Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So as with most VN1700 owners (Classic - on up to Vaquero) you probably have some peeling going on where the word "Kawasaki" along with black circle around the word on the outer cover.

The cover is thin aluminum, thin like a beverage can. So how is it on? Sticky tape. Take a small flathead and pry gently then use a bigger flathead to help pry some more and it will come off. Then there is 3 bolts which hold the plastic piece that the aluminum sticks to. Unbolt the plastic and presto! You are hiding alot of chrome. There is 3 threaded holes that do not go all the way through the clutch case cover, so no worry about anything leaking out or getting in. If you find the right derby cover and holes line up , it would look much better then the plastic and cheap, thin aluminum that says Kawasaki on it.

http://youtu.be/WMkZovYUdlo

So after polishing the chrome that was deprived of being shown due to cheap ,ugly looking plastic covering it I decided to unbolt the 4 bolts that hold the other black plastic which I think is most likely a boot guard, though my boot never touches it when I'm riding. So after taking that off behold, more nice looking chrome being hidden. So I ordered the billet piece that replaces that plastic and is specifically made for the clutch case.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0096BPHSE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

For those interested who have black engines, they make them in black as well. Just look for the "B" after the part number for ones who want black.
Anyway, even without the plastic guard off, there is a indentation where the billet piece will go in. It is all chromed nicely and still visually appealing after you clean out the dust and polish it up. Though I opted for the billet piece that is made to bolt into the area, giving it a smoother look.

Until you hunt down the right derby cover for where the outer cover was and plastic shroud under that (which is held in via 3 bolts) you can find yourself a nice cheap chrome decal sticker and cover up the holes that way. Stay within 4" size with the chrome decal sticker and it should look like a derby cover without the bolt heads around. Nice, clean, easy mod. I ordered a 4" skull so it will look better then the bigger one I had put over my outer cover couple years ago, when the clear coat started coming off.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HPBC5V4/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Also if you know a place that does custom work, you can have a custom piece made. Getting rid of the plastic imo off the clutch case cover makes it look so much more nicer. All that nice thick chrome that you don't see covered by cheap looking black plastic.

You could also if you want to keep the plastic but hate the Kawasaki decal, strip it off. I think all it was is a decal that had light coat of clear coat over it (reason why it peels off on everyone). Also there is a thin protective layer on clutch case cover behind where the plastic piece is bolted on. Mine had a bubble in it, so I inspected it thinking the worse but only turns out that Kawasaki put some clear film over it so that they could get the double sided tape to stick to it. You can either take that film off or leave it on if you plan on putting a chrome decal sticker over it or find a derby cover that lines up with the hole pattern. You also might want to invest in some nicer bolts, as the ones used for both plastic pieces are all just regular, dull looking hardware.

·
Registered
41 Posts
For some reason the Youtube link goes to my personal dashboard page, I hope you can correct it soon as I'm very interested in seeing your video.

Jim

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For some reason the Youtube link goes to my personal dashboard page, I hope you can correct it soon as I'm very interested in seeing your video.

Jim
Work now? I used a different link this time. I think problem was YT was taking an unusual long time last night processing video.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for fixing the link, Kaz, and thanks for the tip about the cover.

p.s. isn't it fun trying to pick up something one handed off a cement floor? Try doing it with a piece of paper, you'll really go nuts.

Jim

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for fixing the link, Kaz, and thanks for the tip about the cover.

p.s. isn't it fun trying to pick up something one handed off a cement floor? Try doing it with a piece of paper, you'll really go nuts.

Jim
LOL. Yea either had option of setting camera down or use the aluminum cover. I keep my nails short, so trying to pick stuff up can be a PITA when it is on a flat, hard surface.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It's working now. This is good to know as my aluminum covers look like crap.
That aluminum cover could also be buffed out and shined up nice from what I read about one person doing. I personally would rather like to see some derby put in place of it. Don't know why Kawasaki didn't think of getting into making derby covers. They could have had a nice aftermarket accessory.

I found a site online last night that sells derby covers, and appears to look like right size and bolt pattern however doesn't mention fit for any brand bike, just universal fit. But without physically holding one up and comparing it to see if it lines up, there is no way of telling if bolt pattern will be precise.

Once that billet chrome insert comes and skull sticker , I'll post a follow up picture on an inexpensive way of changing the crank case look.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Follow up video to finished clutch case mod (please allow time for video to work it is still under edit/process)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vpANjuaa24

End results when removing both plastic pieces and polishing the chrome and adding the chrome billet piece that is made for the VN1700's. If you have a black engine and want that part, look for a "B" after part number so you can get a black one for your black engine.

Looks much nicer now. When I come across a derby cover that I like and fits or have one custom made in future, I'll post follow up pics.

·
Registered
320 Posts
So I just did this to My Voyager and I agree,looks much better.I just put the three screws back in for now and polished it up.
But the one that bothers me is on the other side where the shifter is showing its a six speed.All worn from my boots rubbing it.Has anyone removed it to see whats behind it?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I just did this to My Voyager and I agree,looks much better.I just put the three screws back in for now and polished it up.
But the one that bothers me is on the other side where the shifter is showing its a six speed.All worn from my boots rubbing it.Has anyone removed it to see whats behind it?
Is your foot touching the 6 speed cover? Mine is perfect looking, foot never comes into contact with it. Curious if that might be causing it with you?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts