Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a brand new 10 classic and im getting ready to take a 400 mile trip to myrtle beach next week my gas gauge gets around the walk mark at about 125 miles but ive pushed it to around 135 i have vh slash cuts with the stock baffles in a vh fuel pak that is tuned correctly and a kn high flow but ive herd of problems with the gas gauge and also have heard of people getting alot better gas milage than me and pointers or advice im goin to do the 400 miles straight through and its mostly interstate

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I've averaged 44mpg since I got my bike. That's with a fairing and completely stock drivetrain and tires. I put Cobra exhaust on 400-500 miles ago but that hasn't changed my mileage.

I ignore the gas gauge and typically ride no more than 180 miles on one tank. That leaves about a gallon still in there. I've gone to 190 on a few tanks but that was around town and I knew I could get to a gas station. Most of my riding is solo, 65-70mph highway and some city riding. Never done long range interstate cruising so I'm not much help there.

Edit: I also run 36/40 front/rear tire pressure and add Sta-bil occasionally.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i have a front fairing too , thats what i was thinking about 180 or so to a tank i also have stock tires and drive train im thinking of getting a 200 rear tire to drop the rpms down a lil bit when im cruising at 70-75 thing just sounds like it wants to explode at those speed. i guess i just have one of those flawed gas gauges

·
Registered
950 Posts
I get around 40 mpg on a good day. Usually more like 38. To get the most miles for my money I have to cruise around 60 mph. Unfortunately, I usually ride around 70 mph. Mileage goes down quickly. I have read of people getting 50 plus. I honestly would have to see that happen personally. There is no official test data to support such claims. All of the road tests I have read result in mileage in the low 40s. Kawi site claims up to 45 highway for the new bikes. So, if you are getting around 40 mpg...be happy. If you get more, then be really happy.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The gas guage is not accurate. There is a thread on the "fix". But, I haven't read it.

The speedo is also off. Many maintain it to be about 10%.

Touring around the mountains of NH last week, I figured 40 mpg, as indicated on the stock set up that I have. I get better than that. But, makes me comfortable going into the fuel light, if need be.

However, in application, someone always needs to pee, or stop for some reason or another every two hours. You can make that distance no problem.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I bought a 2010 Classic earlier in the year and have just over 2000miles on it now - I've kept track of each fillup on an app on my phone. So far, 12 fillups averaging 40.3mpg. I did get 47.6mpg for one tank on a day I was in a course. Most of the day was highway / secondary road driving between 50-63mph. I have a windshield and lowers and stock exhaust/air/tires.

Cheers,
Kerry

·
Registered
292 Posts
I average about 46-48. We prefer to ride in the 60 to 65 mph range; running a tank at 80+ with mountain passes yielded 41 mpg two-up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm usually pushing my bike hard, (09 custom with full windshield and semi-rigid bags), and I get around 40mpg, 43+ if I take it a little easier on the throttle.

·
Registered
782 Posts
When she was new & stock with Memphis Slim 17" windshield... 50-52mpg.

Now that I have added Cobra Dragster Exhaust, homemade dog bowl air cleaner and Dobeck fuel processor... 46-47mpg.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
'08 debaffled Custom with a shield and 200 rear, I get anywhere from 43-48 depending on wrist activity. Cruising over 70 also tends to drop the mileage a bit.

One thing to remember, although the fuel guage is inaccurate, the low fuel light (on mine at least) seems to be spot on, coming on when there's ~1 gallon left. That usually happens around 180 miles on the trip meter for me.

·
Registered
711 Posts
With all of the mods I've done I get about 33-35 mpg. Before all mods I was able to get about 43-45 mpg. But do keep in mind most of my riding is 70mph+

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Since the addition of saddlebags, sissy bar and luggage rack, and crash bar I average around 45-47. All that's two-up, and the bags are usually packed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Own a 2009 900 Classic Lt. with 5000 miles now. Stock exhaust, bug/wind shield, and have a Breakaway cruise control. Burn 89 or 91 octane fuel only, no regular unleaded(87). Went to "Awesome Biker Nights" in Sioux City, Iowa in June from West Central WI. I am over 6'2" tall and 240 lbs. Traveled with Bags full, & full leathers on. Averaged 75 miles per hour on the trip down and back and averaged 43 mpg. Regular riding around home areas 55-60 mph average 48-49 mpg. More stops and how you excel from them makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Im right around the same on my Custom. Actually maybe a little higher. Im around 45 city. I have gotten as good as 58 taking back roads around 45-50 mph for an hour and a half straight. Ill pull in to fill her up right at around the 200 mark. But we have a huge tank at 5.3 Gals.

I did notice if I step it up to around 80MPH on the highway for extended time the MPG's take a pretty big dive. But thats to be expected im sure.

·
Registered
96 Posts
'07 custom, stock, shield, bags...commute ~35 miles one way averaging indicated 65-75 mph for 75% of commute, indicated 35-45 mph for 25%. Consistently get ~165 miles to E on gauge, consistently get 210-220 miles when light glows. Reset trip meter computes to 50-53 mpg consistently using the cheapest <10% ethanol regular I can find. Bike approaching 39k miles.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Any where from 39 to 56. Mostly 43-46. It mostly depends on how you drive. Right now 46 is my average commute,I take it easy on the way in(back roads). It will go down some when I put the shield back on in the fall. I got 53 last week when it was to cold (with mesh jacket) to go over 60 on the interstate @ 3 in the morning.

Ride like the wind

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Mine always seems to stay at the 50-53 MPG range. Lots of slow speed, in town driving and back roads.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts