Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the manual calls for?
Are you running a different weight?

I am about 280 pounds so I wonder if going a little thicker than the book would be better.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hello Zzman the manual says you should use Showa SS-8 oil , which is SAE 10 and 36.5 [email protected] or an equivalent , about using a heavier oil it sounds logical that it will flow slower thus damping more , but I'm not sure how it will affect the overall ride .

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I did 5 weight, but you can also use 10 weight

·
Registered
169 Posts
Heavier oils will slow the damping and rebound, and adding or subtracting oil level (changing the air gap) will effectively change damping progression and bottoming out. Not a deal breaker for a cruiser.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
if you feel that yhe front is "too mushy" a heavier oil will stiffen it up. i like the front to be a little more responsive. there is no standard for fork oil wt. one mfg 10 wt may be the same viscosity as another mfg 5 or 15.

i use maxima brand (be sure to use the non-racing line!!) only just because i know their 10 wt is approx showa ss-8. i like maxima 15 wt.

google "fork oil viscosity comparison" several charts should come up that you can use if you want to compare brands and their various viscosities.

i strongly recommend taking the forks off, turning them upside down to drain and pump them to get ALL of the old, acidic oil out. fill w/ a small amount of new oil, pump, and turn over/pump again to get all of the sludge out. i know kawi does not even have it on the maint schedule, but i do this every 2 - 3 yrs.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I think my is a little mushy. I put on the front brake and can easily compress the shocks.

That is what I was looking for. I want at least a 10 weight and maybe a 15 weight it sounds like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts