1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
From the front or the rear? On the front I have five lights total! The main light, two flood spots just beside it and two LED narrow beams on the outside.

On the rear I haven’t done much. I have The philosophy of Franco. “Once they are behind me they are not important.“ Consider a ‘Priority Lights’ module to add running lights on the rear.

http://www.soundoffrec.com/products/lights.aspx

P.S.: I will give props to anyone that gets the Franco reference.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have light bar on front, and soon i'll be doing 'daylight' mod somewhere above my engine guard. I ordered these cheap COB led lights. 2pcs High Power 23mm COB LED Eagle Eye For Car Motorcycle DRL Backup Lights Lamp | eBay

They'll be mounted on marked area on picture. That should be good enough for increasing visibility. Light from side and front, and they are very bright, it hurts eyes to watch :)
Where did you get the light bar? What is a daylight mod? How do you plan on mounting them? I like the idea of them.
For the rear visibility, it could be good idea to add some light to saddlebags :) something like this? White 12V 10W Eagle Eye LED Daytime Running DRL Backup Light Car Auto Lamp

punch tiny holes on back of the saddlebags and attach this lights (can be found in red color too!). Also bright as hell, you'll be definitely noticed.
Not sure if I'm going to reuse the saddle bags I have, so something to consider if I reuse or get another set.
From the front or the rear? On the front I have five lights total! The main light, two flood spots just beside it and two LED narrow beams on the outside.

On the rear I haven’t done much. I have The philosophy of Franco. “Once they are behind me they are not important.“ Consider a ‘Priority Lights’ module to add running lights on the rear.

http://www.soundoffrec.com/products/lights.aspx

P.S.: I will give props to anyone that gets the Franco reference.
Both. Where did you mount the two narrow led in the front? Are the spots part of the light bar? I can't remember, been a while since I've seen your bike. The module looks good, found it for $53 at summit, the priority module.
I made the rear turn signals into running / turn / brake lights.
Added a strip of LEDs inside the housing and all for the total of about $15.
I think I remember seeing your write-up on this. I'll have to go back and search for it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
Light bar mount is custom made, nothing special. Lights were bought off eBay for $34 each.
Where I live, lights must be on all the time when I'm on the road, even on the brightest day :/ don't know how is it in US or any other coutnry. My light bar is 35w hs1 hi/lo bulbs which work with headlight h4 hi/low bulb. I don't want to torture my bike during the day with that much power draw, so I will add lights on engine guard, and in headlight there is already small bulb which can be used for day riding (ba9s 4w bulb, will replace it with led, it will be much brighter). That will be for day riding, for the night, big lights will be on obviously. I have few ideas about mounts for engine guard lights, i'll let you know as soon as I receive lights and start making mounts.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
Light bar in front that I have wired to the high beams.
I put a LED strobe bulb in the stock brake light.
I installed a red strobe brake light that stays flashing as long as I hold the brakes on.
I have bright blue running LED's as well.

Plus all my friends say I look like a motorcycle cop riding up so maybe that gives me a little edge.:grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Light bar mount is custom made, nothing special. Lights were bought off eBay for $34 each.
Where I live, lights must be on all the time when I'm on the road, even on the brightest day :/ don't know how is it in US. My light bar is 35w hs1 hi/lo bulbs which work with headlight h4 hi/low bulb. I don't want to torture my bike during the day with that much power draw, so I will add lights on engine guard, and in headlight there is already small bulb which can be used for day riding (ba9s 4w bulb, will replace it with led, it will be much brighter). That will be for day riding, for the night, big lights will be on obviously. I have few ideas about mounts for engine guard lights, i'll let you know as soon as I receive lights and start making mounts.
Headlight is supposed to be on any time you're riding but not required to have all lights on, just headlight during day.

I don't have a light bar at the moment. Hoping I get to ride soon. Still some work to do, taking my safety course this weekend, then I'll be working on insurance, inspection, etc, but will need a few things to do in the winter lol
Here's a pic of the lightbar setup on Hidalgo.

https://bikerbillsvulcan500rebuild.shutterfly.com/822

More pics are on the website if you want to look at them.
Thanks! I like what you have there in the front.
Light bar in front that I have wired to the high beams.
I put a LED strobe bulb in the stock brake light.
I installed a red strobe brake light that stays flashing as long as I hold the brakes on.
I have bright blue running LED's as well.

Plus all my friends say I look like a motorcycle cop riding up so maybe that gives me a little edge.:grin2:
Thanks for sharing and the pictures. I like the running lights, they look good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I really like that priority light, the basic one to add visibility without overkill. Between that and maybe some red reflectors on the back of my red hard bags, that should cover the bases for both day and night on the back end.

As for the front, I'd like to stay minimalist for now. I did get a standard bulb upgrade to 80/100, but would like recommendations for a modulating device to get it to pulse when it's on, to attract attention. Any thought?

·
Registered
16 Posts
8mm is about 5/16, so it looks like it would work fine. For nine bucks I think I'll try it. Maybe even the red reflective, since my is 09.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
First thing I did was gain weight........ ohhhh for the bike...

I try to keep it relatively clean and waxed, I make sure the chrome shines. I have thought about the rim tape, but have just never tried it. A friend of mine had some on his bike and it worked great, big advantage from the side.

I replaced all the stock bulbs, turn signal, and brake light for regular bulbs that are a bit brighter, I have a brake light flasher installed. I also replaced the headlight bulb with a brighter H4, I wear a silver modular helmet from Gmax that has a light built into the back of it, steady red, slow flash or fast flash. I always use it on the morning ride before the time change and again before we switch back. I have been told it can be seen for miles. When it gets really dark or foggy, I wear a reflective traffic vest that is a neon yellow with 2 inch wide white reflective stripes on the front and back. During regular day rides, I wear a set of "Mechanix" brand gloves and they are the neon yellow with silver reflexite type stripes on them.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First thing I did was gain weight........ ohhhh for the bike...

I try to keep it relatively clean and waxed, I make sure the chrome shines. I have thought about the rim tape, but have just never tried it. A friend of mine had some on his bike and it worked great, big advantage from the side.

I replaced all the stock bulbs, turn signal, and brake light for regular bulbs that are a bit brighter, I have a brake light flasher installed. I also replaced the headlight bulb with a brighter H4, I wear a silver modular helmet from Gmax that has a light built into the back of it, steady red, slow flash or fast flash. I always use it on the morning ride before the time change and again before we switch back. I have been told it can be seen for miles. When it gets really dark or foggy, I wear a reflective traffic vest that is a neon yellow with 2 inch wide white reflective stripes on the front and back. During regular day rides, I wear a set of "Mechanix" brand gloves and they are the neon yellow with silver reflexite type stripes on them.
The reflective gear is a good idea in addition to mechanical items on the bike. I was going to get some of that reflective tape to put on my helmet, in addition to buying a "bright" helmet. A guy I took the MSF BRC with had a bright yellow riding jacket with reflective stripes. Thought that was a great idea.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts