Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

New rider here and am planning to be use for daily commute. Am wondering what you guys go to be more visible. I am planning to get a jacket (thin) to wear but being in Florida, am wondering if there are suggestions on jackets, vests etc... it can get really hot here in summer.

TIA

·
Registered
99 Posts
Guys,

New rider here and am planning to be use for daily commute. Am wondering what you guys go to be more visible. I am planning to get a jacket (thin) to wear but being in Florida, am wondering if there are suggestions on jackets, vests etc... it can get really hot here in summer.

TIA
Silver helmet, white mesh riding jacket....

And I weave alot in my lane. I don't care if it looks weird to other people... At least you are looking at me.

I will be getting a hi vis mesh jacket soon as I think it will be better than my white one.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Concur on the white helmet. (Although I have a few other black ones, I tend to wear the white one the most.)

·
Registered
507 Posts
In the absence of anything else, at least throw on a high-viz reflective safety vest. They're reasonably cool, cheap, and easy to pack around.

As for that jacket -- I hope you mean a motorcycle jacket with the safety pads in it. Road rash isn't just painful -- serious road rash is like a third-degree burn, and you will not enjoy the treatment for it. (See my profile pic? Totally fake -- my arms haven't been bare on a motorcycle since I was 21 and seriously stupid.)

While I'm up on my soapbox, never count on your visibility, no matter what steps you have taken. It's impossible to overstate the incompetence of the average four-wheeler, never mind the really bad ones. I always try to keep in mind the words of wisdom of one of my fellow truck drivers when he accepted his 1,000,000 safe miles award. Someone asked him what he could say about defensive driving and, not a man to over-complicate things, he said, "Well ..................I just figure ........................... if I don't get close to it, I can't hit it." Same goes with them trying to hit you -- and they will.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Anything with bright colors will be noticeable. Saw someone few years ago with few tiny mirrors on jacket back and sleeves so it can be nice addition since sun will reflect from this and it will be very noticeable. Luckily you ride a Vulcan with a bit of chrome in front, keep that chrome shinny, this is extra for visibility too!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Definitely put loud exhaust if it's legal in your state. This is great for those pedestrians who decide to cross the road wherever they want.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Silver or white helmet with reflective tape (silver to the front, red to the rear), jacket and boots with reflective piping, reflective tape on my panniers, high beam on whenever possible, slight weave when approaching intersections especially if someone's waiting to SMIDSY me. I get a few intentional jackasses trying to screw with me, but almost no shocked "OMG WHERE DID YOU COME FROM" reactions.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've noticed that on days when I'm not seen, there are often multiple events of it. Like a car crosses in front, oblivious to me, and then something else happens within a few minutes or a few hours of a similar nature. I've noticed this in cages tool Anybody else every have this? Now I feel like Art Bell, lol.

I suspect my guardian angels are drunk, and it's two for one day for Satan's repo men!

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
Early in my riding experience (which according to my current age makes 'early' actually long, long ago...) I figured out that cage drivers do not see MC riders...seemingly, no matter what you wear or how loud you are.

I am not advocating by my previous statement that it doesn't matter what you wear. Safety equipment is paramount in my opinion. Riding a MC has a built in inherent danger, period. There are things we can do to reduce that risk, but ultimately the risk is always there.

When I ride, I strategically maneuver to keep myself in the best position to be seen. There are some lane/traffic positions that are unsafe to be in no matter what you're driving. The danger is magnified when riding a MC.

I constantly calculate where I should position myself so they can see me. I never just stare ahead and ride in a day dream state of mind. I scan everything constantly, adjusting my position where it warrants. I continuously look for my emergency escape route. I never assume any other driver sees me. In fact I always ride as if they don't see me and adjust my position accordingly.

Although it's legal in some states I do not split lanes. Even though I can maneuver my bike through certain traffic situations in ways that a cage cannot, I never do so. These are areas where drivers never look because they don't expect anything to be there! So...don't be there!

ATGATT

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the feedback. I was planning to get a white regular jacket, but based on the feedback, I think I would look into the mesh riding jacket. Hope it would be comfortable in the hot sun here. I am buying a mostly white helmet. The previous owner modified the exhaust so the exhaust is loud already (actually worried it may be too loud).

For the brake modulation, is that a kit I need to install to make the brakes more visible or this is more of a skill I need to learn?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Check with your local state laws. Some states don't allow certain strobic effects.

They're modules that you buy that probably have several different fluctuating effects. As I said, for some reason some states might allow "this" effect but not allow "that" effect.

If you want to be more readily seen from the rear, you might look into the vast array of LED lights, too. My whole rear end is LED enhanced and much more visible from a distance. Plus, you can combine the LEDs with the modulation setups.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. I was planning to get a white regular jacket, but based on the feedback, I think I would look into the mesh riding jacket. Hope it would be comfortable in the hot sun here. I am buying a mostly white helmet. The previous owner modified the exhaust so the exhaust is loud already (actually worried it may be too loud).

For the brake modulation, is that a kit I need to install to make the brakes more visible or this is more of a skill I need to learn?
Bilt has a really light hi vis jacket that is all mesh. Some mesh jackets(mine.. Joe rocket) has some solid material in addition to mesh. It's hot here as well so I want as much mesh as possible.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Try joe rocket Phoenix 5.0 ; you will have to purchase a back protector.

Saddle up and feel the wind in your Helmet! ATGATT

1 - 15 of 15 Posts