Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I currently have a vn1500 and am thinking about looking at a 2005 vn2000. Is there anything that is inherently wrong with the vn2000 like the pog oil gear or 2nd gear popping out that you find in the vn2000? Thanks

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Hi all, I currently have a vn1500 and am thinking about looking at a 2005 vn2000. Is there anything that is inherently wrong with the vn2000 like the pog oil gear or 2nd gear popping out that you find in the vn2000? Thanks
valley guy, yes one major flaw with our venerable v2k, Ma Kaw in her infinite ability to screw the pooch quit this motor after 0hTen. so anybody wanting to own a piece of history the biggest baddest Vtwin mofo sickle has best get one while theyre still fresh an available.
some mite think that maKaw mite wake up an pull her head out her azz an bring this motor back, butt they'd be dreamin. This bus has left the station and kaw is forever married to that shit design v17 which is not much more than a v16 which us not much more than that v15 you are trying to shake.
So if you gott any sense, best find you a beast b4 they go crush em cuz they was too good to be true. poncho

·
Registered
553 Posts
Only complaint is it eats Rear tires about every 6K.
Some do the Darkside to fix that.

Others like me just get a new tire every 6K.

I've tried them all. 6K is it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
yep gotta an 05, love every second we're aboard the beast. Yep second what Dadinator said, eat rear tyres but meh! who cares.

Do the resistor mod to fool the onboard electronics to make all the torque available from off the mark.

The rear shock is passe. OK for single one up riding with no extras and ya a skinny sod. Otherwise replace the afterthought factory unit with something decent, it is weeeeeeell worth the expense believe me.

Worst of all the dang thangs are so highly addictive with all that grunt on tap, Tim the Toolman Taylors ultimate incarnation "more powa, muh-hahaa" .
Cheers Ando

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Only complaint is it eats Rear tires about every 6K. Some do the Darkside to fix that. Others like me just get a new tire every 6K. I've tried them all. 6K is it.
the immense tork is mor than some guys can handle. I get 12-13k out of Metz 880 rears. I employ discipline in right wrist. no need to launch this beast and I ride with smooth fluid movements. Granted I do ride my tires till I see steel cords, but that is while I'm trying to scrub some sidewall rubber in the benders

Attachments

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
There are no inherent problems that can't be fixed. My first one had a bad tick in the engine that required replacement of the HLAs and modification of the rocker shafts. Once that was done, no more tick. On the '04s the kickstand is at an angle that lets the bike lean over too far (not dangerous, just a PIA). I attached a small block to the bottom of the stand. The'04s also have a rear wheel hub/bearing issue that is fixed by replacing the hub with a later model.

I am convinced that the rear tire's short life span issue is caused more by aggressive engine braking than by throttle use. Finesse with the clutch & throttle during engine braking helps some with this, but it's a big, heavy bike and will go through rear tires fairly fast.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I agree with what everyone said above. I kept my V2K for 2 years and had 9k on it when I got ride of it. Take what I say with a grain of salt, it is all relative to each person. I got tired of scrubbing parts on the pavement in turns. I live in a RURAL where there is no such thing as a straight stretch. Loved the bike, would have kept it if I could have afforded 2 bikes. They power is amazing and anything else will make you sick, it is a strong drug and once you had a taste you always want more. I rode mine "Spirited" (that is what I like to call it). It was not HARD all the time, but I put it through its paces. 1st gear useless unless you are recovering trucks from ditches or pulling stumps.

IMO Kaw screwed the pooch by not incorporating this WONDERFUL motor in their touring platform and hooking it up with a 6th gear or the euro gears. If Kaw done this there would be a used 14 Ultra Limited with 9k miles for sell today.

Oh and before I finish up, get used to buying extras used or fabricating your own brackets to make other extras work. Just part of having a bike that is no longer in production. I have not looked much in the last year, but there is still a lot of stuff out there for them, but I don't know for how much longer.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Everyone is forgetting to mention that the stock seat is akin to waterboarding after about 100 miles but thats easily remedied, great bike imho

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Just part of having a bike that is no longer in production. I have not looked much in the last year, but there is still a lot of stuff out there for them, but I don't know for how much longer.
this biek will evolve into some sub kult'ure were the norm is to strip it of everything resembling mfg design and/or mainstream add on krap. those few tormented souls who stay the course and not drift into new latest fad bikes, will express their disdain of social norms thru the art of custom bike. dark, brooding, evoking images... not for wimmin or chilluns..

or just hang a lot shiney krome trinkets all over yor rigg like it was a chinese wind charm.?

some guys adorn their bikes with every doo dad and wind deflector somuchso that they look like a nasa satelitte complete with solar kollectors and attenas. junk sheesh

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
this biek will evolve into some sub kult'ure were the norm is to strip it of everything resembling mfg design and/or mainstream add on krap. those few tormented souls who stay the course and not drift into new latest fad bikes, will express their disdain of social norms thru the art of custom bike. dark, brooding, evoking images... not for wimmin or chilluns..

or just hang a lot shiney krome trinkets all over yor rigg like it was a chinese wind charm.?

some guys adorn their bikes with every doo dad and wind deflector somuchso that they look like a nasa satelitte complete with solar kollectors and attenas. junk sheesh
When I originally got my 2K that is what I wanted to do with it. But after owning it I realized it was an abomination to treat that bike as such. That is something that bike will never be. Yeah I know some folks have done it and like it. I would love to have another one and just strip it down to the bear necessities and enjoy the raw beast.

But on the other hand I can't say that I have not appreciated all the plastic on the HD in this cool foggy fall air when riding to work at 4:30 am. Just wish I could have both.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ponch, put the 200 lbs of stuff you took off that bike back on, add woman on back every time and then tell me you get 10-12k on a tire. ;)

Hehehehehe yep same here, we're fully kitted and two up all the time. (except when commuting to work)

Moving all that mass and the fact we ride fairly 'spiritedly' as another poster so aptly put it tends to punish the rubber somewhat.

Sent from the bottom of the Earth via a Tapatalk clone........……Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
361 Posts

Chinese wind charm......... Hahahahahahahaha nice one, love that, well done Ponch.

Wind deflectors............... Have to admit to loving having them fitted, makes life more laid back on day long excursions.

The last cruiser that had no screen was my ole 1500 intruder when i first got it. Done some 420 odd kms into a strong head wind one day early in the piece. To say the least i was somewhat erm faaaaaaarked at the end if the day.

I promptly bought a screen to make life easier then additional spotlights, then mustang seats, then chrome front guard surround, then rear guard chrome tip, then front guard chrome tip, then willy and max panniers, then bar risers then performance kits, then cobra slash backs, then then then then then.........

I had a fatal addiction of chromitis and modification maddness and empty wallet syndrome............. Feckin cruiser culture eh, lol

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Jueano, AK.? looks like desert mountains..

This is definately NOT Jueano, AK.

there are a lot of pop up advertisements on this forum. the one that currently is displaying is that Hardley Road Glide 'mercial.. the one with the indash GPS nav system. its just like hardley to put this out, just like hardley'ers to do this;
big picture; Hardley guy stops at an intersection
zoom in; He looks to the right and then left and then he looks down at the gps screen. The map shows his route is to the right. He smiles and pulls out.
zoom out; the scene is him and his buddies turning to the left.
conclusion; hardley types dont know how to follow directions

As for reconfiguring the route,, the GPS will continously be reconfiguring in a loop and be barking at you to turn around until you get far enough that a differerent solution presents itself. And of course if you ignore that, it will start the reconfig looping all over again. kinda like having a nagging back seat navigator that wont shut up. turn around, go back, turn around, go back, turn around, go back..

So the only way a GPS has any value is if you put your way points and maps into it B4 you head out and then follow the course. otherwise its just another Annoying piece of distraction, likely will get you run over or killed.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hehehe yeah have to admit it is funny. Most probably the most reliable bit of kit on the machine.

Perhaps the real point of the gps is to really figure out jus were to send the break down truck???????? Haha, Dunno thou eh ;)

Adverts, meh take em or leave em, bein a mere bloke i tend to miss most stuff easily that has little interest to me.

Another wee gem, being that i typically use my drone phone to access the site ya get to miss the large majority of adverts.

Ahhh the joys of a small screen, lol

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
an abomination to treat that bike as such. I would love to have another one and just strip it down to the bear necessities and enjoy the raw beast. Just wish I could have both.
the Abominal snow bear., er, road machine.

the only abomination is hanging krome and dofarbles from every corner, resembles Sasquatch in drag with earrings and lipstick. and she wants you to do her:eek:

·
Registered
361 Posts
the Abominal snow bear., er, road machine.

the only abomination is hanging krome and dofarbles from every corner, resembles Sasquatch in drag with earrings and lipstick. and she wants you to do her:eek:

Eeessh! ya paint a scary pic Ponch, sounds like the odd date from way back in the eighties, lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts