Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At certain RPMs my bike makes this god awful chirping noise. Like right around the 30-35 mph range in 3rd gear, and a little faster in 4th. At first I thought it was a loose bolt on the exhaust somewhere, but after checking I can't find any loose bolts, so I'm starting to suspect the belt, but I really don't know how to confirm. And I had new tires put on recently by a respected shop so I would think they would have gotten the proper tension on the belt.

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated. Not a problem once I'm on the open road, but is makes a sweet bike sound like shiiit around town.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Very likely belt tension or alignment...respected shops make mistakes too. The Kawi spec for this bike's belt tension is too tight...

Did this just start after having the rear tire off?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Sounds like belt tension. Please let us know if/when you find what the problem/cure was as this can help others down the road.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Curious if you have the overdrive rear pulley? Belt squeak with those is fairly common with some of us who have done it. I actually went back to the oem stock pulley because of the squeak and premature wear on the Baron overdrive pulley.

Even without it it's still possible your belt has moved to the inside or out and is rubbing against the side wall.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Squeaking Sound

Hello Everyone,

I've also found myself with a chirping/squeaking sound and it sounds very similar to the OPs issue.

This doesn't happen at any other but during deceleration, and not always while applying brake, or clutch, it just seems to start around 40mph, and stops around 30-45mph.

It is a little confusing because if it was the brakes it would be while applying them or constant, correct?

It happens with clutch engaged, or not, and as I said it only seems to be when slowing down, mostly coming towards a full stop. It doesn't happen while speeding up.

It is also not a constant noise, as in it almost sounds like it is rotational. Squeak, pause, Squeak, pause, Squeak, pause, which makes me think it is wheel based, but as I said it is not all the time.

Any ideas?

Just purchased, 2009 Vulcan Custom SE.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still haven't nailed mine down, but have ruled out the belt, as it happens when revving at a dead stop. I'm getting more used to it now and can basically make it go away with a twist of the throttle, but its still annoying as all get out.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I guess you could call it a chirp, I get it on acceleration in every gear then it kind of evens out and stops, not really a chirping but a squeal, every bike has its own sounds, you want to get driven nuts, try getting on a Goldwing with a high-pitch engine sound constantly at stop signs, no thanks, even the BMW 1600 GTL has its own annoying rev up sound. Just consider it as part of the bike, get used to it, get to the speed where you stop hearing it and keep it there , I think you're describing a normal sound for the 900

·
Registered
761 Posts
I guess you could call it a chirp, I get it on acceleration in every gear then it kind of evens out and stops, not really a chirping but a squeal, every bike has its own sounds, you want to get driven nuts, try getting on a Goldwing with a high-pitch engine sound constantly at stop signs, no thanks, even the BMW 1600 GTL has its own annoying rev up sound. Just consider it as part of the bike, get used to it, get to the speed where you stop hearing it and keep it there , I think you're describing a normal sound for the 900
Probably normal for this bike,yes.Could be the gear whine he/she is experiencing.All four that I have owned have done this including the 2016 Custom that I recently purchased.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Everything I've owned has some kind of noise,even 5 speed car/truck have tranny whine,my nad has it too,know it's not the belt,new tires and belt deflect at 8mm,to me just normal noises,can usually tell when somthin is not right,I think

·
Registered
633 Posts
Still haven't nailed mine down, but have ruled out the belt, as it happens when revving at a dead stop. I'm getting more used to it now and can basically make it go away with a twist of the throttle, but its still annoying as all get out.
Now I get no whining coming from the engine sitting, and when I throttle it up, with the clutch pulled , this may be something deeper, when's the last time you adjusted your valves?

·
Registered
633 Posts
At certain RPMs my bike makes this god awful chirping noise. Like right around the 30-35 mph range in 3rd gear, and a little faster in 4th. At first I thought it was a loose bolt on the exhaust somewhere, but after checking I can't find any loose bolts, so I'm starting to suspect the belt, but I really don't know how to confirm. And I had new tires put on recently by a respected shop so I would think they would have gotten the proper tension on the belt.

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated. Not a problem once I'm on the open road, but is makes a sweet bike sound like shiiit around town.
Tell you what I got a back tire needing replaced soon, when I have it done, I will mention that sound, maybe have the mechanic take it for a quick spin before, and see if he thinks it's an odd sound. Will let you know, but I've had a Vulcan 900 classic before, and I hear the same thing. But the customs and the classics are a little different

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I've also found myself with a chirping/squeaking sound and it sounds very similar to the OPs issue.

This doesn't happen at any other but during deceleration, and not always while applying brake, or clutch, it just seems to start around 40mph, and stops around 30-45mph.

It is a little confusing because if it was the brakes it would be while applying them or constant, correct?

It happens with clutch engaged, or not, and as I said it only seems to be when slowing down, mostly coming towards a full stop. It doesn't happen while speeding up.

It is also not a constant noise, as in it almost sounds like it is rotational. Squeak, pause, Squeak, pause, Squeak, pause, which makes me think it is wheel based, but as I said it is not all the time.

Any ideas?

Just purchased, 2009 Vulcan Custom SE.
If you get sounds while decelerating or coasting you should check to make sure that the drive pulley is tight, this requires removing the belt. If the pulley is loose and there is any slop between the drive pulley and shaft this will need to be corrected.

WB

·
Registered
633 Posts

Hey G-Man, had my rear tire put on today, ask the mechanic about that sound that it makes on acceleration until you get to the top part of each gear, and he said yes it is the belt, and normal noise. After tire change, I still have the exact sound, again it disappears at the top end of the gear. Hope you figured your problem out if it's more than that!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
It's not the belt or a tire or anything else in the back half of the driveline if it happens when you're not moving.

Check for loose parts. Start with the windshield. Look at any accessories, the plastic chrome covers, etc. One possibility in my mind is metal/metal or metal/plastic or plastic/plastic rubbing. The speeds you describe are at the rev range the 900 vibrates the most. So in my mind, this is a simple case of the vibrating bike rattling something against something else.

When you find the offender, remove and reinstall with thread locker. Resist the urge to just bare down on it. Don't over torque the bolts. Snug with threadlocker and your bike will thank you for it with quiet operation.

·
Registered
633 Posts
It's not the belt or a tire or anything else in the back half of the driveline if it happens when you're not moving.

Check for loose parts. Start with the windshield. Look at any accessories, the plastic chrome covers, etc. One possibility in my mind is metal/metal or metal/plastic or plastic/plastic rubbing. The speeds you describe are at the rev range the 900 vibrates the most. So in my mind, this is a simple case of the vibrating bike rattling something against something else.

When you find the offender, remove and reinstall with thread locker. Resist the urge to just bare down on it. Don't over torque the bolts. Snug with threadlocker and your bike will thank you for it with quiet operation.
Hey John, I think he opened up saying he was riding when the sound was happening. I just think he's describing a normal sound. Especially since he commented on the open road he doesn't hear it,

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've also ruled out the belt since the sound goes away when I pull in the clutch and the engine goes back to idle. I also don't notice it at highway speed, but I have a helmet on. Other than that, my "cricket" never stops chirping. It's really annoying going through town. I don't want to stick a lot of money in it trying to get rid of the noise, but if no one can isolate the problem on my 06, I may have to trade for a different bike. There has to be a solution to this. I can't believe it's just an inherent noise that all 900's have.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I've also ruled out the belt since the sound goes away when I pull in the clutch and the engine goes back to idle. I also don't notice it at highway speed, but I have a helmet on. Other than that, my "cricket" never stops chirping. It's really annoying going through town. I don't want to stick a lot of money in it trying to get rid of the noise, but if no one can isolate the problem on my 06, I may have to trade for a different bike. There has to be a solution to this. I can't believe it's just an inherent noise that all 900's have.
Would be helpful if you can provide some more specifics about the noise.

1) Is the noise there when not moving? i.e. engine revving in neutral while parked, drive train not engaged.
2) is the sound there under acceleration and deceleration?
3) is the sound there when coasting i.e. clutch in? if yes does the sound go away when the engine drops to idle but you are still moving i.e. coasting at 20+mph with clutch in and engine at idle.
4) Does the sound occur in all gears or only some gears?
5) Have you checked belt tension, and belt tracking i.e. make sure tension is Not too tight (I suggest 7mm Kawi spec too tight IMO) and that left and right side wheel adjusters are equal.

6)Did you check to ensure that the drive pulley is tight on the out put shaft? This requires removing the belt from the drive pulley. There should be zero slop between the output shaft and drive pulley.

Answers will help to determine if the noise if from the engine, transmission or final drive. Chirping would seem to indicate it is form a moving part, may also want to check brakes etc. to make sure there is nothing binding or foreign objects stuck in there. If you can record the sound that may also be helpful, others may have had that sound and found the source.
WB

·
Registered
27 Posts
1) No noise when not moving, nor revving the engine in neutral.
2) Yes, noise is present during acceleration and deceleration.
3) No noise when coasting, clutch in.
4) Noise is present in all gears.
5) I haven't checked belt tension, tracking, etc. I've never worked on a bike other than changing the oil and know nothing
about adjusting the tension or wheel adjusters.
6) I haven't checked the drive pulley. I'm not sure I'm that comfortable delving into that. I'm pretty handy with home
maintenance/building, but not much working on a bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Coolant cover noise?

After I installed an oversized front pulley, the belt in the area behind the chromed plastic cover for coolant overflow was just close enough to areas of the cover to rub or chirp when accelerating. A dremel tool cleared the way well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
After I installed an oversized front pulley, the belt in the area behind the chromed plastic cover for coolant overflow was just close enough to areas of the cover to rub or chirp when accelerating. A dremel tool cleared the way well.
I guess I'll have to get down and dirty and start putting hands on to try and isolate this noise. Thanks to all who have contributed to this issue. I'll let y'all know what I come up with.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts