Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently riding on a continental 170/80/15. I know it isn't the stock tire. I am thinking about putting a 200/70/15 on my rear tire next. I understand that the 80 makes the speedometer more true compared to the 70. what gains could i expect from the 200 vs the 170?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The 200/70 and 170/80 are very close in diameter. The 200 is barely more than a 1/4" larger overall. It would overdrive you further, but only by about 1%

close enough I'd wager you'd never know the difference. Chatter is that the 170/80 is cheaper and easier to find, tho.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Luciferiad. Thats good to know. I am not going to break my neck or wallet for that matter for a slightly bigger tire when I won't notice the difference anyway.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Most people go for the 200 for the fat tire look. They are a good inch or so wider than a 170. But as luciferiad said is minute amount taller than the 170 you was talking about and probably wont notice any difference. At this point is the fatter tire look worth the extra price to you, because that would be all you are gaining IMHO.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Putting a 200 on the back will stiffen it up a little. At first you feel you need to 'muscle' the bike into tight corners but before too long it feels normal and very very grounded and steady. I like the feel of the bigger tyre (I put little bigger on the front as well - Pirelli's). It makes the bike feel steadier.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have the 200 in the back too. Looks nice, feels solid, makes the speedo much closer to reality. (Some say it also gives you a slightly bigger contact patch but I don't know how much that actually would be.)

Just replaced my tires again last week and went with the 200 a second time. I just love the feel of riding on new tires, makes the whole bike feel new again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts