Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 07 Vulcan Classic 2000 LT with 6200 miles. Anyone know what pipes these are? Has number R401H9 stamped on the rear mount tab. Could not find info on a google search or some of the known vendors. Any one know why they are blue by the head? Had a stock air filter. Was blue then. Just installed a K&N 200 miles ago. Still reading the forum to get some knowledge about this bike. Thanks in advance for pointers!

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
I agree, you are too lean. And now that you have changed the air filter, it may be even worse. You are going to need a fuel controller. Cobra Fi2000r is the simple solution. Power Commander requires a lap top and knowledge of fuel maps and fuel injection tuning or have a competent shop set it up. A good set of double wall pipes won't turn blue, there are many to chose from.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
The blue is from running extremely hot. Could be a sign of running lean.
that Bluing and that amount of bluing is on the outer heat shields?..

in order to do that much discolor to the outer sheild, those pipes would have to be SO HOT as the radiation would make it unbearable to sit let alone ride.

your bike is not running too lean or hot.. that is what they call 'Cheap Krome'. very cheap krome.

·
Registered
578 Posts
It's not on the heat shield, Ponch. Those are single wall pipes with one small shield on the rear pipe at the first bend.

And I do agree they are cheap pipes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you look real close, there is only one heat shield and its on the rear pipe just above the last turn to the rear straight length. The bluing is on the the pipe itself. Trying to find out whose pipes these are so I can learn how they are constructed. Then go from there.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This would also explain why you could not google any info on them. They have been out of business for a number of years now.

The ones that my friend bought are also single wall pipes in the same fashion as yours. They have a real wicked howl to them at higher RPM.

You might be able to add some restrictors or additional baffles to add back pressure. This will tone down the decibels a little and help it to not run quite so lean. Also adding a little torque down low. As if that would be an issue on your scoot anyway, right. lol.;)

·
Registered
223 Posts
I bought mine from mean cycles they are cheap but I didn't want to spend a lot of $$$ yet. Turns out they aren't coated enough. I bought that stuff to bring back the chrome took a while to get all the blue out but it turned blue again. I now have them wrapped. Most likely they will crack. I'm planning on buying a good set of pipes soon.
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1407257985.753979.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Even good pipes are likely to blue to some degree on these lean burn bikes, I think, unless you really fatten up the mixture with a tuner box.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Its completely normal for single wall chrome pipe to go blue, yellow and a whole rainbow of colours. That was the norm when all pipes were single wall chrome. Nothing to do with running lean.
That's why they make all new pipes in double wall/heat shield type thing, so your pipes always look shiny new with no bluing, its what people want. And also gives good burn protection as well for your legs etc.

·
Registered
65 Posts
pipes

I have the same set of pipes on my bike. these were made by britt motorsports. Back in the day they put together some custom v2k packages.

got mine off of e-bay. $150 bucks. Fit well. Sound great! and yes they are thin with cheap chrome. my rear cylinder is blue as well.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I got mine for around $65 shipped and painted them black

*edit* mine are on a 900

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Britt Signiture Series

Thanks to all who replied. Yes they are "Britt Signature Series" Hot Rod Drag Pipes. Could get heat shields as an option, available in chrome and ceramic black. And they are a great sounding pipe. They are no longer available at least in chrome. The blueing has been "erased" but of course is coming back. the rear heat shield has been install properly at the top and we are trying to find a shield for the front. The stock air cleaner has been reinstalled till all is resolved, then maybe K&N goes back on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts