Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So we have been riding the 500 a bit. I really like that bike.
I went over the cooling system and I changed the coolant a week ago. It gave me an excuse to take the tank off and get a look around.

I am thinking about what spares if any I should keep on hand for a bike that is out of production.

I did get a set of cast wheels and the early speedo drive to have for the next tire change.
I did pick up a fuel tap rebuild kit, just to have on hand.
I did replace the rubber gasket that is under the instrument cluster as it was pretty cracked.

What else might I consider?
Carb rebuild kit?
Igniter unit?
Relay Box?
Coolant temp sensors upper/lower?
Electric fan?
Rear brake parts?
Bearings / seals / rubber parts?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Well I thought strange question.
A lot of parts can be found on ebay.
I have a 1995 model and I have no spare parts.
I guess I dont anticipate a break down.
Parts can be found, there are always bikes being put in the junk heap.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
About the only things I have ‘needed’ while traveling are spare fuses, electrical tape, and zip ties.

But then I do do a Lot of preventative maintenance.

Here is a pic of all the tools that I carry on Hidalgo:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@vulcandoc @bikerbill Thanks for the replies.
I was thinking about spare parts to have at home. I was not thinking about parts to carry while riding.
As someone who does the Iron Butt rides, I can surely respect that picture with the tools laid out, as I try to identify each one.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I was thinking about spare parts to have at home. I was not thinking about parts to carry while riding.

Oh, different set of ‘spares’.

I keep all fluids on-hand: anti-freeze, engine oil and filters, chain oil, and distilled water. When inspecting the valves I replace the tube o-rings with locally sourced ones so I don’t keep them on-hand but I should.

I don’t have much more than that. I order other consumables as needed. Tires, tubes, chain/sprockets, etc.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks for pic, bikerbill!

I have spare set of cylinder and pistons and some electrical stuff like bulbs and fuses. That's it.

Engine is almost the same on 4 different bikes so there will be used parts for long time, I don't worry about this.
You, however, can get carburetor boots as they degrade overtime and become hard as plastic.
Seals, orings, gaskets - all this can be made and matched to OEM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts