Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really shopping, but some of the features I’d be looking for in my next bike would be:
  • bigger engine, and/or a three or four cylinder
  • 6 speed transmission
  • ABS
  • tach

Features I’d be reluctant to give up include:
  • belt drive
  • big gas tank
  • liquid cooled
  • forward controls

I think only one of the following have everything:
The Harley Softail Slim checks all the boxes, and has keyless start, but
(a) it’s a fortune and (b) it’s a Harley.

First choice is probably the Honda Rebel 1100.

The Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster is a very very nice bike, and probably my second choice, but has a smaller tank and chain drive.

The Indian Scout or Chief bikes are really nice.

But I’d also go in different direction - sport tourer.
LOVE the Triumph Tiger 900 GT Low.
Or the Ninja 1000SX with saddlebags (Insurance skyrockets because “Ninja”).

·
Registered
43 Posts
My dealer also sells honda he had a 1100 rebel demo so I took it for a ride, I got on the road and a horrible cramp in my leg almost made me turn back. The only thing I liked about it was it was a rocketship on 2 wheels .

·
Registered
257 Posts
I especially like the latest Indian Chiefs. Haven't ridden one yet, but the reviews sound really nice.
we have an indian dealer up the road from me, i keep meaning to go in there, but haven't yet. when they first came back 20 years ago, i thought they were over priced, and over hyped. they were nice looking bikes though. then they went away and now they're back. i don't know if they're different this time. before i bought one, i'd like to feel like they were going to be around a while. i haven't forgotten the excelsior henderson, or victory for that matter. it must suck to be stuck with a bike where the manufacturer doesn't exist anymore

·
Registered
749 Posts
How about a vulcan 1700 ? Every thing on your list and still a Kawasaki baby. ;)

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
we have an indian dealer up the road from me, i keep meaning to go in there, but haven't yet. when they first came back 20 years ago, i thought they were over priced, and over hyped. they were nice looking bikes though. then they went away and now they're back. i don't know if they're different this time. before i bought one, i'd like to feel like they were going to be around a while. i haven't forgotten the excelsior henderson, or victory for that matter. it must suck to be stuck with a bike where the manufacturer doesn't exist anymore
Well, Indian isn't exactly back. Polaris bought the rights to use the name. They're related to the old Indians the same way today's German built Minis are related to the old British Mini-Coopers: In Name Only.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Well, for the money, look around, you can find a Vaq. that hasn't sold at a dealer in several years, and get a big discount on a new bike with all the pluses you wanted. Or buy a low mileage trade in somewhat and save a boatload full of cash....
Believe after you've ridden a Ivanized Vaq. you'll throw rocks at the others....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts