Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

· Super Moderator
1,297 Posts

Reactions: Tourer

· Registered
2019 VN900 Custom
180 Posts
I used Mobil1 15w-50 on my first oil change.

I bought a 6-pack of Mobil1 T4 10w-40 for the next time.

· Super Moderator
6,281 Posts

· Registered
2012 Nomad
1,893 Posts
I had Rotella in it for a month. Then switched over to Castrol 10W50 because I live in a hot climate. Bought 6 quarts from Amazon. Good price.

I used the same Castrol on my last change but in 1040. Same reason; good oil, good deal on Amazon
Could you tell any difference between the Rotella and Castrol?

· Registered
2020 VN900D Classic LT
293 Posts
I use Canadian Kawasaki S4 10W40 Synthetic that I purchase from my dealer.. It comes in an oil change kit that includes 4 liters of oil, plus an oil filter. a new drain plug gasket and even a set of gloves so you don't get your hands oily.. https://www.kawasaki.ca/en-ca/shop/maintenance/synthetic-oil/20461/s4-professional-maintenance-kit

What's odd is that this Canadian S4 synthetic oil isn't available in the States.. In the U.S, Kawasaki's synthetic 10W40 motorcycle oil has a completely different label. Check out this Kawasaki Kawasaki Performance 4-Stroke Full Synthetic Oil, Quart, 10W-40

I'm assuming it's the same stuff... I can understand the liter bottle in Canada and quart bottle in the US, but I can't figure out why the labels are completely different.

· Registered
1 Posts
I learned the hard way that synthetic oil made my clutch plates slip on my 2003 Vulcan Classic and had to replace them. Mine is lubricated via the crank case oil so how is it no one else has had this problem?

· Super Moderator
1,297 Posts
I learned the hard way that synthetic oil made my clutch plates slip on my 2003 Vulcan Classic and had to replace them. Mine is lubricated via the crank case oil so how is it no one else has had this problem?
Friction modifiers were the culprit in your clutch slippage, not the oil itself. Avoid oils that have "Energy Conserving" or "Resource Conserving" on the API seal.

Reactions: Sabre-t

· Super Moderator
2,995 Posts
It's been quite a while ago but I believe it was Mobil 1 full synthetic, but now I'm wary to try it again.
There are a number of full synthetics under the Mobil 1 brand. A couple are for motorcycles and would not have friction modifiers. Some are for cars with and without friction modifiers. If you used one of the ones for cars, it's quite likely that you used one with friction modifiers.

You can get oils that are not full syn that have friction modifiers, so just staying away from full syn and not educating yourself on what to look for in a motorcycle oil can land you in the same situation again.

· Registered
400 Posts
Mobile 1 MC 20/50 In Florida summer, 10/40 winter.
Valvoline Dino MC 20/50 if M-1 is out of stock.
Always shifted weird with the Casterol MC 10/40 (in the old 2005 when I tried it).
previous owner used quick silver MC 10/40. Motor/gear box sounded noisier to me with quick silver

· Registered
104 Posts
If it
There are a number of full synthetics under the Mobil 1 brand. A couple are for motorcycles and would not have friction modifiers. Some are for cars with and without friction modifiers. If you used one of the ones for cars, it's quite likely that you used one with friction modifiers.

You can get oils that are not full syn that have friction modifiers, so just staying away from full syn and not educating yourself on what to look for in a motorcycle oil can land you in the same situation again.
If doesn't say JASO MA1 and MA2, leave it alone. I lost a full set of clutch plates on a VTX 1800 with 10K miles because i didn't read the fine print on Mobile oils.

· Registered
400 Posts
Bike is a 2009 900 Classic with 2500 miles. Changed oil to Rotella and the shifting seemed off. A lot of false in gear and then popped back into neutral. Changed to the Castrol and have driven 200 miles with no issue.
I just tried Rotella. so cheap, many good reviews. I am having wonky shifting issues as well. 2nd gear usually. I’m going back to Valvoline Dino mc. easy to get, fairly cheap, and the quietest gearbox out of all the Dino oils I have tried.

· Registered
104 Posts
Rotella T6 15w40 Synthetic oil is JASO MA1 and MA2. However, it comes in two weights 5w40 and 15w40. My Vaquero shifts well on the 15w40. However a friend of mine used 5w40 and had shifting issues as well. He switched to 15w40 and all was right with the world. Many oils of the Semi Syn Rotella oil doesn't say JASO MA1 and MA2, read the label.
Not all weights are rated JASO MA M2 ,Stay with 15-w40.
Note:5w40 Does not appear to be a viable option. Way too little weight for moderate and hot climates.;)

· Super Moderator
1,297 Posts
Rotella T6 15w40 Synthetic oil is JASO MA1 and MA2. However, it comes in two weights 5w40 and 15w40. My Vaquero shifts well on the 15w40. However a friend of mine used 5w40 and had shifting issues as well. He switched to 15w40 and all was right with the world. Many oils of the Semi Syn Rotella oil doesn't say JASO MA1 and MA2, read the label.
Not all weights are rated JASO MA M2 ,Stay with 15-w40.
Note:5w40 Does not appear to be a viable option. Way too little weight for moderate and hot climates.;)
Huh? The weight for moderate and hot climates is the same on both. 40 weight. The 5 and 15 are the cold weather winter weights.

Reactions: Sabre-t
81 - 100 of 101 Posts