Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 VN900 SE and need to know what size the drive belt is. Width and # of teeth etc. I'm looking for a slightly longer belt to move the rear wheel back about an inch. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I assume you didn't measure it during the Avon fit check. You're a day late or would have measured mine when I had it apart yesterday.

If you can't get the info you can tape string or something to the belt and rotate the wheel around to get a measurement, then count the # teeth per inch.

·
Registered
308 Posts
anyone know how many miles should we expect w/ the original belt?

@TyHawk i know i read somewhere about the belt size, but i can't find it.. so if it's that important to you ;], i can measure it tomorrow...

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The pricing on this belt is beyond stupid. There's no way this drive belt should cost that much, there has to be an aftermarket alternative. It shouldn't cost more than $50.

Do any of you guys work in an automotive environment where you could check something out? I looked on the internet and found that a 2000-01 VW Passat uses an 153 tooth drive belt. Product ID = 859506570, Desc = T317 Import Timing Belt. It costs between $30 - $40. Maybe you could see if it matches our belt?

This link is to the Gates catalog showing the specs for the T317.
http://www.gatespowerpro.com/Comergent/en/US/adirect/gates?cmd=catSearchFrame&domProductQueryName=t317&returnURL=http://www.gatespowerpro.com/Comergent/en/US/adirect/gates&returnTarget=_top&gotoAdvSearch=false&CFID=18456636&CFTOKEN=55545364

This is a link to Gates T153 specs:
http://www.gatespowerpro.com/Comergent/en/US/adirect/gates?cmd=catSearchFrame&domProductQueryName=t153&returnURL=http://www.gatespowerpro.com/Comergent/en/US/adirect/gates&returnTarget=_top&gotoAdvSearch=false&CFID=18456636&CFTOKEN=55545364

My guess is that if we can get the specs off our Vulcan drive belt, we could match it to a Gates or Dayton belt at 10% of the OEM cost and not lose any durability.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I ended up with 152 teeth
1 1/8" wide 28.5mm,
93" circumference 235.2 cm
5/8" tooth size 17.5mm
Don't know the pitch
What I need is something about 4 teeth longer. The Gates company doesn't seem to offer this info. The OEM belt must not be a Gates with the 59011-0021 number because nothing comes up with that number.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I measured my stock belt last night and this is what i came up with:

6" = 11 teeth

Width = 1" (25.4mm)
Thickness = 0.435" (11mm) (Top of belt to bottom of tooth)
Pitch = 0.55" (14mm)
Pitch Length = 83.5" (2121mm) (I think this is their belt length measurement)

I figured pitch length by setting up an equation of 6"/11t = x"/153t.

I'm trying to cross over to another belt using these parameters. I believe that if we maintain the 14mm pitch and add teeth, we can adjust the belt length to accomodate for the front pulley change and any added tire circumference.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm waiting to see the carnage from someone using a timing belt as a drive belt. Construction and materials are entirely different since it doesn't take much torque to spin a cam shaft. Timing belts also stretch.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I'm waiting to see the carnage from someone using a timing belt as a drive belt. Construction and materials are entirely different since it doesn't take much torque to spin a cam shaft. Timing belts also stretch.
So i'm finding out. The quality of the belt is quite a bit different. I've contacted Gates with the belt specs and hopefully they'll come back with a recommended replacement. Next.. Goodyear.

I'm also finding out that these belts are indeed pretty expensive, but i'm still hoping for a cheaper alternative.

·
Registered
719 Posts
May be easier checking other bike belts. Simple neoprene timing belts will shred in a heart beat. Modern drive belts typically made from carbon fiber and more recently kevlar. There's still no reason for the belts to be so expensive except there's very little demand for them due to their long life. The bike scrap yards should have a few 900's in the inventory. These are tough belts. I'd buy one off a wrecked 900 if it wasn't damaged.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Bad news...

I checked with 3 or 4 manufacturers and about six distributors... nothing. The problem is the 153 teeth. I can find belts shorter (150 teeth) and longer (165 teeth) but neither world work for our bike.

I requested a quote for one from Scootworks and got this:

"We are not offering a replacement belt for the VN900 at this time. The only
belt I'm aware of is from Kawasaki for the VN900. We are working with our
belting supplier on this application, but I do not have a release date yet.
Thanks for your inquiry.

Sincerely,
Dave Hockaday
Scootworks, Inc."

I'm with Batis; head to the scrap yard and get one from them. :(

·
Registered
719 Posts
With stock pulleys it looks like I can only go 3 teeth longer and still have a little fudge room in the swing arm to adjust. I don't have plans to change pulleys but I'd like some more clearance for my Avon 200 without having to remove the 2" drop.

I wonder if Graingers or a tractor supply place has an assortment? Project for another day.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In another post here I got a reply that a guy was using the front OD pulley and the Pirelli 200. Thats gotta be damn tight. My info is that that tire is 26.2" mounted final diameter. I have about that much room from axle to frame so I don't get it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts