Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'05 800 Michelin Commander II tires front and rear.
Solo rider 165 lbs, no luggage.

I still don't know what psi I should set both my tires at. What tire pressure are you guys using?

·
Registered
22 Posts
My book states 28 I think, I was lax last year checking my pressure and worn out front tire was result. I check every few days now and run and even thirty in front and back.

·
Registered
110 Posts
tires should have a max psi rating - and there is a plate on the frame near the front tire of my custom that lists the psi for front and rear - i belive mine is 40 front and 32 rear

·
Registered
59 Posts
tires should have a max psi rating - and there is a plate on the frame near the front tire of my custom that lists the psi for front and rear - i belive mine is 40 front and 32 rear
I have a Nomad and the recommendation is just to opposite of that stated. You may have those reversed or just different bikes configurations.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Wow, I have Pirelli Route 66 tires on my 05 800, and my motorcycle mechanic told me 34/36 F/R. Same for my wife's bike, a 2000 Honda Shadow 600 with the same type of tire.

10k on 6-yr old tires, they still grip OK - not great, but OK.

-John

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what I did on the Michelins is go 36F/38R, and I think I am pleased because my 15 mile ride on that yesterday went really good, I liked the feel, and I find that the tubes stopped leaking bits of air when I started using those metal valve caps I bought, the ones with the value stem remover prongs on the ends, also my new tire pressure gauge I got at NAPA is working out just great too, I now have 5 gauges and only this NAPA one works the way I like

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The number printed on the sidewall is a do-not-exceed pressure when the tire is cold. With the tires aired up that much, the wear will be the least, because the tires will be stiffer and have less contact patch.

Lots of guys run that because they don't really ride very hard (and neither do I), and they are mostly concerned with tire wear.

My personal opinion is to start with the recommendation on the sticker (found under the seat on the rear fender usually, with a copy in your manual) and adjust from there. Lower pressures will provide a more supple ride, improve handling, improve suspension, and improve braking and wet weather performance. Higher pressures will increase tire life. Find yourself a good balance. On my Vaquero, I run what the sticker says and find the bike handles great at that pressure.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think his whole post is confusing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts