Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Vulcan 900 Custom and I need to change the oil. I don't have a manual and I'm wondering what oil weight I should use. Also, anyone know how many quarts of oil this bike takes when also changing the filter?

The original owner used Amsoil in it so I'm planning on continuing with that. They offer three weights 30, 40 and 50.....

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Service manual says 3.4 quarts (3.9 qts if completely dry). May want to go a little less until you start it and circulate through the filter, then re-check. The 900 has a tendancy to pass a bit of oil through the crankcase breather into the air filter area if its over filled.

If you want to run Amsoil a regular poster (Bob) on here in the Oil forum will direct ship to you at a good price. I'm running 40 weight in Tennessee but some think 50 weight is better for very hot climates or to quiet the moving parts a little.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I live in one of those very hot climates (does 110 qualify), and I have not had any problems to speak of with 10W/40, but then I do, some who are knowledgeable than myself, believe that the 20W/50 might be a bit thick for this engine, but that also is hard to prove, it is water cooled and not as prone to overheat as air cooled engines in these conditions.

As far as brand, dino or syn, you choose, I have my preference, as do others and I am not here to convert or preach to the choir or start any thread war's.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
242 Posts
As TNCarters posted, go to the Amsoil section of this forum and talk to Bob. He will hook you up with the correct oil and filter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the manual depends on temperture you can ue 10w40 10w50 20w50 i am going to use a high quality 20 w 50 it runs hard on highway.
I have a 2007 Vulcan 900 Custom and I need to change the oil. I don't have a manual and I'm wondering what oil weight I should use. Also, anyone know how many quarts of oil this bike takes when also changing the filter?

The original owner used Amsoil in it so I'm planning on continuing with that. They offer three weights 30, 40 and 50.....

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm currently running "Kawasaki" 10-40 oil. I've been told it's bottled by Motul.

It's the dino juice, but I'm currently falling for the "don't break it in on synthetic" myth. I think car companies use the "mobil 1 factory fill" to reduce confusion though.

My theory is that the synthetic is too slippery and won't let the rings set in as quickly as would traditional oils.

With the 650R I had, I noticed smoother transmission action and the engine ran a little smoother with Amsoil. It's good stuff.

As for filters, Amsoil filters are MADE by Wix, but ARE NOT Wix filters. Amsoil uses a better filter media. I'm running a Hastings filter (I crossed it with the 'long' Purolators) as I like Hastings/Baldwin. You can get them at some parts stores or industrial supply houses like Granger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts