Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering what tires you use and which of these 3 you would recommend, was looking at the Dunlop D404’s, Shinko 777’s, Shinko 230 Tourmaster

I’m on a 2004 Vulcan 500, would appreciate help and advice, this is my first bike and will be my first time changing tires{I won’t be changing the tires myself, don’t have the tools for it} (got it around a week ago) and the tires are bald and have a lot of little cracks in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll be picking up my wife's bike from the shop today - will be using it until my bike is repaired - with the 230 on them and as I commute 80 miles r/t daily will be able to give you a 500 mile review next week. These were chosen based on good reviews and cost.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be picking up my wife's bike from the shop today - will be using it until my bike is repaired - with the 230 on them and as I commute 80 miles r/t daily will be able to give you a 500 mile review next week. These were chosen based on good reviews and cost.

Awesome thank you! Look forward to the review

·
Registered
67 Posts
Was wondering what tires you use and which of these 3 you would recommend, was looking at the Dunlop D404’s, Shinko 777’s, Shinko 230 Tourmaster

I’m on a 2004 Vulcan 500, would appreciate help and advice, this is my first bike and will be my first time changing tires{I won’t be changing the tires myself, don’t have the tools for it} (got it around a week ago) and the tires are bald and have a lot of little cracks in them.

I've had Shinko tires on my Virago and now I have Shinko 230's on my Vulcan 900 classic. Great tires. Wear well..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had Shinko tires on my Virago and now I have Shinko 230's on my Vulcan 900 classic. Great tires. Wear well..

So one vote for the 230’s and one tentative vote waiting for review, how did they handle? I’m basically wanting something that’s a good balance between mileage, handling, and in the sub $100 per tire range

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I've got about 1200 miles on my 230's. They hold the road well. I seem to remember they are expected to last about 7K miles but other people have told me they've got 10K miles on theirs with no issues.

I change my own tires and do my own drive shaft spline lubing so I don't mind the 7K life-span of mileage, especially since that may be a low-end estimate anyway. Whenever the tires necessitate the rear wheel to come off for a change, that will be the time I lube the splines so the two tasks will be linked for me.

So far they're giving me more than my money's worth of service.

Shinko is a Japanese owned company but their manufacturing plant is in Korea.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got about 1200 miles on my 230's. They hold the road well. I seem to remember they are expected to last about 7K miles but other people have told me they've got 10K miles on theirs with no issues.

I change my own tires and do my own drive shaft spline lubing so I don't mind the 7K life-span of mileage, especially since that may be a low-end estimate anyway. Whenever the tires necessitate the rear wheel to come off for a change, that will be the time I lube the splines so the two tasks will be linked for me.

So far they're giving me more than my money's worth of service.

Shinko is a Japanese owned company but their manufacturing plant is in Korea.

I want to do all the wrenching on my bike but I have no tools :O lol, I’m really almost considering springing for Michelin Commander 2’s, the local recommended mechanic quoted me I think 240-260$ for Dunlop 404’s, the tubes, and installation

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello all

I run Metzeler ME888 myself on both my 900 and 1700. Very happy with them. Did not get good fortune with Dunlop D404

That was another consideration, was still leaning towards the commanders because there only like $10/15$ more

·
Registered
331 Posts
I use Dunlop 404s. I keep it simple--stock, old, proven, been around a long time. Off with the old 404s, on with the new ones. Great grip, good for rain. There is a trade off of wear vs grip. I won't trade grip for longevity. And how long they last is relative anyway as to the rider and how well he manages his tire pressure, road surface, etc. I get new tires probably more than I should. Just me.

But you can't go wrong with any of the ones you mentioned. It's mostly what you're used to and are confident with.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use Dunlop 404s. I keep it simple--stock, old, proven, been around a long time. Off with the old 404s, on with the new ones. Great grip, good for rain. There is a trade off of wear vs grip. I won't trade grip for longevity. And how long they last is relative anyway as to the rider and how well he manages his tire pressure, road surface, etc. I get new tires probably more than I should. Just me.

But you can't go wrong with any of the ones you mentioned. It's mostly what you're used to and are confident with.

That’s the thing, this is my first bike so I’m only used to bald tires D,: lol, how much mileage do you get out of your tires?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Metzler 888's have a larger ground contact pattern than the earlier 880's. I seem to remember they're longer lasting, too, but I might be getting that mixed up with another tire.

I didn't get the 888's because, at the time I was looking for tires, Metzler didn't make the 888's in the size of my rear tire and, frankly, I wasn't getting enough mileage per year on the bike that I wanted to get. The tires would have crapped from age before I would get close to the mileage limitations on them. Part of that is simply from living here in western Washington due to the weather in the rainy season.

If I was in Texas, or Florida, and if they had my rear tire size I'd have gone with the Metzler's even though they cost a lot more than the Shenko's.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Both Hidalgo and Sioux have Dunlop D404F on the front in the 110/90-19 size and Michelin Commander II on the rear in the stock size 140/90-15.

The Dunlop's are good for about 14-15,000 miles on the front.

The Michelin's are a new tire for me (recommended by a friend with over 100,000 miles on his H-D) but initial wear is looking positive. Currently 6,000 miles on Hidalgo's and the tread depth is 5/32" vs less than 1,000 miles on Sioux at 8/32". A *LOT* of 2-up riding at 70+mph on Hidalgo is probably accelerating its wear. Compare accordingly.

Hidalgo is on the left:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Both Hidalgo and Sioux have Dunlop D404F on the front in the 110/90-19 size and Michelin Commander II on the rear in the stock size 140/90-15.

The Dunlop's are good for about 14-15,000 miles on the front.

The Michelin's are a new tire for me (recommended by a friend with over 100,000 miles on his H-D) but initial wear is looking positive. Currently 6,000 miles on Hidalgo's and the tread depth is 5/32" vs less than 1,000 miles on Sioux at 8/32". A *LOT* of 2-up riding at 70+mph on Hidalgo is probably accelerating its wear. Compare accordingly.

Hidalgo is on the left:

Is there a difference with the d404f? How many miles do you get out of a D404 on the rear or do you not typically use those on the rear? There’s other things I need to do to the bike and tools I need to buy so I’m almost wondering if I should just get the 404’s for now. Oh Bill while your on here, what motorcycle stand do you use when working on your bikes?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Is there a difference with the d404f? How many miles do you get out of a D404 on the rear or do you not typically use those on the rear? There’s other things I need to do to the bike and tools I need to buy so I’m almost wondering if I should just get the 404’s for now. Oh Bill while your on here, what motorcycle stand do you use when working on your bikes?

The D404F is designed for use on the front. I would get about 5-6,000 miles out of a D404 on the rear. Hence the desire for a longer wearing tire. Dunlop used to make their Elite II in our size and it wore well (18,000 miles) but they no longer do. I also used to use a car tire on the rear but when I changed to a cast rim (and removed the tube) the handling was not as crisp so in the interest of reducing flat tires I went back to the m/c tire.

Regarding work stands, I don’t have one. Except for when I was working beside a motorcycle dealer I have not used a stand. Careful balancing and a small floor jack have done the job.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Shinko, Shinko, Shinko! I'm running 230's on my Honda 1100 Tourer (10K miles and half the tread left), 777's on my Classic 1500, and have 230's to go on my new to me Nomad. Love the ride, the grip, the wear and the price. Most I've paid for a set is $168 delivered to my door. Chaparral Motorsports, great to deal with. Also use Ride On to balance and hopefully seal any leaks.

I've run Dunlop and Michelin tires....Shinko!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Shinko, Shinko, Shinko! I'm running 230's on my Honda 1100 Tourer (10K miles and half the tread left), 777's on my Classic 1500, and have 230's to go on my new to me Nomad. Love the ride, the grip, the wear and the price. Most I've paid for a set is $168 delivered to my door. Chaparral Motorsports, great to deal with. Also use Ride On to balance and hopefully seal any leaks.

I've run Dunlop and Michelin tires....Shinko!
How do you like the Ride On? How is on balancing? I have some, but have not put it in yet.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The shop that’s doing my tires had the 404s in so I decided to just go ahead with those, will try the shinko‘ smelt time though, thank you all for the fantastic help and advice!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
texasgrape.....I highly recommend it. Never had to see if it really seals (as far as I know!) but it's great for balancing. The nice thing is that over time and wear it adjusts to keep the balance right. Some say it makes a mess on the rim and inside the tire. Haven't found this to be the case. Whenever I change tires, the Ride On is on the inside face/contact patch....none on the inner side walls or my rim. It's mostly for no tube tires as it won't help flats on tubed tires if the tube splits. My Classic has tubes and I put it in there also, strictly for the balance. This stuff has never caused a problem with my valve stems, whereas beads are notorious for jamming them.

Hope this helps. BTW, I bought some for my son's tubed classic last time he changed tires. Wouldn't do anything to put him in danger or that I didn't thing was the best thing going.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I put some in my front today and I felt a small difference. Will put it in my rear tomorrow and report back. I have a Classic 800 w/tubes or course.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts