Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm going to be replacing my tires, probably when i get to fallon nv, and was wondering what you guys were using for tires on your 900's. i put shinko 230's on my kz, and they did pretty fabulous in the wet last friday night on my way home from work(least fun ride ever!). so i'm seriously considering them for my vn900. they are one of the top recommended tires on the gs resources forums.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can't recommend anything, but I can say to avoid the metzler 880s. I replaced the stock Dunlops with them and I much preferred the Dunlops.

I should say that the metzlers did take me on a 3700 mile journey from Florida to washington state safely; riding from everything ranging from sandy, gravel, wet and icy conditions. But there is something with the overall feel of them. The bike just doesn't feel as stable in turns and are easier to lock up with hard braking.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I went with the Michelin Commander 2 170/80 on the rear, taller than the stock Dunlop 180 tire and almost as wide. The taller tire corrected the speedo issue. I will get twice the milage that I got out of the Dunlop. Stock dunlop was bald at 6k miles, have 9k miles on the Michelin and still lots of tread left. Happy with the handling, i am a fair weather rider so I can't comment about how well it works in wet conditions.

WB

·
Registered
166 Posts
I went with Wild Bill recommendation Michelin C II 170/80 on rear 80/90/21 on the front. Shinkos were crap on my Custom, didn't get 6k miles out of them according to mileage when PO put them on. the 170/80 handles better than the 180/70 I replaced.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I run the stock Dunlop 404's, but in the 170/80/15 rear 10-12k miles
130/90/16 front 13-15k miles

Less than $300.00 delivered, mounted, balanced,tubes,installed

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Put shinkos on my 9,Handled great,no complaints,put 2k and no wear,sold it ,guy said ohh new tires,I said pretty new,still has them on it

·
Registered
521 Posts
Have the original Dunlops on it.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Michelin Commander II

·
Registered
110 Posts
Metzeler me888, ultras. Did a lot of research and installed these sweets about 2 months ago. Went with the taller tire on rear, which dropped the rpm's slightly. Took a weekend trip with friends, about 700 miles, few weeks ago and found it to be a smoother ride (don't feel those small bumps as much), doesn't track on groves, and handles same if not better in cornering. Biggest improvement for me, is a little less "buzz" in seat and hands while cruisen' around 65 - 70. As far as wet roads, got caught in rain last weekend, gripped well, but didn't try to push it. Good luck in your selection.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Avon Roadrunner 230 in rear, Factory Dunlop 404 in the front, but its very worn, going to go to a 90 tire most likely Avon to match the front.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Went with the Kenda Kruz on the rear. I can check but probably 1500-2000 km on it. 1000 km last week alone. Better ride. Seams to handle good. Haven't had rain so I'm not sure, but the reviews speak highly of wet traction also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm running Dunlop Cruisermax. Chose them because I wanted WW, but ride and handling are great.

[/URL][/IMG]
I'm not really a 'whitewall guy', but those look great on your bike, Paulie! :good:

After reading about a gazillion reviews from fellow cruiser riders, I ordered a pair of Michelin Commander II's, in stock sizes (80/90-21 & 180/70-15).

Have no idea of the longevity of the OEM stockers, as my 2007 has less than 2,000 miles on it. So, not an issue of tread, just age.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
Bridgestone's WW

Attachments

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
Me?? Mustang Day Tripper. Super comfy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been doing a diy seat mod on my seat, since I don't want to get a seat and have the one size fits some happen. I'm rather lacking when it comes to the backside. gotta love having a boney frame:serious:

·
Registered
50 Posts
For my 09 vulcan 900 custom. I asked a shop for replacement tires. The quoted me the following. For Dunlop tires. 225.09 both tires. Not sure if install is included but he said 90 each tire for install and balancing. For the dealer tires its 392.57. Are these prices decent of are they robbing me

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts