Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I installed the Thunder Manufacturing Air cleaner assembly that uses the stock cover.

Now there's this big, gaping hole on the left side of the bike where the air cleaner USED TO BE. That's ugly.

Does everyone just leave this open, or is there an alternative?

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Look at my pics. in my album. There's something you can buy that's attractive. It was already on my bike. I'm sure cruiser customizing would have it

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I installed my Air Horn in the left side like this.

And of course I cut off the tunnel to let some air flow between cylenders.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was gonna box in the end and shove tools in there.

:D:D:D

Seriously - I did think about lopping off the inside end and just reinstalling the cover assembly.

Putting the air horn in there looks like a great idea !

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
It works great and is out of the weather. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thunder MFG makes a side dress up plate for it.
yeah that price though $130-160... not to mention if its anything like my intake (currently on week 7 of waiting) it'll take a lifetime before your over priced piece of aluminum comes in

·
Registered
894 Posts
Reinstall the empty one . . . turning it into storage is a damn good Idea though!

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have a reasonable roll bag of tools in the "ground floor" of mine, and a roll of duct tape. The "upper level" contains a spare headlight bulb. I just cut two short pieces of sponge water-pipe insulation, pushed the longer piece over the bulb, the shorter piece over the plug, and wedged it into that space shown in David's photo where his wires come out to the Stebel. In the lid itself, I have one of those tubeless tire repair kits.

For such a little area... it's swallowed up a fair amount of tools etc.

Keep an allen key in a storage compartment so you can get in there. You'll feel a bit silly if you've left yourself no way in.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a reasonable roll bag of tools in the "ground floor" of mine, and a roll of duct tape. The "upper level" contains a spare headlight bulb. I just cut two short pieces of sponge water-pipe insulation, pushed the longer piece over the bulb, the shorter piece over the plug, and wedged it into that space shown in David's photo where his wires come out to the Stebel. In the lid itself, I have one of those tubeless tire repair kits.

Keep an allen key in a storage compartment so you can get in there. You'll feel a bit silly if you've left yourself no way in.
Yeah, good ideas. :) :) :)

·
Registered
894 Posts

PICS PLEASE! You may have just freed up some very valuable space for me!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I reinstalled the left side housing. Nothing in it, and doesnt do anything except look stock. Mines on a 12 Voyager.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I did the same thing. Bike looks stock. The dogbowl covers the ugly unfinished polishing of the fins. I hwve seen S8BGR's Vaquero in person. His Chrome cover that he has mounted on le left side is beuatiful. The chrome is impecable.

·
Registered
281 Posts
yeah that price though $130-160... not to mention if its anything like my intake (currently on week 7 of waiting) it'll take a lifetime before your over priced piece of aluminum comes in
Check out Chuckster's Customs. I believe he is a member here. I think he is making a left side cover now for the 1700s. He got my intake to me in 3 days after placing my order. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Looks like a good place to put a fuse block, too.

·
Registered
637 Posts
PICS PLEASE! You may have just freed up some very valuable space for me!
I'd love to... but there's 10,680km or 6,636 miles between my bike and I at this point... You're probably closer to it.

We're reunited on 7 July when my wife & I set out on our summer vacation.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I just left the left side cover attached with nothing running through it. I like the stock look.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just installed Chucksters BAK on my Vaq. I installed Joe's (Chucksters) black cover plate on the left side. I think it was $85 for the black. It looks good, and I like the fact that it leaves the engine more open for cooling between the cylinders. Happy with the look and quality of the cover plate. The chrome and black cover plates are on the web site.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts