Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious my bike runs really well at about 3400 rpm call it a sweet spot. But with speed limits and loss of points being what they are in Australia there are few places I can run in 5th gear at those revs. At 2800rpm in 5th my speed is about 100kph our speed limit on all but our freeways where it is 110 kph about 33-3400rpm

If I drop back to 4th I can get the speed right and the revs at about 3400 where the engine runs sweet.

I worry about the gear box and the stress on 4th gear etc if i travel for too long in tha ear t those revs.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
198 Posts
My bike has sweet spot for power at about 3300 or 3400 rpm like yours, but the gas mileage sweet spot seems to be around 2800-3000 (stock ECU). Lots of times on country roads or street traffic I run around 2600 rpm with a slight decrease in mileage. I'm not in 5th gear unless I am over about 52 mph.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Just curious my bike runs really well at about 3400 rpm call it a sweet spot. But with speed limits and loss of points being what they are in Australia there are few places I can run in 5th gear at those revs. At 2800rpm in 5th my speed is about 100kph our speed limit on all but our freeways where it is 110 kph about 33-3400rpm

If I drop back to 4th I can get the speed right and the revs at about 3400 where the engine runs sweet.

I worry about the gear box and the stress on 4th gear etc if i travel for too long in tha ear t those revs.

Any thoughts?

Just a quick reminder 5th and 6th are overdrive gears. I wouldn't worry about hurting 4th. Just think how long does anyone really stay in the lower gears. When was the last time you cruised in 2nd miles and miles? Understand what I mean? Kawai would hate to have to replace/rebuild transmissions all the time.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Kawasaki says you can be in 6th gear at 38 mph, or 60 k/ph.
It's a 1700 cc V-twin. It should be running just fine at much lower rpm's.
My 900 is perfectly happy at 2400 rpm's in top gear, and I will run it in that gear as low as 1900 rpm's. It's what it's made for.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Kawasaki says you can be in 6th gear at 38 mph, or 60 k/ph.
It's a 1700 cc V-twin. It should be running just fine at much lower rpm's.
My 900 is perfectly happy at 2400 rpm's in top gear, and I will run it in that gear as low as 1900 rpm's. It's what it's made for.
+1 (except 6th @ 38mph:eek:)

When accelerating I shift around 3k and I cruise between 22k & 28k.

Sure I use the rest of the tach when I'm feeling a bit sporty or in traffic and need a quicker responce time. But, mid 20s makes for a nice relaxing ride in the country. :)

Scott

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
+1 (except 6th @ 38mph:eek:)

When accelerating I shift around 3k and I cruise between 22k & 28k.

Sure I use the rest of the tach when I'm feeling a bit sporty or in traffic and need a quicker responce time. But, mid 20s makes for a nice relaxing ride in the country. :)

Scott
The only reason I would consider a larger bike and motor is to run at even lower rpm's than I run now. "Sweet spot" at 3400? If I had a 1700, I doubt I'd ever see that....

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
The only reason I would consider a larger bike and motor is to run at even lower rpm's than I run now. "Sweet spot" at 3400? If I had a 1700, I doubt I'd ever see that....
I've bounced it off the rev limiter a few times, but even just stretching the gears out to 4.5k will outrun most cars.

Doz,
I usually don't go into 6th below 70mph/115kph?, but 5th should be smooth & quiet at those revs.
When I went from my 900 to the VV it felt funny riding at those revs at first, but give a few miles and see if it gets more comfortable. :)

Scott

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I've bounced it off the rev limiter a few times, but even just stretching the gears out to 4.5k will outrun most cars.

Doz,
I usually don't go into 6th below 70mph/115kph?, but 5th should be smooth & quiet at those revs.
When I went from my 900 to the VV it felt funny riding at those revs at first, but give a few miles and see if it gets more comfortable. :)

Scott
I just don't see this. The manufacturer says you can shift from 5th to 6th at 38 mph, and then ride it back down to 28 mph before you have to shift back down to 5th. What do you guys know that Kawi doesn't?:confused:

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I just don't see this. The manufacturer says you can shift from 5th to 6th at 38 mph, and then ride it back down to 28 mph before you have to shift back down to 5th. What do you guys know that Kawi doesn't?:confused:
Hey Ron, you don't follow the MOM on every detail do you? :D

Below about 2k RPMs on the 1700, there is a lack of torque, the engine is slow to respond and you can get lurching.

Shifting under 2.5k can be very clunky and stiff. I find that shifting after 3k can be made very quiet, quick & smooth.

Maybe that 6 foot+, 150lb Japanese man these bikes were designed around enjoys power pulses but doesn't like vibration.:D

Scott

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I will start by saying I can add nothing useful to this thread, since my big twin is a different animal. But I'll weigh in anyway, since I have absolutely nothing better to do with my time :D

My Vic feels sluggish in every gear below 2500 rpm. I frequently cruise around in 2nd gear, since that gives me just about 2500 rpm at 25 mph. I'll usually carry it to 30 mph and frequently, since there's a 30 mph zone on my route to and from work. 80 mph in 6th gear is 3000 rpm on the money. I rarely run above 5th for speeds below 65, however. And I've frequently ridden 4th for many miles at a shot, especially in the mountains where the speed limits are often 45-55.

And I can say for certain if I tried to lug 28 mph on my bike in 6th gear, it'd die.

like I said, nothing useful from a Vulcan standpoint lol

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Hey Ron, you don't follow the MOM on every detail do you? :D

Below about 2k RPMs on the 1700, there is a lack of torque, the engine is slow to respond and you can get lurching.

Shifting under 2.5k can be very clunky and stiff. I find that shifting after 3k can be made very quiet, quick & smooth.

Maybe that 6 foot+, 150lb Japanese man these bikes were designed around enjoys power pulses but doesn't like vibration.:D

Scott
No, I don't follow the manual on every detail, but I try not to stray too far. If they allow a certain speed which you can be in a certain gear, I don't just arbitrarily double that speed! They recommend 10w-40, but if it's hot, they allow 20w-50, and that's what I like. They say 28 psi front and rear, and I will add a couple more to that, but not 12 or 15 more!
I like V-Twins for their low rpm grunt, and wish I had a 1700 or larger engine. Kawi tells me I can be in top gear on my 900 at 31, and I'm almost always there by 40. I will slow in traffic to as low as 30 without downshifting, as long as I can easily accelerate back up to speed.
The thing about 5th and 6th being overdrive is really a non-issue, like advertising hype. They are just ratios in the gearbox, and unlike cars, you will never get the transmission's output shaft to turn slower than the engine speed.
I like to buy vehicles based on their design capabilities, and I expect them to be able to perform as advertised. If I paid big bucks for a V-twin to perform at low rpm, and then decided that it's better for the bike if I wait until 70 mph to be in top gear, then I'm not going to be very happy at all. Why would a bike that was found unable to perform as designed and advertised be acceptable to you as the owner?

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I will start by saying I can add nothing useful to this thread, since my big twin is a different animal. But I'll weigh in anyway, since I have absolutely nothing better to do with my time :D

My Vic feels sluggish in every gear below 2500 rpm. I frequently cruise around in 2nd gear, since that gives me just about 2500 rpm at 25 mph. I'll usually carry it to 30 mph and frequently, since there's a 30 mph zone on my route to and from work. 80 mph in 6th gear is 3000 rpm on the money. I rarely run above 5th for speeds below 65, however. And I've frequently ridden 4th for many miles at a shot, especially in the mountains where the speed limits are often 45-55.

And I can say for certain if I tried to lug 28 mph on my bike in 6th gear, it'd die.

like I said, nothing useful from a Vulcan standpoint lol
Your Victory has recommend shift points that seem higher that what Kawasaki allows for their 1700s. Almost like losing some of the benefits of the big V-twin. However, you are right on the money for operating within their guidelines.
Probably not the bike for me though, if I have to be over 60 before I could use top gear.

Glad to see you're still around, Luci

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Operation
Shifting Gears

Recommended Shift Points
Upshifting (Accelerating) Downshifting (Decelerating)
Gear Change Recommended Speed Gear Change Recommended Speed
1 to 2 18 MPH (29 km/h) O/D to 5 50 MPH (80 km/h)
2 to 3 30 MPH (48 km/h) 5 to 4 35 MPH (56 km/h)
3 to 4 40 MPH (64 km/h) 4 to 3 25 MPH (40 km/h)
4 to 5 50 MPH (80 km/h) 3 to 2 15 MPH (24 km/h)
5 to O/D 60 MPH (96 km/h) 2 to 1 10 MPH (16 km/h)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My bike has sweet spot for power at about 3300 or 3400 rpm like yours, but the gas mileage sweet spot seems to be around 2800-3000 (stock ECU). Lots of times on country roads or street traffic I run around 2600 rpm with a slight decrease in mileage. I'm not in 5th gear unless I am over about 52 mph.
Sounds about right I guess I am just worried that sitting in 4th gear for any length of time at 3400 might not be the best for the engine

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
:DWell, those wizards of smart designed the rev limiter to kick in at 6,000RPM so I guess it would be fine to run the bike at 5,900RPM too.:)

I just got back from a great 2 hr ride. Washed the bike this morning; nice 73 degree partly cloudy day trying to find some nice backroads I haven't been on before.

I thought about this topic and tried to run lower RPMs on a few occasions. Second gear in town at 1.8k makes me nervous to be around other cars because acceleration is slow.
Third and fourth at 1.8k on some of the country roads chugs along but doesn't feel like its loading the suspension in curves. It definitely makes that 'chug-chug-chug' sound and feel that's associated with V-twins.
I don't think it would be too bad running that low of RPMs in low traffic on a straightaway. But, if there are other cars around or I'm making adjustments to speed to go into or out of a curve I would rather have the finer speed control associated with higher RPMs.

I couldn't find the MOM shift points for your 800 but you CAN shift into 5th at 31 mph on your 900 which will result in about 1800 RPMs.
The 2nd stage of the break-in schedule allows for a maximum mph of 80 which will result in about 4600 RPMs arbitrarily more than doubling their own recommendations!:)
It's kinda funny that the MOM shows you can shift into 5th at 31 but the FIRST stage of the break-in period allows you to ride in 2nd at 30 mph. I guess third and fourth are VERY short.:D

If you ever take a stock 900 out for a leisurely 60mph highway trip you will be running your engine at about 3500RPMs.

I think these things are designed to handle a wide variety of riding styles.:)

Scott

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Your Victory has recommend shift points that seem higher that what Kawasaki allows for their 1700s. Almost like losing some of the benefits of the big V-twin. However, you are right on the money for operating within their guidelines.
Probably not the bike for me though, if I have to be over 60 before I could use top gear.

Glad to see you're still around, Luci
You don't really notice rolling in 5th on the Vic other than a bit more gear lash since it's direct 1:1. And that motor's kinda funny by V-twin standards. Makes the best torque between 2800 and 4000 rpm. Seems most motors come in a bit earlier.

I generally judge with the seat of my pants tho, and that's not exactly empirical.

And you bet I'm still around. Takes more than a little cancer and a wrecked immune system to put me down. Soon's I don't have to wear a mask when I go out and about I'm totally renting a bike for a day. I'm gettin all itchy from no riding. :D

·
Registered
580 Posts

Any thoughts?
A buddy and I went on a 10.000 km trip, him on a Vulcan 900 and me on my 1700 Voyager. He was consistently running about 900 rpm higher than me on the hwy all day. You can safely run in the higher rpm ranges and it hurts nothing. I usually run my 1700 in 5th gear close to 3000 rpm unless I'm out on a long stretch. Let your ears and body tell you when it's time to shift. Just ride it and enjoy.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well for me the best mileage in 5th or 6th gear is always around 2200rpm to 2500rpm.If I start pushing above the torque peak rpm of 2700, mileage starts dropping off quickly.
I also find roll ons at 2500 rpm are just fine with very little or no V-twin shudder.I only cruise at 2700 rpm or higher in 6th gear.Why would you want to stay in 5th at 3000rpm is beyond me.Much smoother to shift into 6th at that point,save on fuel and wear and tear.YES it has better pull at 3000 or higher but then again so does 4th at 4000rpm.
V-twins are meant to cruise at lower rpms.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I couldn't find the MOM shift points for your 800 but you CAN shift into 5th at 31 mph on your 900 which will result in about 1800 RPMs.
The 2nd stage of the break-in schedule allows for a maximum mph of 80 which will result in about 4600 RPMs arbitrarily more than doubling their own recommendations!:)
It's kinda funny that the MOM shows you can shift into 5th at 31 but the FIRST stage of the break-in period allows you to ride in 2nd at 30 mph. I guess third and fourth are VERY short.:D

If you ever take a stock 900 out for a leisurely 60mph highway trip you will be running your engine at about 3500RPMs.

I think these things are designed to handle a wide variety of riding styles.:)

Scott
I don't normally shift into 5th at 31 as a part of normal acceleration, as this is really close to lugging, but usually wait until about 35-40. I don't mind letting it roll back to 31, and will gently accelerate up from there. If I have to accelerate any harder, then I will downshift. I know the 900 gets a little buzzy at higher speeds, but it's the lower speed cruising I'm after.
I think the break-in schedule shows the maximum speed in each gear they want through that period, where the normal operating schedule shows the lower shift points for maximum economy.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
And you bet I'm still around. Takes more than a little cancer and a wrecked immune system to put me down. Soon's I don't have to wear a mask when I go out and about I'm totally renting a bike for a day. I'm gettin all itchy from no riding. :D
Luci, I didn't mean it that way at all! I guess I was unaware of all you were going through. I just meant that I am glad to still see you here on the forum even though you no longer had a Vulcan. Glad to hear you're beating the cancer and that you'll be fine again soon! God bless, and take care!:)

·
Registered
492 Posts

Any thoughts?
Since 100 kph converts to 62 mph, and 110 kph converts to 68 mph, I'll give you my opinion. Now, mind you I don't even have a tach on my Nomad and I'm using seat of my pants technology here.

So here goes, I'd go into 5th for either speed if there was very little probability of needing to accelerate in a hurry. So for me, that means highway or roads with very little traffic. If there's a bunch of traffic, I'd stay in 4th just for the acceleration ability.

I'd go more by the seat of my pants than by any numbers on a gauge. Remember your speedometer is gonna be saying you are going faster than you really are! Try sticking something over your tach and riding around a while. Forget the tach exists. You'll know if you are in the right gear!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts