Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I just put the Cobra highway bar on my 900 LT, since doing so I've been terrified of scraping the bar before the floorboards in corners, as such, I'm cornering way less aggressively. Suspension is stock height, and I'm about 185 lbs. What typically scrapes first? If I scrape the bars first, lightly, am I going to instantly die in a fiery inferno, or is there hope to survive it? (yeah yeah, a bit morbid for 8:30 on Saturday, but hey)

Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey folks,

I just put the Cobra highway bar on my 900 LT, since doing so I've been terrified of scraping the bar before the floorboards in corners, as such, I'm cornering way less aggressively. Suspension is stock height, and I'm about 185 lbs. What typically scrapes first? If I scrape the bars first, lightly, am I going to instantly die in a fiery inferno, or is there hope to survive it? (yeah yeah, a bit morbid for 8:30 on Saturday, but hey)

Thanks!
First day I owned my 900 I scraped my floorboards twice...have not done so since.;)

·
Registered
782 Posts
From unfortunate past experience, I found that the boards scrape first. If you get her far enough over to hit the bars too, you have other issues to worry about. For one, you are probably to far over to recover. I will say that the bars do an amazing job of protecting you and the bike. I was actually dirt bike sliding mine for about 15 feet before I hit the truck. Yes I was on pavement, but the back tire was to the left a bit, the right side bars were scraping, and my front tire was turned left into the skid. Probably would have been just scraped up a bit if I hadn't hit the truck. All in all, I just had to replace some chrome on the bike and wait for the ligaments in my shoulder to heal. I actually sold the highway bars to a guy on here that powder coated them black for an SE I think. They were not bent and only scraped along 3-4in. or so.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Well if that isn't an endorsement to get the bars I don't know what is.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
dont be terrified....be happy to have them. I too have been down hard in a corner at 30 mph sliding on the left side. I ended up pinned under the bike with the bar bent backwards quite a bit. I had road rash to beat the band but that bar saved my left leg AND my bike....the bar and the windshield were the only thing damaged....

I also investigated this in my garage once...and laid a 4x8 sheet of plywood up against the tires and lifted it....sure enough the footboards hit first...

Annie

Hey folks,

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to hear that the boards will still hit first. I think I'll hit up an empty parking lot and scrape up the boards a few more times.

Thanks

·
Registered
976 Posts
Many times the floorboards, which come not attached, will be put on the wrong side, they are identical. The bank indicators on the bottom of them should be in the back not the front. In this position on a stock bike they should touch the pavement first and keep in contact with the pivoting floorboards. I've yet to touch the highway bar while moving and I've scraped plenty of the indicator off.

Now I was practicing parking lot manuevers last spring and got to slow while dragging in a right hand turn when the scraping stopped, because I had stopped, and then I slowly tipped over onto the highway bars and bags. It was a scene from Laugh-In. I rolled off the bike, the tip sensor killed the motor. I stood the bike up, after lauging a bit, and pushed it back into the stall. This is when I learned that if your bike tips over on the right side the oil indicator light will come on and not reset for a couple of miles though nothing is wrong with the bike. Tip it over to the left and no big deal but the light comes on when you fall to the right.

If you're bars are hitting first, something isn't right. Get a good eye on it and see what's going on.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Many times the floorboards, which come not attached, will be put on the wrong side, they are identical. The bank indicators on the bottom of them should be in the back not the front. In this position on a stock bike they should touch the pavement first and keep in contact with the pivoting floorboards. I've yet to touch the highway bar while moving and I've scraped plenty of the indicator off.

Now I was practicing parking lot manuevers last spring and got to slow while dragging in a right hand turn when the scraping stopped, because I had stopped, and then I slowly tipped over onto the highway bars and bags. It was a scene from Laugh-In. I rolled off the bike, the tip sensor killed the motor. I stood the bike up, after lauging a bit, and pushed it back into the stall. This is when I learned that if your bike tips over on the right side the oil indicator light will come on and not reset for a couple of miles though nothing is wrong with the bike. Tip it over to the left and no big deal but the light comes on when you fall to the right.

If you're bars are hitting first, something isn't right. Get a good eye on it and see what's going on.
I'll be, Clean. As soon as I read this I ran out and checked.....I have never scraped my "second 900",,,,,my first nine scraped all the time. Sure enough, the guard is on the front. No wonder I'm not scraping. Being on the wrong way, I'll hit everything but the guard first.....now i'm confused. Maybe I should leave them alone and presumably never scrape anything?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'd swap em out. They're supposed to let you know that any further and you risk lifting a wheel off the ground. Once that happens you is in for big hurt time.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I'd swap em out. They're supposed to let you know that any further and you risk lifting a wheel off the ground. Once that happens you is in for big hurt time.
Mine were on wrong, and I just moved the scraper thingies to the back, leaving the boards mounted. It just looked like the easier way to do it.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yes, there I go typing minimalist again. Swap the sensors not the boards. And while you have them off, drill and tap them for 1/4 x 20 titanium bolts and put a couple in there. Might as well make sparks when you go around the corner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts