Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate winter, but I have a secondary hobby that helps get me through. I love computers. I have 11 of them between 2 laptops and the rest desktops. I fix and upgrade them etc. etc. Plus, I spend a lot of time on the internet on my favorite forums etc. I also love photography, which can be an all round all year hobby.

I also work at a Motorcycle shop, so just being around bikes everyday and getting to sit on them or polish them and selling parts and accessories helps me keep excited and in the swing of it all year round!:D:D:D Once in a while I go into my shed/garage where my bikes are stored and sit on them or just look at them... LOL

·
Registered
538 Posts
We don't REALLY have bad winters here in California, but there are times that the bike (and my old a$$), is best served by staying inside. When those times are here I fall into my inside hobby of model trains. I have ????...I don't really know how many I have. But I can tell you that I have every scale from G down to N. For those of you that aren't into trains, a G scale is 1:22.5 meaning that for every inch of model train there would be 22 1/2 inches of real train. The N scale is 1:160. You get the idea. There is a smaller scale called Z, but my eyes aren't good enough for that tiny sucker. It's about the same size as a big man's thumb............and yes; it has an electric motor to drive it. I have heard rumor of an even smaller scale but I have yet to see one.

These trains come out during the Christmas season and you can't walk through our house without almost stepping on one of them. The cats love it too. I have to put and electric fence around the smaller ones or they tend to disappear. (JK)

And believe it or don't, but this hobby is just as expensive as the motorcycle!!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cats love it too. I have to put and electric fence around the smaller ones or they tend to disappear. (JK)

And believe it or don't, but this hobby is just as expensive as the motorcycle!![/QUOTE]

LOL. that's funny about the Cats. I can just picture it. :D

You bet ya, hobbies can be expensive. I have all my computers and that runs into a little bit of money too.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
My hobby is dreaming about spring when "Redemption" and I can escape to the horizon once again... LOL! To pass the time, though, I usually fall into a cycle (pun intended) of catching up on my favorite TV series (SOA, BSG, Heroes, etc.) via the internet, and getting in more reading time, as I'm an avid fan of Sci-Fi fantasy. Between that, a wife, and my 2 kids, that fills up the winter months.

Once the overnight lows start settling out at 40 or higher, though... all hobbies are replaced by "Redemption". HA!

I do tend to put in a lot of gym time through the winter months as well, as I'm VERY active in Scottish Heavy Athletics, and my season for competitions starts the 3rd week of March. Gotta get that gut into shape so I can throw heavy things farther. ;)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Computers, My ps3 and first person shooting games, books. if my leg was not broke I would also go to our indoor driving range (golf)

·
Registered
253 Posts
I will usually watch TV (basketball, football, and a lot of Discovery Channel). I also just bought a PS3 right after Christmas, so that takes up a lot of down time. And, I've just recently started reading books at night to help me fall asleep, so that is going to be a new year round hobby, I suppose.

I'm in the same general area as Sketso, so once we get rid of these overnight low temps, the bike will come back out and meet the road again.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I love playing the ol fender telecaster as much as possible and I usually run 2 or 3 times a week average 3 to 5 miles each time.Plus my wife and I just had another baby girl 7 months ago so there is alwasys something to do...

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm gettin older and more lazy so I find myself watching more TV then I should be, (Big screen and a couple of chihuahuas in the lap doesn't help me get off the couch either). :D The cold air has given my sinuses hell the last couple of years so winter kinda pushes me indoors. Recouping from sinus surgery last week so I'm hoping I've taken care of that problem. I like to read and do Genealogy, among others.

·
Registered
113 Posts
PS3.. never thought of that as a hobby but it does kill the time, playing Bad Company right now on the xbox

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
skiing and reading forum posts
I bought a new set of skis one year, had them about 3 weeks and took them back. I couldn't find a lake with a hill in it.
Surfing the net and watching tv. In November I'll have to add hiding from the wife and her " Honey Do List " :D
Wife and I have a room set up as computer room, there we too sit and surf the web and dream up places to go in the Spring and Summer.
I also am an amateur radio operator(ham), so I can always find someone foreign country to talk to if I want, or some electronic do-dad to build.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
I bought a new set of skis one year, had them about 3 weeks and took them back. I couldn't find a lake with a hill in it.

Wife and I have a room set up as computer room, there we too sit and surf the web and dream up places to go in the Spring and Summer.
I also am an amateur radio operator(ham), so I can always find someone foreign country to talk to if I want, or some electronic do-dad to build.
Hey Bob, do you still have to have a tall antenna for ham radios? Also heard it is costly to get into?

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Hey Bob, do you still have to have a tall antenna for ham radios? Also heard it is costly to get into?
The antenna height is totally dependent on what frequency you are operating. My wife and I both have 2meter/70cm radios on our 800s, if you look closely you can see the 18" tall antenna mounted on the right side of the sissy bar.(In the picture it looks like a black line) Second pic is my wifes bike, she wanted a shiney one so I used Stainless Steel for hers.
Those are dual band antennas meaning we can (legally) talk on thousands of frequency from 144mhz to 148Mhz, and 440Mhz to 444mhz. There are also some FRS allotted frequencies around 462/467 that we can operate on, but we are sort of on the edge of legality when we do. Those are the freqs that you find on the little frs and gmrs radios you can buy for $40.00 a pair at walmart.
I have our radios patched into the helmet via wired headset like you find on Gold Wings and such, but if I wanted to drop the extra coin I could easily have gone blue tooth and packed my cell phone into the mix too. Our present radios on the bikes sell for around $300.00 each, and are waterproof to a depth of 3 feet for 30 minutes. If that happens then I don't care if it works or not.
I have a base unit that went for near $1k new, as well as mobiles that a person can buy everyday cheaper than a cb radio.
The license is much easier to obtain now, no Morse code is required for a tech license or a general class.

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
hobbs

Well, not to rub it in, but here in California there are a lot of days great for riding in the winter, so my riding habit continues - on snowy or rainy days, though, I enjoy reading, writing, surfing the internet, and love spending extra time with my cockatoos and parrot.

I also have a Jeep Wrangler and enjoy off-road adventures, and some winter conditions can make for a great challenge that's hard to resist...

Still, I do look forward to the greater warmth of spring and summer.

Enjoy:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I do play bluegrass music on the guitar and mandolin. I really enjoy that and it give me something to do during the bad weather of winter. I also enjoy reading and do that a lot during the winter. But the truth be known sometimes I just go out to the garage and look at my two bikes, a Vulcan 1700 LT and a BMW R1200RT and wish for the spring weather. I think I'll go out and have a look now.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts