Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a couple of threads related to tire pressure, but none were really addressing my question and I wanted it to be 900 Custom specific.

So, I'm wondering what tire pressure you're running front and rear?

Manual says 40 front and 28 (for 205 lbs and below) rear. I thought that was really odd, so I went 30 front and 38 rear, and wow..this bike gets seriously unstable w/that tire pressure.

In the past couple of weeks when I've been running that, I've had the front wash out on me once (although I did manage to save it, but my knee is paying the price) and I get pretty unstable going through turns. I can feel the rear wallowing around and the front actually wobbled on me a bit today.

I'm a fairly aggressive sportbike rider, so I tend to want to push the Vulcan harder than I probably should.

So I guess my real question is, for spirited riding on the 900 Custom, what tire pressures do you recommend?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
My brother and I got into a 'discussion' about this a while back. He says go with what the bike maker says, I say go with what the tire maker says, I'm running 40/40 on the Metz get good traction and MPG as well as good wear life.
The irony is that both you and your brother are right. The bike companies want to sell bikes and those bikes have to be comfortable to ride for those who just go out for a putt. Richard, you are right when you follow the suggestions of the tire company because the handling improves and the tread life increases but comfort is compromised. Nice that we have a choice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts