Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What kind of saddlebags do you have?(anyone with Beetle Bags?)

I am looking around for some saddlebags for my '09 Custom. I was curious what some of you guys had and liked. Would love to see some pictures too!

I was talking to a dealer and he mentioned Mike Corbin's "Beetle Bags." I have looked them up and really like them, but don't know how they would do on a Custom instead of a Classic. Or how they would do on a '09 since that year model isn't listed on the website. If anyone does have them what is your overall impression? Will they work with passenger floorboards?(cobra swept) I have a sissybar so as far as spacing for mounting I think that I am fine.

Here is the link to them...

http://www.corbin.com/kawasaki/kv900bag.shtml

Am not sure if I really want hard bags or not, but I think that these look great and don't "slow the look" of the bike as my wife says...

Thanks for the help!!!

Targett :cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What types of bags do any of you have on your 900's? I am still looking and just wanted to hear from users rather than pick one and be dissatisfied.

Targett

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I've got Saddlemen jumbo teardrops on my Classic. They're alright. If I was going to do it over I'd get hard bags, but that's on a Classic. I don't know how they'd look on a Custom. Right off hand, I'd say leather might look better on a Custom.

Those Beetle Bags look really nice, but those prices:eek:!!! I've got a Corbin seat and I will attest to their quality and customer service (both top notch). But that's a lot for bags.

Whatever you get, I'd highly recommend some sort of quick release set up.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've got Saddlemen jumbo teardrops on my Classic. They're alright. If I was going to do it over I'd get hard bags, but that's on a Classic. I don't know how they'd look on a Custom. Right off hand, I'd say leather might look better on a Custom.

Those Beetle Bags look really nice, but those prices:eek:!!! I've got a Corbin seat and I will attest to their quality and customer service (both top notch). But that's a lot for bags.

Whatever you get, I'd highly recommend some sort of quick release set up.
Bill,
Should you ever decide to go with the hard bags, I might be interested in your Jumbos. I have the same bags in the Large size and wish I had gone with the Jumbos...

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Finally heard from my stealership that my Saddlemen hard mount bags are in for my '09 Classic. Will pick them up today or tomorrow, mount them and then post pics. I was told that these bags were specifically made for the VN 900s. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Bill,
Should you ever decide to go with the hard bags, I might be interested in your Jumbos. I have the same bags in the Large size and wish I had gone with the Jumbos...
Will do, but I will probably keep these til the sun disintegrates them.

BTW, I had a problem with them sagging to the point where they were rubbing the frame (5 lb per bag limit, my ass! I was a little abusive), so I got 2 plastic cutting boards 1/4" thick and cut them to fit the back of the bags. Then I bolted them on along with the little hook thing that goes over the support. Now I can put almost anything in 'em! We've done our grocery shopping, milk jugs & all and not had a problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have seen those beetles on a 1600 classic in laconia. man they look real nice and mold to the bike sweet. Price is nuts but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am running bags from leather up on Easy Brackets. I like the fact I can take them on and off in seconds with the brackets. I am not much of a saddlebag type but when I go to work or a ride with the wife they are nice to have.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I am looking around for some saddlebags for my '09 Custom. I was curious what some of you guys had and liked. Would love to see some pictures too!

I was talking to a dealer and he mentioned Mike Corbin's "Beetle Bags." I have looked them up and really like them, but don't know how they would do on a Custom instead of a Classic. Or how they would do on a '09 since that year model isn't listed on the website. If anyone does have them what is your overall impression? Will they work with passenger floorboards?(cobra swept) I have a sissybar so as far as spacing for mounting I think that I am fine.

Here is the link to them...

http://www.corbin.com/kawasaki/kv900bag.shtml

Am not sure if I really want hard bags or not, but I think that these look great and don't "slow the look" of the bike as my wife says...

Thanks for the help!!!

Targett :cool:
Try masuka.com, I ordered the mu bags, have seen them on a custom, they look great and are priced well

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey I like the mutazu bags. Now that makes me think that I really want hard bags after all. Any other brands out there you guys recommend?

Thanks for all your help!

Targett

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I bought the hard trunk from Mutazu and found it to be lacking in quality. The lid has to be exactly square to the latch to get it to close and would be really easy to pry open, so the lock is pretty much for show. I guess you get what you pay for, as it is cheap in comparison to others, and it is evident once you get the product installed..... I'll be upgrading to Leatherlyke sometime in the future as funds become available......

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
well....I think the beetle bags look terrific personally....but I decided not to afford them. :)

I had national cycle bags on my old scoot.... but they were flimsy and low quality also......so I went with Tsukayu bags this time and really love them. Solid fiberglass and very well made...etc..etc.

here is a thread with pics...
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9231

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the JM bags from matazu sitting on a shelf in my garage. had them on for a few weeks and took them off. what a waste of money. Poor quality and the brackets are lousy. Went back to soft bags with easy brackets

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok so far I have looked at these bags. These are my scale 10 ratings based on what I will have to do to the bags, looks, and quality. If you have other bags I should add to this list then please let me know. I am open for anything, just want to have working bags that look great!! If you have positive stories that would overturn some negatives I would like to hear those too!!

I really like the rounded bags better than the squared off ones. This is just preference though.

Also from what I can find (Color Rite) my paint code is 17L with Base paint 1175 and Primary color 3175. Any one else out there with the Candy Burnt Orange tried to match these colors? Is Color Rite pretty close with this one? (I know they aren't all close matches) Thoughts?

Oh, If you happen to know if one or more of these wont work with passenger floorboards I would like to know. I have Cobra Swept Passenger Floorboards now and would really like to keep them.

Bags...

Corbin's:

Beetle Bags - 10/10 (if they would work for the 900 Custom)

Mutazu: (I will have to paint any Mutazu bag)

MU Bags - 7.5/10 (I have heard quality mishap stories)
JM Bags - 5/10 (Seem to have to be mounted further away from the fender)
RS Bags - 7.5/10
LN Bags - 4/10 (just haven't seen then on a Vulcan)
GA Bags - 4/10 (Vulcan pics?)
HL Bags - 6/10
FY Bags - 4/10 (really small, but ok if small were what I wanted)

Tsukayu: (can match the color with them at purchase)

Strong Hard Bags - 7.5/10 (look pretty good)
Jumbo Strong Bags - 5/10 (Too big for me)

Champion: ( can match the color with them at purchase)

Liberty Hard Bags - 7/10 (can't find a Vulcan picture)
Patriot Sport Hard Bags - 6/10 (Vulcan picture)
Patriot Hard Bags - 5/10 (may be too big for me)

National Cycle - (Built in Quick Release! Will it mount with sissy bar?)

Cruiseliner Saddlebags - 6.5/10 (seem very slim looking, are they too skinny?)

I think that I have listed every bag I have considered so far. If there are others I will edit my post.

Thanks for all the help and input!!

Targett

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am running bags from leather up on Easy Brackets. I like the fact I can take them on and off in seconds with the brackets. I am not much of a saddlebag type but when I go to work or a ride with the wife they are nice to have.
Hey Thom,

Do you have a picture with your bags off? I was just trying to see what the brackets look like when they are not holding the bags.

Thanks,

Targett

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey Thom,

Do you have a picture with your bags off? I was just trying to see what the brackets look like when they are not holding the bags.

Thanks,

Targett
I can get one. the brackets stay attached to the bags so all you are left with are two chrome mounting spacers that the brackets go on. I like the concept.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here is what you are left with witn no brackets

As you can see all you are left with are these two studs. this guy had to put spacers on his by the look of it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts