Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so Honda is so desperate they have to come and advertise on a kawa forum .that is laughable:act-up::act-up:

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Why would they advertise on a Honda forum? They've already got those customers!

The forum is full of metric-owning motorcyclists. Seems like a logical place to advertise! Hondas been putting up some serious numbers, I don't think 'desperation' has anything to do with their current marketing campaign.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Why would they advertise on a Honda forum? They've already got those customers!
LOL...makes sense!!

The forum is full of metric-owning motorcyclists. Seems like a logical place to advertise! Hondas been putting up some serious numbers, I don't think 'desperation' has anything to do with their current marketing campaign.
There's a legion of ppl upgrading from the Kaw 900 to a larger power plant (engine) that don't (maybe can't) want to gravitate to the heavy Flagship Kaw 1700 line. So where do they go? Ah, Honda makes a 1300 Custom line, including the Sabre, Interstate, and Stateline models. Even the Fury is equipped with a 1300.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I looked at the Interstate, etc and they all look too much like they are trying to be custom choppers. Tiny gas tanks and all. Something about them just looks... wrong to me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Friend of mine has the stateline. Its a nice ride but dang it is extremely long(9feet) Makes it a pain to put in the back of his truck and what not. Its an okay ride comfort wise just mot my style and I love my Vaq.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Friend of mine has the stateline. Its a nice ride but dang it is extremely long(9feet) Makes it a pain to put in the back of his truck and what not. Its an okay ride comfort wise just mot my style and I love my Vaq.
Must not be THAT comfortable if you have to keep loading it on a truck :p

·
Registered
775 Posts
The last model they made that interested me was the Valkyrie.
They dropped the Valk to make the P.O.S. VTX 1800 that they have also dropped.
Good riddance.
Their cruisers are LAME.
Not that the 1300 is a bad motor since it's nicer and sounds better than the 1800 but they now look like Victories (gay looking) and sport tiny gas tanks,skinny tires,and useless saddlebags.

JJ

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The last model they made that interested me was the Valkyrie.
They dropped the Valk to make the P.O.S. VTX 1800 that they have also dropped.
Good riddance.
Their cruisers are LAME.
Not that the 1300 is a bad motor since it's nicer and sounds better than the 1800 but they now look like Victories (gay looking) and sport tiny gas tanks,skinny tires,and useless saddlebags.

JJ
My wifes 750 is an awesome bike. Well built, has features usually only on much bigger bikes (nice dual suspension, a non-useless helmet lock, EFI, etc.) It's got a STRONG motor that is super smooth. Plus, Honda reliability!

But you've gotta be a pretty small rider (and my wife is) to be comfortable on that 750. It's a small bike for sure! Cramped riding position. Works great for her though!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I looked at the Interstate, etc and they all look too much like they are trying to be custom choppers. Tiny gas tanks and all. Something about them just looks... wrong to me.
I dont like the big gap from the top of the forward jug to the frame/tank at the neck. Looks dumb. And, the rear fender seems out of proportion too. I may be able to overlook those faults if it weren't for the somewhat strange riding position and wide handlebars. If I turn the wheel to lock, I could barely hold on to the bar with my extended arm, and I'm 5'10". It seems that the best looking cruiser they make is the anemic 750cc Shadow line (Phantom looks especially nice).

+1 on the Valkyrie, and especially the Rune. IMHO that Rune was one of the sexiest, original Metric bikes made.

Why did Honda lose their way?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Honda is playing on their strengths. Why doesn't Kawasaki make a flat-4 upright goldwing-esque touring bike anymore? Why doesn't Harley-Davidson make sportbikes anymore? It's not that these companies have lost their way, they are just playing to their market. The Buell had a cult following but most folks would rather have a better handling, better performing, more reliably Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki or Kawasaki sportbike. Kawasaki's Voyager (pre 1700 Voyager) couldn't compete with the 'king', the GoldWing.

Honda is selling popular sportbikes, and the GoldWing is kind of the flagship touring motorcycle. Even if it isn't what you or I would prefer (we're on a forum for a large-framed V-Twin metric cruiser; wanna guess what we like?), the GoldWing is a very popular bike. It's also a pretty high tech machine, even if you don't like it, you have to appreciate the innovations Honda brings to the table with that one.

I, for one, think Honda is doing some cool things. The rune isn't likely to sell as it's a small market. Even if you can find 50 internet buddies to say they want it, doesn't mean it will sell. Look at how many people on this forum adore the V2K? But it was a flop, it didn't sell well at all! Can't argue with the numbers. They are a business, after all, and if it doesn't sell, it goes. WHY it didn't sell, myself and I'm sure anyone who has ridden or owned a V2K is probably asking the same question, but it didn't. I think the bottom line is, if people are going to spend that much money on a bike with that much power, they generally want it on a touring frame. Hence, the F6B. A touring bike, with a little more attitude, something 'in the middle' between the Rune and the 'Wing.

So Honda isn't making another 'classic' Cruiser. But they are making some cool bikes! I think Honda will always be a sport and sport-tourer company (the Goldwing is pretty much a sport touring bike, or a 'standard' if you will). I don't think they INTEND to be in the cruiser market.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
If I had the $$ and the time, I'd love to have a gold wing. I'd still want to keep the 900.

Honda just like Kawasaki are in it for the money. A great deal of research goes into their designs even if we don't like what we see. They all have their hits and misses!

The Rune was a monster. It is a fascinating bike but impractical for the every day guy. The Jay Leno's of the world want to own them.

I remember how I loved the sounds of the Honda 50's as a kid but couldn't own one. Those kids were having a blast on them and I was riding a briggs&stratton 2 1/2hp mini bike. :D The story of my life....

·
Registered
636 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
They should take the 1800 GW motor and make a Valk type bike with hard bags & a windshield.
It would be cheaper to make than the f6b and much easier to customize.
You can't even put highway pegs on the f6b and the bags are smaller than my Valkyrie.
An 1800 Valk would handle better,be lighter and faster than all the cruisers.

JJ

·
Registered
415 Posts
Honda should bring back the bigger shadow they use to have(1100cc) instead now make it in the 1300cc line, the only medium cruiser out there that appeals to me is the vstar 1300, i came from a 750 honda and am real happy with my 900 right now...wally...

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Not too excited about Hondas these past few years, had a CB Honda 750 Four back in 75' that was great.

These Honda Ruckus Scoots are now popular in California and Florida. They look cool to play around with.

1372984080798.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
so Honda is so desperate they have to come and advertise on a kawa forum .that is laughable:act-up::act-up:
I don't own a Kawasaki and I'm on this forum. Seems to reason they would advertise everywhere they could.

I WAS looking at a Suzuki M109R Boulevard until I saw a Kawasaki advertisement on a Suzuki forum...

win win...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had an M109R. It is a beast!! It has so many problems however with the design, I sold it. They are notorious for tearing up the tranny, the secondary gear, for blowing oil out of the intake on occasion (even if not over filled), destroying motor mounts after 10-15K miles and snapping the clutch cable fairly frequently.

That said, it was the most fun bike I have ever ridden and I got my first when I was 15. If you don't mind tinkering with your bike a lot, it's great. I'm more into reliability at this stage in my life (50s').

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had an M109R. It is a beast!! It has so many problems however with the design, I sold it. They are notorious for tearing up the tranny, the secondary gear, for blowing oil out of the intake on occasion (even if not over filled), destroying motor mounts after 10-15K miles and snapping the clutch cable fairly frequently.

That said, it was the most fun bike I have ever ridden and I got my first when I was 15. If you don't mind tinkering with your bike a lot, it's great. I'm more into reliability at this stage in my life (50s').
I'm leaning toward a touring bike as well.. i'm 42 and leaning over is getting old for sportbikes... need to be comfortable and be able to haul a few cases of beer on occasion... I dont really like driving a car much anymore.

·
Registered
440 Posts
i had all honda's from the 750 -1300 great bikes but when i went to get a new 1300 i didnt like the new ones . the vtx line pre new models where the highest selling bikes to record. then they messed it up with the new models...i ended up getting my vaquero , awesome bike. but not as worry free as the honda's were.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts