Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested to know what BRAND and SIZE tires everyone is running front and rear.

Also, how do they compare to the stock tires as far as grip and handling?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I run the Metzler 880's. They have proven to be just right for me, have yet to take a corner too hard for them to hold on to, yet I just got nearly 13000 miles on my back tire {new one going on tomarrow as a matter of fact} I run the 200-70/15 rear and the 90/90-21 up front. There are a couple of brands that you can get the 90/90 but the Metz is the only one that fits inside the stock front fender on the Custom, and even that is snug, but I really like the look and the bike is still very nimble.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ive been on this tire thing for a while and most people do run Metzelers. The stock tires have a reputation for wearing out fast and are considered by some dealers to be a lower end tire. I am selling an Avon Venom 200/70/15 brand new for $150.00 and from what I have read it's just as good as a Metzeler or Pirelli. You can't run a 200 if you have the scootworks front pulley, which is what I have run into, although someone did say he runs a 200 Pirelli but I can't see how it would fit according to the dealers mounted diameter.

·
Registered
343 Posts
So does the 200 rear tire make the speedo more accurate?Checked mine with gps today & found it is off by 6mph (reading high)

·
Registered
684 Posts
The best price I found on Metzler 880's was motorcyclesuperstore.com I was buying stock size for a 2004 Vulcan Classic 1500, and both tires cost me about $225 (free shipping). The local store wanted $389 for both tires plus $90 to mount them. Now they get to mount the ones I bought somewhere else (still $90, at least they are willing to do that). The service from MS was excellent, I got the tires within a few days of the order.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just put on the Avon 200/70-15 & it just fits.Speedo is right on now & I set up more. I like the way it sounds like its working the motor more now, shifting @ same speedo reading was before, but actually doing that speed.Thanks for the good deal on the tire TyHawk

Also running a Kendra stock size on the front as PO gave it to me with the classic.It is bigger than the stocker,with the chrome tips on the fender it was hitting till I moved the fender forward a smidge

·
Registered
382 Posts
car tires! lol... running factory tires until they're done. Then I'll go shopping and see what I can find- good value but excellent safety and long life in a MC tire.

back to the car tires, I do like the old 70s white letter car tires on older bikes with the fenders chopped off. Kind of looks like a 'musclebike'.

·
Registered
343 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts