Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have a 2010 900 custom se just got it about a month ago. i am planing on doing all of the basic mods that most of yo guys do i already have cobra sweeps on it. but i want an intake kit, lowering kit, H I D headlight, LED turn signals. stuff like that. i was wondering if these types of mods void the warranty. i love the idea of having a warranty so i would love to buy the extended one next year. but only if will even work with the mods i have planed. what do you guys think of the extended warranty is it worth it. what mods do you guys have and what problems have you have with getting stuff covered under warranty because of the mods. and it there any know problems with the 900 that would need the warranty for?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Those mods would only void your warranty if they cause damage to the bike. For example, if you install an air intake and pipes, don't tune the fuel mixture properly, and burn a valve or piston due to too lean of a mixture, then the damage would not be covered. On the other hand, installing lights etc, and your clutch goes out...definitely not a reason for voiding the warranty on the clutch. Just make sure that you get a fuel tuner when you put on the pipes and air intake.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
my dealership will warranty any part they install, and keep the factory warranty. I have three years, so that is important to me. The dealer told me that only associated warranty will be voided, READ: intake and exhaust can void engine warranty but a new headlight can't. Ape hangers with cables can void clutch/throttle warranty but a seat can't.

Personally, I just have the dealer do the installs. I can do them myself, but I like my warranty.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks you guys I think Im going to look on eBay for a the warranty they say you can get a good deal there. Is there any known problems for the Vulcan 900 that would make me want to get the warranty I plan on keeping this bike forever. I'll get a different bike later but I'll always keep this one.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Donnie, I feel the same way about my 900 ciassic. I would talk to your dealer about specific modifications. If you do your own oil changes keep all your recipes as long as the bike is under warranty, just like your car.

·
Registered
742 Posts
CJ hit it on the head... before i got my bike i was doing little things here and there to my monte carlo. put a CAI on it and a throttle body spacer... hi flow cat as well... i had an ABS sensor fail twice and the dealership tried to blame it on my installing the CAI... um HOW??? i played with the air intake, not the wheels?!?! they finally covered everything under my warranty...

so if you do the mods yourself... take care in doing them because anything you have to alter or remove may affect it and depending on the dealer they could really push the issue. g/l

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have experience on both sides of the M-M Act. I worked for a dealership, and witnessed them telling customers that certain mods had caused problem in other areas (How does an aftermarket exhaust cause your electrical system to short out?). I also owned a car audio shop, and had clients who would want a ridiculous amount of work done, then complain when they didn't take certain recommended precautions and their electrical systems didn't perform as they expected. That small piece of information that I posted above, along with a nice dose of common sense, will take you far in the customization side of owning a bike. A New exhaust won't have any impact on your turn signals, but if you redo the lights with LEDS, and make any errors, they can not cover the electrical. Please check with your local dealership, and see where they stand, and what protections they offer.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have had my 09 900SE since new,got the extended warrenty,rode it home the day i bought it,had a set of pipes and fi2000 waiting from ups,put em on,and the following week,installed a big air kit and removed the secondaries from the throttlebody.kept all the stock parts,(just in case)did the 600mile oil change myself,other than a loose peg and frame bolt,and steering head nut loose,I have 5,200 miles on and never had any kinda trouble other than mentioned but that stuff should be checked from time to time,I think i could have saved some money buy not buying the extended,(i guess it was for that what if)but that has yet to happen.I think if something was going to give, it would have done it by now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts