Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first tankful of fuel on my VN800A netted me 109 miles until reserve.
I went to the station to fill up and put in 3 gallons exactly, which nearly topped it off.
Calculated mpg is...36.3mpg.
That seems pretty low to me.

The bike seems to be running fine and is not blowing smoke or bogging or anything weird like that, so is there something I should be looking into to get the mpgs up?
I've got the tires at 32psi front and 36 psi rear, fyi.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I can get 36 or 48 on mine depends on how I drive. If i take it easy and don't wind it up taking off i can easily get close to 50 cruising on the interstate at 70..75. I have changed my sprockets to 18 / 40

·
Registered
70 Posts
on my stock sprockets I would get 38-43. now with the new sprocket set up it is 48-51

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Was getting between 52-55mpg when fully stock. After debaffling the pipes, grampsizing the intake and jetting, I'm now averaging 38.8 for the last 8 fillups that I started keeping track of. These include have the carb off a couple times playing with the jets and replacing the petcock. Not much fuel loss doing this but it adds up quickly. My best was 45.7 and this with mostly commuting to and from work, a 13 mile trip each way. I also have the 18/40 sprockets.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got Cobra pipes...they were on there when I bought it...but I'm not sure what sprockets I have. I'm assuming stock.
I'll check out the intake/filter, too.
I would be happy if I could get around 45mpg, but anything over 40 would be acceptable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Stock '05 VN800B had 5,112 miles on it when I got it but had sat up for a few months prior with fuel in it. After replacing fuel lines & cleaning carb several times, adjusted fuel/air mixture 2 1/2 out and doing the EPA mod, it was getting upper 20s to mid 30s. I then began to tweak the fuel/air mixture little by little until I'm now averaging upper 30s to mid-40s depending on how/where I ride.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, it seems like I'm in the ballpark for what's normal and my driving habits may be the biggest factor in getting the best mpg...no surprise there.

Thanks for the replies and I'll update on the next fill-up, which should be over the weekend at some point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm getting 50 to 54mpg.I just went to 17t and 38t sprockets,from the stock 17t and 42t sprockets. That change- up the mileage 2.5 mpg. I have put Dynojet carb kit in it.That really helped the driveability.I removed the rear baffles and installed a k&n air filter.I also removed the top part of the air cleaner and replaced it with a 1 1/4 " pcv elbow so it will suck the cooler air from the front of the bike.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just filled up today and recorded 41.1mpg and I'm happy with that considering that I didn't baby the throttle too much. Just getting better at shifting and spending more time in 5th gear seems to be helping. I'm sure I could squeeze a few more mpg out of it w/ more conservative throttle habits, so I'm no longer concerned that there's anything wrong with the bike...just the rider. :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Got to keep the throttle cables from sticking :) :)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I used heater hose between the jugs and stuffed a nut & bolt in the middle

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I have 42T/40 sprockets and I think the 40T rear gave me an increase in mpg on the highway to 45.9
but I lost a bit of low end torque with the 40

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm running commander IIs at 40psi front and rear, fuel mixture 2-3/4 turns, EPA mod, On 90% highway riding getting 51mpg, 90% NYC riding getting 32mpg, averaging 41.4 mpg according to Fuelly, this is from input collected over 2 the past two years

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
40psi? I got 28 front/ 35 rear, the sticker on the chain guard says to put them at 28/28, is your 40s for solo? I am solo, should I be at 40/40?

·
Registered
54 Posts
40psi? I got 28 front/ 35 rear, the sticker on the chain guard says to put them at 28/28, is your 40s for solo? I am solo, should I be at 40/40?
I was running 28/28 with stock tires, from what I read a lot of people running commander 2s are running the tires at higher psi. The 40 is for solo, and I weigh 180lbs. I am running a 18/42 sprocket setup. I like them at this pressure, but we will see how long the tires last. I found at 34 psi on the front made the bike seem unstable.
I would try different pressures and find the pressure you like. Of course at 40 there is less dampening from the imperfections of the road. On the tires board, I posted ~3700mi at 40psi on MC2s and I have 4/32 tread life. When its time to replace I may try different psi to see if it makes any difference in feel and tread life.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts