Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, bought an 07 in late fall, and I'm short. 5'. I find the stock seat quite wide for me at 16". Is there a narrower seat that will fit? thank you for the replies. P.s. I'm in Canada, so ordering will depend on where it's located.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The Saddleman Profiler seems to fit what you want, but many complain about it. From what I've read, you have to go thru a fairly significant break in period to start getting real comfort from the seat. It does look good on your bike though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for replying, I was researching yesterday, and the mustang daytripper was the only one I seen that was narrower, only 10 1/2 inches wide, but will have to find one to sit on and try out first.

·
Registered
16 Posts
thank you for replying, I was researching yesterday, and the mustang daytripper was the only one I seen that was narrower, only 10 1/2 inches wide, but will have to find one to sit on and try out first.
It's to bad you're in Canada or I could somewhat shave down your stock seat. I've done upholstery for years and it depends on the seat pan how much it can be narrowed but you could check out an upholstery shop in your area to see what they might be able to do for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, bought an 07 in late fall, and I'm short. 5'. I find the stock seat quite wide for me at 16". Is there a narrower seat that will fit? thank you for the replies. P.s. I'm in Canada, so ordering will depend on where it's located.
I received my 07 the day before my stepfather passed in 2015, as I am the only kid who rides. It is the single greatest gift I've ever received, and an honor. That being said, he was a much bigger man than I am a woman, and I feel your pain, being only 5'1". Get ready for A LOT of "You can ride that thing?!," gawking, and other stupidity. Put a lady friend on the back and OMG you'd think people have never seen two women before! In 4 years, I haven't found a comfortable seat, and I've got 3. The stock one, the Saddleman's mentioned above, and a mustang (not sure on brand). They alll seem to have the seat back too far back, in addition to being too wide and hard, like sitting on a rock after 100 miles. Although I can reach the forward controls, the ride would be more comfortable if the seat kept me closer or the controls were moved back. Reaching the highway pegs is a pipe dream😖. I've come to the conclusion I'm just going to have to bite the bullet, take my seat pan to the local upholsterer, and have a custom seat made with memory foam or gel padding.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I received my 07 the day before my stepfather passed in 2015, as I am the only kid who rides. It is the single greatest gift I've ever received, and an honor. That being said, he was a much bigger man than I am a woman, and I feel your pain, being only 5'1". Get ready for A LOT of "You can ride that thing?!," gawking, and other stupidity. Put a lady friend on the back and OMG you'd think people have never seen two women before! In 4 years, I haven't found a comfortable seat, and I've got 3. The stock one, the Saddleman's mentioned above, and a mustang (not sure on brand). They alll seem to have the seat back too far back, in addition to being too wide and hard, like sitting on a rock after 100 miles. Although I can reach the forward controls, the ride would be more comfortable if the seat kept me closer or the controls were moved back. Reaching the highway pegs is a pipe dream😖. I've come to the conclusion I'm just going to have to bite the bullet, take my seat pan to the local upholsterer, and have a custom seat made with memory foam or gel padding.
If your feet positioning is fine what would help is a set of handlebar risers. They will pull your handlebars back to make it a shorter reach on your arms. Here is a link you can try.
https://chucksterscustoms.com/product/kawasaki-handlebar-risers/
These guys will also custom make them if needed so I would call and tell them the issue you are having and see what they can do to help.
Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I second the risers. That one change made a world of difference for me. I used a 4 inch rise, and 1 inch pull back riser for myself, and it completely changed my riding stance. My back could not be straight, and my arms at a comfortable angle. You may not want a 4 inch rise, but the pull back may help.

On the seat front, if you want a second seat pan to try to custom build a seat, I will send you one for the cost of shipping. It is expensive to ship, because it is large and heavy, but I won't charge you for the seat at all. Let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you for all the answers, but the last couple missed the point, short woman, need narrower seat to be comfortable touching the ground. I can reach the handle bars no problem, ride no problem, just wish for narrower seat so I don't feel like I've been riding a horse. Really appreciate the lady rider who understood answering here. ty all

·
Registered
2 Posts
I second the risers. That one change made a world of difference for me. I used a 4 inch rise, and 1 inch pull back riser for myself, and it completely changed my riding stance. My back could not be straight, and my arms at a comfortable angle. You may not want a 4 inch rise, but the pull back may help.

On the seat front, if you want a second seat pan to try to custom build a seat, I will send you one for the cost of shipping. It is expensive to ship, because it is large and heavy, but I won't charge you for the seat at all. Let me know if you are interested.
I have an extra seat pan thank you, as I would just tear down one of the seats that don't work in favor of building a custom seat. And I reach the handlebars no problem. The problem is that when I accelerate, I am pushed back and have to scootch forward to reach the forward controls more comfortably. The skootching is also necessary so that the seat is at its narrowest point when I put my legs down, otherwise it feels like I'm riding a Clydesdale. 😉

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would think a custom seat builder would be able to push the seat forward for you, and narrower. You might have to shop around for an upholsterer that fits your needs, but it can't be out side of the realm of possibility. I hope you are able to find someone to help you with that!

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's to bad you're in Canada or I could somewhat shave down your stock seat. I've done upholstery for years and it depends on the seat pan how much it can be narrowed but you could check out an upholstery shop in your area to see what they might be able to do for you.
Also you could look into a GOOD auto body shop, they could shave the sides of the seat pan if needed and that could also help narrow the seat profile.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was looking for a new seat but being from Canada also after shipping and exchange the price was too high for a seat that I might not like. I took my seat to an upholstery shop and one of the first things the guy mentioned to me was that the seat looked a little wide. He reshaped the seat for comfort as well as narrowing it a bit. I'm a guy but found the bit of narrowing he did helped a bit. While the seat isn't perfect it is way more comfortable than stock. And for $250CDN it was worth a shot.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If I may be so bold as to suggest... I've had my bike since '16. It came used and modified. Changing from the stock custom seat was one of my best decisions. I ended up with Corbin dual tour and it came with a back rest. With 16" bars, the backrest helped me stretch less. My problem was that every time I rode two up, (I'm about 5'6" & 150 and the wife is 5'1" and maybe 120) we'd bottom out on hard bumps or lean and scrape because of the lowering link in the suspension. 2 inches is a lot. Well, I eventually decided to try one slot up and my ride improved dramatically in the suspension department, but the wide ass seat and these short legs are kinda what and what at a stop. I spend more time going than stopping and I'll usually only drop one foot if I can help it.

My suggestion is this. Try a back rest if you can find one and maybe even modify it to move you forward. Also, consider lowering the bike FRONT AND REAR (suspension geometry is a thing) . Maybe that will help if you can't change the seat enough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts