Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard a lot of talk about it. Book recommends premium, but supposedly overseas premium is domestic mid grade? And some people are using regular with good results?

On my way to Branson, and on my way home tomorrow, I used/plan to use mid grade. It worked fine, no pinging. But I didn't notice any real benefit other than it lightened my wallet a little less than premium.

·
Registered
761 Posts
My owners manual calls for 87 octane.That is what I have been using.Higher octane will just be a waste of money on the 900.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Octane

I've heard a lot of talk about it. Book recommends premium, but supposedly overseas premium is domestic mid grade? And some people are using regular with good results?

On my way to Branson, and on my way home tomorrow, I used/plan to use mid grade. It worked fine, no pinging. But I didn't notice any real benefit other than it lightened my wallet a little less than premium.
Yeah, what do you mean that the book recommends premium? My manual specifies minimum 87 octane, which is regular.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know, I didn't actually read the manual, I'm taking that by word of mouth. Now I'm standing next to the previous owner and he's telling me that's what his wife (my mom) told him.

Big confusion. He says just use regular, that's what he always used. So I reckon I will. Sorry to bother! :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
87 works for me with aftermarket exhausts.............seems to all burn off properly with no compromise in power or performance in any manner.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then I reckon I'll run 87 from here on out. Thanks y'all.

·
Registered
96 Posts
In my area the premium is the only stuff without that corn gas added, ethanol or what ever it is called.. I use premium in my small engines, mower, tiller, weed whacker, snow blower, etc. I am only on my second tank with my new 900, the first the dealership supplied and claimed it was premium, I got down to half a tank and put regular in, the next tank I will use premium...

I know for winter storage I will definitely be using premium...

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
415 Posts
I've always used the medium grade, like to feel like i'm giving it a little better than neccessary, yeah the manual calls for standard plugs too, but i'm glad ngk makes iridium ones for our 9's, put them in last service, definitely a difference; she used to want to go to 5th gear at 45mph, now it's almost at 60, plugs were the only change....ride on...

·
Registered
148 Posts
I used to put in premium only, as did the previous owner. For me it was mostly because of the lack of ethanol. I found, though, that I got a lot better mileage out of 87-89 octane, which was a significant issue after remapping with the big 3. I was getting maybe 150-200km (90-120mi) before fuel light :(

·
Registered
94 Posts
An article on regular vs premium. "Premium" and "Super" makes the higher octane fuels sound better but they aren't, they are just made for higher compression engines. Putting it in any vehicle that the manufacturer recommends "Regular" for is a waste of money... It won't hurt your vehicle but it won't make it perform any better. That's all psychological... What I find is most people use what their mechanic or mechanically inclined friend recommends. What they fail to realize is that they subconsciously influence their mechanic or friend into their response. When you say to your mechanic "I have a question for you, I've always used Premium in all my cars and I never had a problem, what do you think I should use in my Vulcan?" Guess what they're gonna say...
Read quite a few articles and they all seem to say the same thing. This one was a pretty good one.

Regular Versus Premium Gasoline

Regular Gasoline Has As Much Merit As Premium Gasoline

"Put a tiger in your tank," says a classic advertising tagline. In today's motoring world, what kind of fuel grade will have the power to place a beast in your gas tank?

The answer, according to experts who study fuel efficiency in detail, is both regular and premium gasoline. And it would be a waste of money to favor premium over regular, especially in these times when gasoline prices are high, according to the experts.

Virtually nothing is gained by filling up with a premium or more expensive grade of fuel than the vehicle manufacturer has recommended, the experts say. And many of the same experts explain that drivers may not lose much performance from their cars by using a lower grade of fuel than recommended by the car manufacturer.

There is little difference in energy content of regular versus premium gasoline. They both contain about 111,400 British Thermal Units of energy per gallon.

The price difference, however, between the fuel grades is anywhere from 20 cents to 40 cents, depending on where you live in the United States. The experts' consensus goes against the long-held belief by thousand of drivers who fill up with premium only, or on every third or fourth trip to the pump. The idea is to fill up with premium every so often to clean out the engines or rev up the performance of older engines.

But according to the experts, this practice is like tossing quarters in a wishing well, since most engines are designed to operate on relatively low-octane regular unleaded gasoline.

Octane is defined as a fuel's resistance to knocking. There is no benefit if the octane is higher than what the engine needs. Engine knock occurs when fuel in a combustion chamber ignites before it should. This disrupts the engine's operation.

The American Petroleum Institute says if you find that your car runs fine on a lower grade, there is no sense switching to premium. The Institute recommends following manufacturer's recommendation, but even those manufacturers say that it is more of a suggestion than a command.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now, I do contest one point. I put premium in my 2012 dodge avenger by accident. Ran rough as John Wayne toilet paper for about 50 miles.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
That's one of the things I love about not having to share a bike with anybody - everybody can use what they like!

·
Registered
96 Posts
There is something to be said about the 10% ethanol in the mid and low grade gas in my area and the premium contains none of that corn based additive, ethanol. I will not run that ethanol mixed gas in my small engines because it has ethanol...

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 82 Posts