Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In keeping with the "what do you do for a living" thread, i thought i'd post a thread about what other sports or hobbies interest you.

Myself, i've been heavy into offroading for 18 years, design and fabricate my own stuff and generally live for rocks.

I have vehicle ADD and change my vehicles every season, some i build, some i buy built, owned and built everything from rock buggys to shiney mall cruising jeeps, suzuki's and M37's. Currently i own a 97 TJ, 4.88's locked front and rear, lowmax 4:1 case, 35's, custom tube fenders and rock rails and all the trimmings, and an all glass 1946 CJ2a thats currently under the knife.

I also really enjoy tearing into old brit bikes and doing custom bobbers, something of which ill be doing alot of over the winter, plan is to build 6 of them, all individual themes and attitudes, 3 for the crew and 3 to sell to cover the costs...cant sit still

Lets see whut ya got?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Those are some sweet rigs Mayhem! I was into rockcrawlin' for a while, being a welder/fabricator by trade I built my own. It started out as an '83 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler, then the fun began:D Added a chebby 4.3 TBI v-6, TH350, kept the D300, went SOA with Black Diamond 3" leafs, 14bolt rear, D44 front, 5.13's, Detroits, hydro-assist, 4 wheel disc brakes, and 39.5x16.5x15 Pitbull Rockers. It was a blast!

We don't have much for rocks in Ks, lol, but we have a pretty cool place close to me that has some good crawlin' for this area. It's only 360 acres and after 10 years I got bored with it plus my wife and kids weren't into rockcrawlin' and I'd rather spend the time with them. It costs so much to travel with a truck and trailer to get to the good spots I just got out, stuck the money into my meanie and enjoy alot more time with my family.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:eek: u butchered a scrambler? lol

Im kidding it looks badass!

I could never convince myself to go 1 tons, coming from a mostly zook background adding toyota axles were like having one tons and i didnt have to make 5 point turns to get tween trees in ontario hah

I'll have a built Xterra within the week, already have the front 44 to do an SAS and run some ARB's, but it's the wifeys rig :rolleyes:

·
Registered
538 Posts
My "OTHER" hobby is considerably less macho than you dudes, but I love model trains. And believe me when I say that they can be every bit as expensive as a tricked out rock crawler.....

·
Registered
525 Posts
Lets see...

- Cars. I work on my 350Z, 300ZX Turbo and a 1982 Fiat X1/9

- Dogs, got 4, keep me busy

- Computers. Besides been my work, I am always fixing one for somebody it seems. I like to play (GW, D2, etc) and do all my car research on it

- Photography. 35mm, now also a digital (Canon)

- Collect DVDs and Books, Also model cars (1:18 die cast)

:) And when I have a chance I go out my my GF...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Hmmm, hobbies. ok...
- Computers - yes I am a gamer, and World of Warcraft, do not play as much as I should.
- Work - definitel work-a-holic
- Consulting - I do books and biz improvement on the side, semi succesful doing it, have some good stires.
- Deal with fam - kids have Autism, so a lot of time is spent dealing with schools, doctors, and such.
- Wife - best friend, though we always seem to be going in different directions due to our family situation. Neat thing, I let her do her stained glass and she lets me ride and play golf.

What else? Hmmm, live on a lake, building a cabana at my dock, have internet reception there, so this summer, once I run electricity, will be out there too, ya?? That, a little fridge, a couple cold ones and typing to you all. Welcome to middle age!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Let's see:
Digital photography, Gobs of stuff, including a Canon EOS 40D digital & lenses
I also have small collection of vintage cameras... From the 1900's through the 50's...and I've always been into computers...
Now the fun stuff... Had..Had, that is (unfortunately) A 1950 Ford 1/2 Ton Pickup (Street Rod) 283 Chevy motor, punched 30 over, Corvette headers, and of course L60's.... Man I miss that truck...
Then of course there's my Bike... That goes without saying...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Diesel performance. Nothing quite like putting the hammer down on a 600 HP 8000# truck. I have a 2001 Dodge Cummins with compound turbos, big injectors, TST Powermax 3, Smarty, 5" stacks, custom gauge pod, full billet trans and the best part is, it's 100% home built. I am working on a full port & polish head with a custom intake, cam and HD valve springs. I am hoping to hit or at least scare 700 HP on fuel only this year....

Here are some pic's:
I have changed the stacks to black miter cuts after this shot.

And a shot of the compounds:

·
Registered
339 Posts
I like to play golf, fish, work on my vehicles and ride my Vulcan. Rebuilt my 1984 K10 from the ground up, Crate 350, 700r4, new sheet metal, paint and axels. Working on the interior now. 1996 Cadillac Eldorado in pristine condition, 300 hp Northstar V8, 18 inch wheels. Both of these babies keep me busy with the wrenches. The rest of my time is spent riding, maintaining my 4 handicap, playing with my kids and working as an oilfield safety engineer.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
my drive

I would have to say photography and drawing... Both kept me alive while I was in the hospital going through my treatment and I always had enough energy to snap a few pictures or scribble on some paper.

Here's some of my work!

And a few photos...

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
The bike has taken over!!! But... among some of my now "minor" hobbies: disc golf, computing (WoW), music in a major way, and I'm starting to dabble with photography, although I don't have just a GREAT camera, as the bike is getting all the expendable funds by way of gas and meals for the rider. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm starting to dabble with photography, although I don't have just a GREAT camera, as the bike is getting all the expendable funds by way of gas and meals for the rider. :)
You really dont need a spendy camera to take nice pictures... I paid $250 for mine and it's not even an SLR. Shoot...The picture of Iwo Jima I posted, I took with a point and shoot. I couldn't even control any manual settings on that camera.
Mind you I will be upgrading in a few months to a Nikon D40, but even a kit for a D40 is under 500 bucks and the lenes are worth every penny that Nikon makes.

Only reason I'm upgrading is because of the lenes. My camera I have right now, I can't put lenes on it. :)

A good photo is about how you compose, you get that first step right and then worry about the equipment!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Oh trust me, I'm putting in plenty of practice time. :) It's an old Canon Powershot A510, 3.1 MP, lol. Once I figure out all the settings, scene shots, etc., I'm hoping to upgrade to the Rebel, but that will be some time...

SO many creative shots that I can see in my mind, but learning how to get them the way I imagine them is a slow, but fun, process.

And I understand about the lenses... that's one of the frustrating things about a "pocket" camera, but ya work with what ya got, right? :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
You really dont need a spendy camera to take nice pictures... I paid $250 for mine and it's not even an SLR. Shoot...The picture of Iwo Jima I posted, I took with a point and shoot. I couldn't even control any manual settings on that camera.
Mind you I will be upgrading in a few months to a Nikon D40, but even a kit for a D40 is under 500 bucks and the lenes are worth every penny that Nikon makes.

Only reason I'm upgrading is because of the lenes. My camera I have right now, I can't put lenes on it. :)

A good photo is about how you compose, you get that first step right and then worry about the equipment!
Oh trust me, I'm putting in plenty of practice time. :) It's an old Canon Powershot A510, 3.1 MP, lol. Once I figure out all the settings, scene shots, etc., I'm hoping to upgrade to the Rebel, but that will be some time...

SO many creative shots that I can see in my mind, but learning how to get them the way I imagine them is a slow, but fun, process.

And I understand about the lenses... that's one of the frustrating things about a "pocket" camera, but ya work with what ya got, right? :)
I work as a photographer and those scene modes are bogus. Get a good book on photo instruction and read it. There are some great videos also.

Music is a big thing for me. I am a drummer and have spent many years in bands and am hoping to get into another one.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I play keyboards in 2 bands as well as do session/sit in work once in a while.

I have a 4yr old 90lb ball of muscle male German Shepherd that I spend a lot of time training in personal protection and obedience. We also have a 2 1/2 yr old 130lb female Great Dane who is also worked in obedience, and an 8 yr old male Pug who isn't trained in anything.

I have an endless honey-do list.

I'm an IT guy by trade so I'm always fixing someone's computer too.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I play keyboards in 2 bands as well as do session/sit in work once in a while.
That's cool. I want to set up a blues/rock band for some extra cash.

here's some shots of my drum gear. I have a Gretsch Catalina Maple kit...

I also have an electronic kit to play after the kiddies go to bed...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nice kit! My drummer has the Yamaha recording series. My brother has the same set. He's got an electronic kit too, a Yamaha. I wish my drummer would get a couple pads for some synth drum type stuff, but he's already running the PA from stage and doesn't want to set up any more gear. The only thing wrong with your rig is that stinking Giants rug! :)

I'll try and post some pics of my rig. I don't have anything current, but I need to set up my stuff and do some maintenance, so I'll snap some shots then.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts