Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, first time motorcycle owner here. I recently purchased a 1999 Vulcan EN500 with 22,000 miles on it.
It is my only mode of transportation at the moment, so I'm trying to learn motorcycle maintenance real quick.

Im about to perform my first chain lube and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it. I assume getting a stand is better than trying to move the bike around to rotate the wheels and I'm not sure what the best kind to get is.

The Haynes service manual I bought says to use a centerstand, but would it be easier to just buy a rear stand or a roller?
Also do I need to buy a chock for the front tire to keep the bike from tipping over?

Theube I'm going to use is some Liquid Wrench Chain & Cable lube from Harbor Freight. It's an aersol can that says is good for motorcycles and can be used on o-rings.

I screwed up my last car by not doing enough routine maintenance, and I'm not trying to repeat that mistake with my bike. It's real tempting to just go and ride everyday, but I know I'ma burn out this bike if I don't do daily checks.
I'm a total noob to motorcycle maintenance so any additional tips or info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Welcome. There are a lot of 500 riders in here so you'll be spending a lot of time in the 500 section of the forum.

Ask whatever questions you want and someone can answer them. I can't directly tell you about specific 500 maintenance as I have a 750 and it has a center stand. Actually, I thought the 500 had one, too.

Some of the 500 guys will let you know the best way they've figured out how to do it.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome. There are a lot of 500 riders in here so you'll be spending a lot of time in the 500 section of the forum.

Ask whatever questions you want and someone can answer them. I can't directly tell you about specific 500 maintenance as I have a 750 and it has a center stand. Actually, I thought the 500 had one, too.

Some of the 500 guys will let you know the best way they've figured out how to do it.

Where are you located?
I'm in Portland OR

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Not too incredibly far away from me. Myself and a couple of other riders will be cruising around a bit north of you this Sunday (not sure of our exact route).

You're close enough that we can do some riding in the future. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Harbor Freight has their motorcycle jacks on special quite often, then get a 20% off coupon on line. I just bought one for $67.00, and it works great for polishing wheels ect.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have a 500. A lift or the wood block wont work since the frame is basically on top/blocked by the exhaust.

For the rear you have to get a frame lift "like" this -
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Venom-Motorcycle-Sport-Bike-Rear-Wheel-Swingarm-Paddle-Lift-Stand-Adjustable/221905767370?epid=1663545601&hash=item33aa9d4bca:g:dAEAAOSwbP1aY1DD&vxp=mtr

And then the same lift can be used for the front if you swap out the paddles for this -
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Front-Fork-Paddock-Lift-Stand-Attachment-Stand-Sold-Separately/231812722513?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I just bought the front pieces for my lift.
I WOULD love it if this bike had a center stand, and a gas gauge, and a gear indicator. But that would make sense!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Omg, and a tachometer while you're at it. I've just set the engine idle by ear, and I'm hoping I'm close to spec.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is what i did for a rear stand that worked pretty stable. It does require a strong ceiling joist though. Used my 2 jack stands and a strong metal spike about 3 1/2' I bought at Home Depot. It was next to the rebar which would also probably work as well. Jacked the bike up using a come a long and once it got high enough placed the spike through the frame and placed each end on the jack stands and lowered it. It was amazingly stable and was what I used to replace the front sprocket and chain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts