Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
The inner splash needed some serious cutting, sorry for got about the splash shield but it's very easy to trim. I went with the Avon Venom and it's a tall tire. I also lowered the rear 2".

·
Registered
719 Posts
Tire is very close to the guard but no touching after 5k miles. I think the Metzler 880 tire has a tad more clearance than the Avon. I marked the axle location on the swing arm before removing the rear wheel and put everything back together using the marks.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Baitis you wouldn't have had the rubbing problem with the inner splash shield, if you hadn't lower the bike? or would you, or are they not dependent upon each other?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Jace, probably not. I figured as long as I had replace the tire I might as well do the lowering at the same time. The Avon has a larger circumference than some of the other 200 series tires but it probably wouldn't have hit the splash shield. I cut the shield across the top two mounting bolts and it still rubs when hitting pot holes with the shock on #5, (I'm 165#). Haven't tried riding two-up yet but I think it could be ugly. Next time the tire comes off I'll trim some more. Trimming the shield is simple. The only thing I had to do after trimming was stuff a small piece of foam between the fender and frame to keep water from splashing the tool kit. Not as bad as it sounds. You also can't see the trimmed splash shield because the tire fills the fender. A longer belt would be great and I should probably remember that when I replace the tire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts