Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wondering how tall and wide is possible with no mods?
And will going to a 170 in the rear instead of a 180 correct the speedo as someone mentioned?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I don't know about the 900 but my 750's speedometer runs off the front wheel. I put a taller front tire (from a 100 to a 110) on mine to help do what you are looking to do.

A 750's speedo is normally off maybe 10% with the stock height tire and I brought it more to 5% or 6%. The speedo shows a faster speed than actually being travelled.

To that end, I generally look at my speedo as being cop-proof as they can never catch me for speeding if I set the speedometer on whatever the speed limit is. I use my GPS for knowing my actual speed.

So, my speedometer is my police speed, my GPS is my true speed.

Is the 900 run off the rear?

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I was using 200 in the rear. The 200 is a little bit taller than 180 i had a small almost insignificant correction to the speedo. 200 is the biggest tire you can fit in the back without modifications. 170 will only increase the difference.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I guess the 900 does run the speedo off the rear, then. Well, if my own experience is any indication, I used the next taller tire and gained around 4 -5% closer to truth. It seems logical that if you go two sizes taller you'd get it closer to the truth.
How far off is the stock tire sized speedometer from reality?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I guess the 900 does run the speedo off the rear, then. Well, if my own experience is any indication, I used the next taller tire and gained around 4 -5% closer to truth. It seems logical that if you go two sizes taller you'd get it closer to the truth.
How far off is the stock tire sized speedometer from reality?
The 900's speedo runs off a crankshaft sensor, so kind of indirectly off the rear wheel. Mine read consistently 10% high (e.g. 72 indicated = 65 true), which is fairly common, until I installed the Baron front pulley. Now it's dead on.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Two big time different approaches to working the speedometer. Of course, my bike's design is from the early-mid 80's.

The only thing in common is the 10% off high reading.

Its nice that you can do something to get it actually correct.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It's nothing new, sadly. All but one of my bikes has been 10-15% off; the only exception was my 2016 CB500F. I don't understand why it's so bloody difficult for manufacturers to get it right. (Don't get me started on fuel gauges.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts