Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
In my family (and extended family) I am the cook, so usually i spend most of mine in the kitchen. Then after than it is time to watch some football and nap while everyone else cleans up.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Well usually we go down to my wifes parents in the morning, then my grandmothers house in the evening. This year it's all out of whack though. With a couple family members relocated for jobs, and my younger brother stationed several states away; we're doing thanksgiving the day before at my grandmothers house, fairly late- then my wifes parents the morning after. Then we're headed down to the lake until Saturday to enjoy a couple days off! Believe it or not, I usually go out early morning on Black Friday because I like to people watch and I love to watch the crazies. I also love to watch how clueless people are. Wal-Mart had some 42" TV's for like $150 a couple years ago so I grabbed one. Saw lines wrapped around aisles extending all the way to the back of the store, people saying they had already spent hours in line. Including a little old lady with all of her groceries in her cart, LOL. So I strolled back to the electronics counter and a bored looking kid checked me out. No line. Got my receipt and headed on out the door. LOL.

Rarely ever actually 'shop' on black friday. Many of the deals really aren't as good as you'd think. Often it's one-off chinese crap, or stuff you can get for that price online any day you want. But I love watching people and it's so fun to see how nuts people get over a $10 savings on an XBox. Also, most of it is still there days later. Last year, when my little brother moved off base into his own apartment, my wife and I went 2 or 3 days after black friday and saw they still had pallet after pallet of GE appliances they had for uber cheap on black friday. We got him a toaster, blender, microwave, coffee maker, waffle iron, etc., all really cheap.

-John

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Black Friday shopping is for the birds. I agree with ya there Romans. Nothing but a sales gimmick. There are some good deals out there, but I think it is all a way for stores to get you to buy things you had no interest in buying in the first place.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Black Friday shopping is for the birds. I agree with ya there Romans. Nothing but a sales gimmick. There are some good deals out there, but I think it is all a way for stores to get you to buy things you had no interest in buying in the first place.
Yep, that's exactly it. A loss leader, combined with insanely long lines, means you aren't likely to shop around for your Christmas gifts; you'll get it all there. It's called BLACK Friday because it puts retailers back 'in the black', they make tremendous amounts of money.

The electronics are the biggest gimmick (sometimes). Like when Wal-Mart had the Nintendo Wii for $99, instead of the regular $149. Well, it was a one-off blue one built just for Wal-Mart, for black friday, and was cheaper to produce (used a few different components and lacked a couple of features). So it wasn't a $150 wii on sale for $100, it was a $100 wii. And it sold like hotcakes. Even this TV we bought, though it's been great, it's a one-off. Name brand, but it was produced specifically for black friday in one huge batch. Though it was still a good deal for us, because it does what we need. From the research I did it's virtually the same TV, no changes, it was just made cheap because they built so many of them in one fell swoop. However it is technically a different model number than the 'non black friday' model.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Fox Business had an interesting article on 13 things NOT to buy on Black Friday.

FOX ARTICLE
Saw that! The DSLR's are a big thing. My wife is into that (and I am too a little bit I guess). I see so many people gobbling those up on black friday for $10 or $20 off, when, come Jan/Feb/March when the new models come out, the models you bought on black Friday will be $100 off!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Saw that! The DSLR's are a big thing. My wife is into that (and I am too a little bit I guess). I see so many people gobbling those up on black friday for $10 or $20 off, when, come Jan/Feb/March when the new models come out, the models you bought on black Friday will be $100 off!
I done the same thing last year. Our walmart has a separate case across from the cameras on display that the "old" ones are in. Come January it get STUFFED.

One of the things my wife and I do is buy all of our wrapping paper, name tags, and such the day after Christmas. Go home and throw it in the attic, it will be there next year when we need it.

I think Black Friday sales are like Harbor Freight stores. They have inflated MSRP prices and show 50%+ discounts on tools that are slightly cheaper than the name brand version and are not usually as good quality. With them you have to actually watch the sales and not just buy because it is "on Sale"

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I done the same thing last year. Our walmart has a separate case across from the cameras on display that the "old" ones are in. Come January it get STUFFED.

One of the things my wife and I do is buy all of our wrapping paper, name tags, and such the day after Christmas. Go home and throw it in the attic, it will be there next year when we need it.

I think Black Friday sales are like Harbor Freight stores. They have inflated MSRP prices and show 50%+ discounts on tools that are slightly cheaper than the name brand version and are not usually as good quality. With them you have to actually watch the sales and not just buy because it is "on Sale"
Absolutely. That's marketing 101, give something away. Free shipping, 10% off, something. Don't actually reduce your profit margin, inflate the price or whatever, but it'll sell better on sale!

Like furniture or jewelry. Has anyone in history ever actually bought either of those items 'at full price'? It's ALWAYS on sale. And it's easy too because of the price disparity. A handmade luxury watch with rubies used as spacers and a solid gold body could run you $150,000, or a casio $10. So it's easy for a cheap watch to be marketed as "$79.99, on sale for $19.99! Wow! What a deal!"/

·
Registered
415 Posts
I usually carve up a turkey t.v. dinner box and throw it in the microwave, then watch a college basketball game, will probably wax the niner as well....have a happy..!!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
For me it is a week long event. This past Sunday had family turkey day with one side of the family. Thursday will be turkey day for the other side, these alternate sort of year to year, then watch rivalry college football games with family and friends Friday and Saturday. Doesn't get much better than that.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Dinner with family, my brothers and dad. This years my dads 85th birthday is on Thanksgiving day, so will be quite a day. Cooking dinner at home and taking to him. We all pitchin on the food so its not too bad on any one person. After dinner, its usually tv and nap time. I do my best to avoid stores at all cost on black friday.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Eat to much and for the last 40 years or so watch the Cowboys play. It used to be fun especially in the 90s. With the Boys playing so bad the last decade its not so much fun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts