Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what kind of air intakes you all have ?

(brands, pro's & con's, installs , mpg and combination with stock or aftermarket pipes , good places to buy - they have to ship international !!!! ....)

I'm thinking about getting a ARLEN NESS air kit for my VN900 - looks similar to the air cover mod I've done

http://www.meancycles.com/Home.asp?PartID=214060&AccCategoryID=2353&AccCategoryTypeID=0&BikeModelID=5764&ManufacturerID=0&BikeType=Cruiser&CompanyID=0

any input is much appreciated

Cheers from downunder

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
How does rain affect that air filter?

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
It doesn't suck up water in the rain?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Nope. It's an oiled fabric and it repels water. They sell rainshields and I have one on my BAK but it's more pre-filter keeping large chunks of grass and such out of the tiny folds of filter. I have however been caught in a torrential downpour without it on and had no problems whatsoever with water injection. If you rode it through a lake you'd have problems, but I don't think the pre-filter would help a lick in those conditions.

As I mentioned, and back on topic, I have a BAK, the solid chrome/no pattern version. It holds stickers really well.

Queue bogus, self promotional art picture!

All of the high flow filters, BAK, Tornado, Ness, whatever perform the same on the 900. It doesn't really flow enough through the manifold to be able to need all the air that any of these filters will flow to it, so pick the one you like the look of OR can afford OR both, and be happy with it. If th ecost is a bit more than you can gather at one time, do what I do and get a paypal account, then put some money in there every chance you get. I drop 10 or 20 each paycheck if I'm not wanting anything. Before you know it you'll have an online bank supply full of money you can drop on a bike related object and as it's usually a donation of less then lunch in some places, it's pretty guilt free.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
How do you like the BAK? I was thinking about picking up the black one with the 'tribal' design on it. Did you notice power gains? I'm looking for butt-dyno gains.

·
Registered
245 Posts
i just got a hypercharger for my bike and love the look of it. ran it on the dyno before/after and gained 6 hp. of course the before run was with V&H SCS, Dobeck Techlusion and stock intake and the after run was with Cobra Power Pro HP 2-1, Standard Hypercharger, and a PCIII that was setup for a completely stock bike. I'll go out and take some pics right quick and post it up.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Just swapping intake without swapping exhaust will get you next to nothing. Opening up the stock exhaust but leaving the front of the muffler, you will gain a little, I can feel it when I take it off and put it all back on. Put on an aftermarket exhaust like the the Cobra 2n1 and a fuel manager and you'll get 10% or more. It won't have the punch of a bigger bike but it will have more.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Just swapping intake without swapping exhaust will get you next to nothing. Opening up the stock exhaust but leaving the front of the muffler, you will gain a little, I can feel it when I take it off and put it all back on. Put on an aftermarket exhaust like the the Cobra 2n1 and a fuel manager and you'll get 10% or more. It won't have the punch of a bigger bike but it will have more.
I'm looking at an exhaust, power commander III and an intake. Trying to decide what intake to get... I really like the looks of that one.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I've seen it on a 900 online somewhere. If that's what does it for you I'd go with it. Any of the higher flow intakes will open you up more then the 900 can suck, it's still got a little throat. But ANY of the aftermarket intakes flow easier then the stock intake but only because they don't flow the air through the engine, into a couple of 90 degrees bends in a snorkle then a 180 to got through the air filter first.

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have the Arlen Ness Big Sucker (with a set of Cobra Speedster Shorts and the FI2000R). If you are on a budget you can't go wrong with the Big Sucker. If you have a load of money to spend, by all means, get one of the more expensive ones. On the other hand, I have not been disappointed by the Arlen Ness and give it my recommendation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts