Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since half of the northern hemisphere is snowed in and can't ride, here is a topic that I have been pondering and am interested in your thoughts.

There are many types of two-wheeled, motorized vehicles; street bikes, sport bikes, supersport, motard, off-road, cruiser, motocross, supercross, touring, sport touring, scooters, and I'm sure there are others. Here is my question, "What is a 'biker'?" I have my own opinion, and I don't consider myself a 'biker', but I am curious what y'all think a 'biker' is. And the reciprocative of that, what do you call the driver of one of these machines if not a 'biker'? I think of myself as a 'motorcycle enthusiast', but only in the sense that I like to ride my cruiser and not because I like all types of motorcycles. Does the term 'biker' carry the negative stigma of the outlaw groups as portrayed in those B-movies from the 60's and 70's? Is a poser a 'biker'? Can you be a 'biker' without tattoos, skulls and flames?

I do believe in the informal 'brotherhood' that shares in the motorcycling experience and that it includes all genres.

I realize there is no absolute definition, and I'm probably overthinking this, but I'm throwing it out there for discussion.

·
Registered
537 Posts
A biker is what he is when he is the biker !
As you said you are an enthusiast !

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
Well there we were, my brother-in-law and uncle and me watching TV, a documentary on an Outlaw motorcycle club, the 1%ers and the show was on some one infiltrating their club to gather information for the police on the clubs criminal activities, and I just happened to make a comment about being a biker, so my nice brother-in-law pipes in and says to me, 'You Are No Biker'. Well I was a bit taken aback by his comment and then he said, 'What You Are Is a Motorcycle Enthusiast Not A Biker', he went on to say, 'Those In That Motorcycle Gang Are Real Bikers'. So there you have it folks, I'm a Motorcycle Enthusiast.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Doesn't a "Poser" just dress the part and imitate or pose Kinda like a cross dresser ?

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clarification:

The English term poseur is a loanword from French, in which it is used figuratively since the mid-19th century with the same meaning as in English to refer to people who "affect an attitude or pose". Etymonline, an online etymology dictionary, argues that since the "word is Eng.[English] poser in Fr.[French] garb", thus it "could itself be considered an affectation."[3]

Dictionary.com says the word refers to "a person who habitually pretends to be something he is not."[1] The Merriam-Webster dictionary notes that the term was also used to refer to a "person who pretends to be what he or she is not" or an "insincere person".[4] The Encarta dictionary states that the term is used to describe a "pretentious person" or "somebody who tries to impress others by behaving in an affected way".[5]The Cambridge Dictionary defines a "poseur" as "someone who pretends to be something they are not, or to have qualities that they do not have."[6]

Many individuals misspell the word as poser, which by Merriam-Webster's definition is either "a puzzling or baffling question" or "a person who poses" as if for a portrait.

Yes, a cross dresser is a poseur.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I'm not sure what makes a biker either. I think it's both a state of mind on the part of the biker, and being accepted as a biker by others. There are so many variables and conditions, and I think it's one of those things where you are or you aren't, and the decision isn't entirely up to you.

I should say I don't think it requires being in a gang, or living on your bike, wearing a ton of black leather, or having a stable full of scoots. I think the first thing is, as others have already said, having a true enthusiasm and dedication to the sport.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hmmm, checking my various licenses, it looks like I am an airplane-flying, ham-radio-operating, automobile-driving, gun-toting, motorcycle-riding, well-rounded kind of guy.

And I do happen to consider myself both a biker and an enthusiast, but I've been riding since I was a little tyke (the better part of 40+ years), and I attach no negative connotation to the subject term whatsoever. If others do, that's their problem. In fact, to me, the term "biker" connotes something of a participative fraternity, whereas one can be an "enthusiast" without necessarily being a participant (I'm a NASCAR enthusiast, but I have yet to participate in a NASCAR race).

Good topic, K-P!

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'm not sure what makes a biker either. I think it's both a state of mind on the part of the biker, and being accepted as a biker by others. There are so many variables and conditions, and I think it's one of those things where you are or you aren't, and the decision isn't entirely up to you.

I should say I don't think it requires being in a gang, or living on your bike, wearing a ton of black leather, or having a stable full of scoots. I think the first thing is, as others have already said, having a true enthusiasm and dedication to the sport.
If you identify yourself through the motorcycle experience, you might be a biker

If wait in anticipation for the latest J&P Cycles catalog more than you anticipate your wife's latest Victoria's Secret catalog, you might be a biker

If behind everything you do, no matter how far removed from your motorcycle, you are thinking about riding, you might be a biker

If you look forward to your week off by yourself or a couple of friend to ride to no particular destination more than you look forward to your week off with your family at the beach, you might be a biker

If you don't give a rats ass for how other people label you, you might be a biker

However:

If you feel you need to be accepted by other bikers to BE a biker, you're not a biker.

The biker lives within you - not a label put on by others - Not in a leather Jacket or vest, not in the chaps, not in the pipes, not in the brand of bike you ride . . . It is a burning from within that creates a Biker . . .

If you have to ask "Am I?" the answer is no . . .

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You might be a biker IF...

If you identify yourself through the motorcycle experience, you might be a biker

If wait in anticipation for the latest J&P Cycles catalog more than you anticipate your wife's latest Victoria's Secret catalog, you might be a biker

If behind everything you do, no matter how far removed from your motorcycle, you are thinking about riding, you might be a biker

If you look forward to your week off by yourself or a couple of friend to ride to no particular destination more than you look forward to your week off with your family at the beach, you might be a biker

If you don't give a rats ass for how other people label you, you might be a biker

However:

If you feel you need to be accepted by other bikers to BE a biker, you're not a biker.

The biker lives within you - not a label put on by others - Not in a leather Jacket or vest, not in the chaps, not in the pipes, not in the brand of bike you ride . . . It is a burning from within that creates a Biker . . .

If you have to ask "Am I?" the answer is no . . .

DITTO!:D

Here's one:
You might be a biker if, you winterize your motorcycle in your living room.:eek:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Well,
Biker - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bikerCached - Similar
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
Aug 31, 2011 – 1. : bicyclist. 2. : motorcyclist; especially : one who is a member of an organized club or gang. See biker defined for English-language learners » ...

Enthusiast - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster ...

www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/enthusiastCached - Similar
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
a person filled with enthusiasm: as a : one who is ardently attached to a cause, object, or pursuit <a sports car enthusiast> b : one who tends to become ardently ...

So I guess that makes me an "OWNER / OPERATOR" or "RIDER"

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Seems I fit most of Napom's description , don't have a wife so I'm not anticipating any Victoria secret catalogs , live models ..........now that could be a distraction.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Seems I fit most of Napom's description , don't have a wife so I'm not anticipating any Victoria secret catalogs , live models ..........now that could be a distraction.
Live models = GOOD

Live Models with Bikes = AWESOME - for a biker that is!

+1 with Napom. Napom what part of Va. are you from?
Northern VA - And I can't get out!

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
I've been to the Laconia bike week in 2005 and Digby Wharf Rat Rally each September in Nova Scotia and like looking around at vendors stuff, I like buying new biker t-shirts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Fortunately, being accepted as a biker by other bikers seems to be so easy as owning a bike. You don't even need to ride with others! You just have to be dedicated to the cause. But how much, exactly, is a title worth if no one recognizes it? I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it's the nature of humanity.

HEATED SOCIOLOGICAL DEBATE....BEGIN!

I don't consider myself a "biker." I ride. I put a fair number of miles on my bike. I plan bike trips around the best roads to ride and the places most friendly to people on motorcycles (as in no dirty looks cuz I drag a M/C backpack in, or park on the sidewalk, or insist on a table from where I can admire my scoot). I talk bikes to strangers met on the road. I would stop and help any other motorcyclist, even driving the cage. I guess that would make me a de facto biker, but I really don't conisder myself one. Just a fellow enthusiast. I have asked myself, "Am I?" And I have answered: "Who cares?"

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
"What is a Biker?"

As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. Proverbs.

Rockit Man!

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Ponch, you hit the nail on the head. Words from the maker, it doesn't get any better. You are what you think and the actions you take upon those thoughts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts