Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering when you decide to call it quits in terms of being to cold for riding. For me I think it is around 35 to 40 degrees due to hands freezing up.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
So far mine's been 28. I think I could go lower (for shorter rides, like to work), but so far every time it's gotten colder than that there's been snow on the ground, and I haven't been able to find whitewall snow tires in my size.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
if it ever gets below 50f,, we pretty much shut down this state.. no need in risking hypothermia just cuz a Canadian Norther is here today gone tomorrow. our version of a sno day.. we call it a NO ima not working today day.
I'v paid enuff years dues riding near/sub freezing bs. there aint no braggin rights being stoopid, when a perfectly good truk is sitting there waiting its turn. it sits mos all year, cuz we ride all 13 months. yeah, 12+the 1 we ride outa state. ponchout

·
Registered
79 Posts
I ride all year round, but it doesn't get near as bad out here in Ohio as it did in upstate NY. We moved out here 3 years ago and I've been the oddball ever since! :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
Snow and sleet is about the only weather that tends to hamper my riding. -15 on my old Triumph is the coldest trip so far. It's no different then going 75mph across the flats on a snowmobile in the dead of winter, if you're enjoying the ride, you don't notice the frostbite!! :cool:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
For a good cause (toy runs, BACA things, etc.) I've ridden in temps as low as 25. Other than that, I tend to watch for that 38 degree mark (yes, very arbitrary!). I always take the day's high into consideration as well, so I might push a colder morning for a nice afternoon ride home.

·
Registered
76 Posts
For me it's 35 degrees (cold hands). There is no upper limit (even THIS summer in Texas).

Any lower and I drive my four year old Mustang that only has 10,000 miles on it. (LOL).

·
Registered
658 Posts
35 to 40 is it for me... that means I'm riding from late March to late October or early November.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
my four year old Mustang that only has 10,000 miles on it. (LOL).
its nacho cheeze, 4yrs/10k!.. you treat it like it was a hardley? probly keep in a g'rage ta boot?.. am same, have a bran spankin new truk 1yr now and only drove it 8k. 2many bikes needed their oil circulated to be runnin the truk, less temps ever drop below 50f. maybe january?

·
Registered
782 Posts
80s - T-shirt & jeans with half finger gloves - half helmet
70s - Long sleeve T-shirt & half finger gloves - half helmet
60s - Leather Jacket & mid weight gloves - half helmet
50s - Leather Jacket with sweatshirt, leather chaps & heavy gloves - half helmet with balclava
40s - Leather Jacket with long sleeve T-shirt & sweatshirt, snow pants & heavy gloves - full helmet with balaclava
30s - Leather Jacket with long sleeve T-shirt & sweatshirt, snow pants & heated gloves - full helmet with balaclava
20s - I usually ride the cage because I worry about icy patches from mud puddles or such.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Minus 15 celcius ... not because i wanted to, because i had to. I moved.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If I had a beater bike with a sidecar I'd ride all year round, there's a couple guys in Milwaukee that do. But when the first salt goes down is when I quit riding.

·
Registered
487 Posts
32F. I don't like the risk of ice patches, the salt is really thick by then also.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
In Mississippi, I was riding last winter down to 19 degrees. If it didn't rain, I rode all winter. I only missed out on about 9 days.
ol miss, missing 9 days, huh? is that when you came out of that freeze induced comma?

·
Registered
112 Posts
No winter here, just a hot wet season and a cooler dry season. In the city it hasn't got below 4 C (about 39 F) this year. Out west of Brisbane it does get below freezing pretty regularly in Jul/Aug and I've been caught out a couple if times on early morning weekend rides when it just keeps getting colder the further you head out if town.

I used to ride around freezing in Ireland if it wasn't icy and I swear by my three-fingered gloves for colder rides.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Coldest ride so far--17 degrees. Was going to a bike shop to look around,so when I get there,salesman says "Can I help you ?" I said " Sure show me the WARMEST GLOVES you got !!":)

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
gr,, imagine all the gloves are about the same, room temp. just ribbin ya is all. when have ridden some xcountry in severe cold weather, my ski jacket, pants and gloves do a great job of knocking down the big stuff. still havta layer up unerneath.
riding in sub cold temps is only a havta thing, no longer a thrill.. am too old for this kinda sheet. let them young pups freeze their noogies. probly slow em down nuff to live longer.. or not?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts