Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a little more performance out of my custom and have a partial debaffle (4 holes drilled) and am thinking of getting an air kit. I don't think the debaffle did anything for the performance but i'm told an air kit will. My concerns are
1) most that i have seen are open so won't rain water get in and once the filter gets wet and prevent the flow of air. basically stalling the bike?
2)do I have to get a power commander or remap/rejet the bike? I hear yes and no on this. I hear efi bikes do not need remapping and i'm told they do. i don't know what to believe

thx

·
Registered
950 Posts
Best air kit-get the one you think looks cool. They all do the same thing.

Rain shouldn't be an issue, they come with rain covers.

No fuel processor needed as long as you have the stock pipes.

If you want it to run great, I'd get a Cobra PowerPro processor or PC5 with Auto-Tune. Both will keep the bike running sweet.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Best air kit-get the one you think looks cool. They all do the same thing.

Rain shouldn't be an issue, they come with rain covers.

No fuel processor needed as long as you have the stock pipes.

If you want it to run great, I'd get a Cobra PowerPro processor or PC5 with Auto-Tune. Both will keep the bike running sweet.
+1 It's all about your style. I went with ArlenNess Big Air Sucker for an old school look. Also have the Cobra PowrPro fuel mgmt. Runs great.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Big Air

I'm looking to get a little more performance out of my custom and have a partial debaffle (4 holes drilled) and am thinking of getting an air kit. I don't think the debaffle did anything for the performance but i'm told an air kit will. My concerns are
1) most that i have seen are open so won't rain water get in and once the filter gets wet and prevent the flow of air. basically stalling the bike?
2)do I have to get a power commander or remap/rejet the bike? I hear yes and no on this. I hear efi bikes do not need remapping and i'm told they do. i don't know what to believe

thx
I went with the Baron Big Air Kit (BAK) on my custom. Slim lines, open all the way round, yes. There is a water repellant membrane that you can put over the filter on wet days, technical term is garter belt looking doohickey. Never had an issue with water. I live at an altitude, so I haven't added a processor yet (looking at new FI12oo autotune) Bike runs mildly rich right now with Cobra pipes and BAK so I want to thin it out a bit. We are also planning a run to the coast, so I will probably run skinny there and really need a processor. I have seen quite a few guys run hyperchargers, but I think they stick out too far and detract from the already fine lines of the bike...IMO..:D

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have an Arlen Ness big sucker, VnH pro pipe 2 into 1 and an VnH fuelpak. I would not expect spectacular power gain. You will get some. The air kit lets more air in, but you need to increase the out flow t get much gain in power and still that may not add a lot. In my experience, if you get a fuel tuner, it won't just be plug and play to get the best performance. Unless you get the bike dynoed or buy something like the Cobra auto tuner (big bucks) you will have to tinker w the settings. Guys on the forum are very helpful in recommending fuel settings, but every set up and bike are different. Course, w new pipes you may also feel like you have more power cause then your bike doesn't sound like a sewing machine. :).
I love my 900 classic. It's very easy to tinker with, has almost endless mods to do and you don't generally have t worry about breaking it.

·
BOTM Winner, October/2012
291 Posts
I have the thunder mfg tornado intake. like everyone else said, its all about what style you want. here is a picture of mine with the rain cover on it:

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
hypercharger with a cobra power pro with auto tune ......

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
You won't get much real gain without also having a fuel processor and pipes (more than just a debaffle, as the main source of restriction is the cat). Of course if you just want it for looks or sound, go for it!

Also, do a full debaffle! Just do it! It's not much louder, it's just much much deeper and nicer sounding!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow a lot of suggestions. I'm beginning to think I should change out the pipes as well because just an air kit may not increase the performance. I was leaning towards barons because they indicated that i do not have to have a power commander

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Wow a lot of suggestions. I'm beginning to think I should change out the pipes as well because just an air kit may not increase the performance. I was leaning towards barons because they indicated that i do not have to have a power commander
If you do both pipes and intake you will need to have a fuel processor.

When you add an intake, you add more air into the engine, but the fuel injection system (which uses a very basic 'map' type system, it doesn't have the complicated sensors and computers your car's fuel injection system has to automatically add more fuel to mix with the additional air) doesn't add enough extra fuel in order to make it run properly, resulting in a lean condition that could damage the engine. Intake ALONE is okay, because the restrictive stop pipes won't allow exhaust gasses to escape well enough to allow fresh air IN to the engine. Pipes ALONE is okay because the restrictive intake doesn't take advantage of the better exhausting engine. BOTH however, results in much more air in the combustion chamber. So you have to have a fuel processor to match the extra air, with extra fuel.

It's, coincidentally, why you won't see gains without doing all three. Just the intake or just the exhaust, alone, result in about the same amount of air in the combustion chamber, this it can't burn more fuel, thus it can't develop more power. If you did intake and exhaust, you'd have more air, but not more fuel. Resulting in still no real gains, AND a potentially damaging lean condition. All three however, and it all comes alive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts