Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Using my 900LT up and down for the work. It is only 5km from my house. I normaly wear just a full face helmet. I cant use riding boots inside the office, so just normal shoes. I do have a leather jacket, but wear only if it is very cold out side. Now um more concerned about the safety.

Would like to know what are you guys wearing for similar purpose with added safety? Any jackets ad pants with safety features? What about some boots which can also be used in office?

thanks,

cv

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
can't help ya there. The company I work for only requires us to show up clothed. Don't matter what just as long as we are covered. :D

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Do you have nice temps year round?

I don't like wearing my riding boots all day, so I keep a pair of tennis shoes under my desk and swap em out every morning & afternoon.
Other than that I wear a mesh jacket with different levels of liners depending on temperature. I can wear jeans to work 99% of the time so I don't have any issues there. :) On really cold days I have a pair of leg gaiters that I take off in the parking lot and leave in my saddlebags.
I also recently started wearing a doo-rag to keep the helmet hair at bay, it stays with the bike too.

Scott

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I wear slacks and a tie for work, so I feel your pain. I don't want to ride in my 'work clothes' because it would be super easy to ruin them with bugs and such, they'd get wrinkled like crazy and dress shoes aren't exactly ideal for riding! Plus, a button-up shirt doesn't provide much protection. Here's the recipe I've come up with;

1) I found some good, comfortable black riding boots that I polish really well. Most folks don't notice I'm wearing boots under my slacks. Though usually I just change, I keep a pair of Oxford shoes in my saddlebag. Wouldn't want to ride with those (basically no sole) so I just swap 'em out.

2) Overpants and a good riding jacket keep the shirt and slacks from getting wrinkled or messed up. Only issue, though, is sweat in the summer. I've been known to just wear my white undershirt underneath my riding jacket then, and putting my shirt/tie on when I get there. Having a decent amount of on-bike storage is helpful here.

3) On really hot days, either take the cage or arrive early, give yourself time to cool off. Again, being all sweaty with a tie on isn't a great combination!

Ultimately though, I've really found the best solution to be just to change when you get there, if at all possible. It's usually pretty easy to just throw a shirt on when you get there, even in the parking lot, if you're like me and always wear an under-shirt anyway.

Also, depends on how strict your employer is and whether or not you can stand wearing boots all day, but don't knock the idea of polished riding boots. The thick sole is a giveaway but other than that, my polished boots under my slacks look just fine, IMO.

Like Scott, I wear a doo-rag under my FF helmet as well. I don't have to deal with helmet hair (hair is too short for that), but it keeps me from walking in with a sweaty head, or from stinking up my helmet! The goal here is to go into work not looking like you just got off a motorcycle! LOL.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I also wear a mesh jacket with different liners, mesh gloves with armor when hot , leather gloves when cold. Full helmet. no doo-rag not much hair left :D
Wear Boots and chaps. Chaps I have are easy to get into a belt then 2 zippers.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I wear slacks and a tie for work, so I feel your pain. I don't want to ride in my 'work clothes' because it would be super easy to ruin them with bugs and such, they'd get wrinkled like crazy and dress shoes aren't exactly ideal for riding! Plus, a button-up shirt doesn't provide much protection. Here's the recipe I've come up with;

1) I found some good, comfortable black riding boots that I polish really well. Most folks don't notice I'm wearing boots under my slacks. Though usually I just change, I keep a pair of Oxford shoes in my saddlebag. Wouldn't want to ride with those (basically no sole) so I just swap 'em out.

2) Overpants and a good riding jacket keep the shirt and slacks from getting wrinkled or messed up. Only issue, though, is sweat in the summer. I've been known to just wear my white undershirt underneath my riding jacket then, and putting my shirt/tie on when I get there. Having a decent amount of on-bike storage is helpful here.

3) On really hot days, either take the cage or arrive early, give yourself time to cool off. Again, being all sweaty with a tie on isn't a great combination!

Ultimately though, I've really found the best solution to be just to change when you get there, if at all possible. It's usually pretty easy to just throw a shirt on when you get there, even in the parking lot, if you're like me and always wear an under-shirt anyway.

Also, depends on how strict your employer is and whether or not you can stand wearing boots all day, but don't knock the idea of polished riding boots. The thick sole is a giveaway but other than that, my polished boots under my slacks look just fine, IMO.

Like Scott, I wear a doo-rag under my FF helmet as well. I don't have to deal with helmet hair (hair is too short for that), but it keeps me from walking in with a sweaty head, or from stinking up my helmet! The goal here is to go into work not looking like you just got off a motorcycle! LOL.
He he. You just live in the wrong area. Boots go with anything here. I wear my brown Georgia Boots almost everywhere.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
He he. You just live in the wrong area. Boots go with anything here. I wear my brown Georgia Boots almost everywhere.
LOL, well it is a pretty rural area so chances are I could get away with brown work boots too! But ya know...

Oh, and another thing I forgot to mention OP; one BIG help to a commuter bike is lots of storage. Big hard bags and a trunk if at all possible. I've got rain gear, tennis shoes, extra t-shirt and sweatshirt, tools, etc., on the bike at all times. ALSO, I have enough room to stash (and lock) my gear, helmet, laptop, etc. on the bike. There are a lot of times I would be unable to commute with my bike if I didn't have all of that storage. Especially with kooky MO weather. I could leave in the morning, early, and it be 75 degrees. On the way home it could be 55 and raining cats and dogs.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
LOL, well it is a pretty rural area so chances are I could get away with brown work boots too! But ya know...

Oh, and another thing I forgot to mention OP; one BIG help to a commuter bike is lots of storage. Big hard bags and a trunk if at all possible. I've got rain gear, tennis shoes, extra t-shirt and sweatshirt, tools, etc., on the bike at all times. ALSO, I have enough room to stash (and lock) my gear, helmet, laptop, etc. on the bike. There are a lot of times I would be unable to commute with my bike if I didn't have all of that storage. Especially with kooky MO weather. I could leave in the morning, early, and it be 75 degrees. On the way home it could be 55 and raining cats and dogs.
When I first took the job I have now I had about a 50 minute commute to work. I had not moved yet (now I am about 5 minutes away) and HAD to ride to be able to afford gas and moving expenses for a few months. It is one thing getting caught in the rain coming home, yeah it sucks and you got soggy britches and boots until you get home and change. Its completely different if it rains on you going TO work. A rain suite is worth it. I did not have one then because I was tight for $$$ at the time.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
When I first took the job I have now I had about a 50 minute commute to work. I had not moved yet (now I am about 5 minutes away) and HAD to ride to be able to afford gas and moving expenses for a few months. It is one thing getting caught in the rain coming home, yeah it sucks and you got soggy britches and boots until you get home and change. Its completely different if it rains on you going TO work. A rain suite is worth it. I did not have one then because I was tight for $$$ at the time.
Wal-Mart sells these 89 cent rain ponchos. Man they are awesome! I actually have a nicer Coleman brand poncho, and the heavier material makes it ride up and blow around. The wally world one is so thin and cheap it clings to you and doesn't blow around. Keeps you very dry! I always keep several in a saddlebag. DEFINITELY useful in a pinch if you don't have a rain suit, or the storage to take it with you all the time. These ponchos come in such a small package they could actually fit in the toolkit for the Vulcan if you have NO storage.

If you do, buy a handful. I've been a hero more than once when I was on a ride and we got hit with rain, and I passed those little suckers out. Usually when I'm done with them I throw them away, not worth trying to fold back up and they rip easy. But man do they work! (And under a buck a piece)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Emergency-Rain-Poncho-with-Hood/19897893

You can find them back in sporting goods. The Wal-Mart around here usually has 100 or so in stock all the time.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
have you checked out "chucka" boots? those are the low top (over the ankle) leather boots; with jeans or slacks on, and standing up, they look similar to loafers/deck shoes. I wore these while teaching Ag in high school. You can even get them with steel toes, which I use with my current job. Tough boots, but look more "casual" when standing in them with slacks/jeans on. I also do the mesh armored jacket in summer. Just bought a brown duck canvas lined armored jacket for winter, with a removabe liner for spring/fall.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
Hi,

Using my 900LT up and down for the work. It is only 5km from my house. I normaly wear just a full face helmet. I cant use riding boots inside the office, so just normal shoes. I do have a leather jacket, but wear only if it is very cold out side. Now um more concerned about the safety.

Would like to know what are you guys wearing for similar purpose with added safety? Any jackets ad pants with safety features? What about some boots which can also be used in office?

thanks,

cv
FYI, classicvulcan lives in the Persian Gulf (United Arab Emirates).

So for ridding gear, keep into account most of the time it's "hot arid climate". He won't really need rain or cold weather gear :cool:

Also, he stated he works only 5km from his house. That's roughly 3 miles for us Yanks.

If it was ME, and I only had to travel 3 miles to work? I'd just wear my normal work clothes. It's only 3 miles.

If your not comfortable ridding 3 miles in "dress shoes", do like others have said, and keep a change of shoes at work.

(You know, you can get "dress shoes" that are have steel toes...)

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I would still go with at least over-the-ankle boots. Ankles are tender things, easy to damage, slow to heal. Also would have a mesh jacket with armor, plus summer gloves with armor. A small backpack could hold that at work if you don't have on-bike storage. But I'm the paranoid type, so don't pay much attention to me!

·
Registered
91 Posts
For me, Like todays ride in, t shirt with a hoodie and my leather jacket. I full face helmet and leather gloves with liners. Jeans with leather chaps on and my 9inch leather riding boots. wearing a back pack carrying enough food and coffee to work till 10pm tonight (double shift day). It was 27degress this morning for my 16 mile ride and it was beautiful!!!. I am looking at 70% chance of rain today. So i made sure i had full body rain gear and rain boots coverups. grabbed them out of the saddlebag as i went in to work....in case.
Dress code is open so i just wear my boots all day every day. they zip on the side so at times i loose them with the zipper.

I agree with Old Bear.. Over ankle boots and armor in the jacket and gloves.

With the way the weather chances around here i normally have about 3 pairs of glove with me, and always dress in layers so i can adjust for the temps. I like to ride a bit on the cold side.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, a lot of discussions. As you know, when you have day we have night here, we have rain rarely 1 or 2 days in a year, we have holidays on friday and saturday etc are the changes from you guys...but we all ride the same bikes as we have a lot of US imported bikes including myself.

We have winter from december to february and I ride only during from october to march. Otherwise car is our option, because it goes even upto 55 deg cel. But people do trackdays all the year (those who wants to go very fast).

I think i will have a better look at the boots which look like formal shoes. This is what i ride...

thanks,
cv

Attachments

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
FYI, classicvulcan lives in the Persian Gulf (United Arab Emirates).

So for ridding gear, keep into account most of the time it's "hot arid climate". He won't really need rain or cold weather gear :cool:

Also, he stated he works only 5km from his house. That's roughly 3 miles for us Yanks.

If it was ME, and I only had to travel 3 miles to work? I'd just wear my normal work clothes. It's only 3 miles.

If your not comfortable ridding 3 miles in "dress shoes", do like others have said, and keep a change of shoes at work.

(You know, you can get "dress shoes" that are have steel toes...)
My issue with wearing dress shoes on the bike isn't necessarily the steel toe, it's the sole. Like I said above, that's why polished boots or a change of shoes works. I just don't want to step in some old pickups engine oil at a stop sign in shoes with a paper thin sole and no tread! That 900 isn't that heavy but it's heavy enough if you haven't got any traction!

Wish I only had 3 miles to go to work! My wife does, less than that actually, we live on one side of the highway, and her office is on the other side, her commute is just going over the overpass! Though to date she's never ridden to work. She says a short jaunt like that would just be depressing then she'd have to stare out her window at her bike and watch all the other ones go by on the interstate all day!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
My issue with wearing dress shoes on the bike isn't necessarily the steel toe, it's the sole. Like I said above, that's why polished boots or a change of shoes works. I just don't want to step in some old pickups engine oil at a stop sign in shoes with a paper thin sole and no tread! That 900 isn't that heavy but it's heavy enough if you haven't got any traction!

Wish I only had 3 miles to go to work! My wife does, less than that actually, we live on one side of the highway, and her office is on the other side, her commute is just going over the overpass! Though to date she's never ridden to work. She says a short jaunt like that would just be depressing then she'd have to stare out her window at her bike and watch all the other ones go by on the interstate all day!
All commutes are that way! At least in dry weather.:D

If your commute is long enough so that you're ready go get off the bike; you live TOO far from work!:D
Tell her to leave 10 minutes early and take the looonnngg way in.

Scott

·
Registered
3,219 Posts

That is about how I am now. I used to ride to work in the cooler temps but now by the time I put on the extra layers and get going I could almost be to work. Then just to turn around and take it all off again once I get there.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
All commutes are that way! At least in dry weather.:D

If your commute is long enough so that you're ready go get off the bike; you live TOO far from work!:D
Tell her to leave 10 minutes early and take the looonnngg way in.

Scott
The only time I have ever felt like that is when I have been caught in the rain. I used to have almost an hour commute to work. I loved it :D. but not now. Now its like 5 minutes:(

·
Registered
240 Posts
my commute...

Well, started out with a leather jacked from First Mnf., and 3/4rs boots. The jacket had a liner that could zip out and keep the coat dry in light rain. Then, winter came to VA. I soon decided to get a storm jacket from First Gear that had a winter liner and turned in my tight rain pants for ones bigger with a liner as well. Still could use tall boots that fit. In addition, gauntlet gloves would be nice as well. Wear a full HJC helmut. When its not raining I usually just wear pants and jeans. Sometimes when its colder I throw the pants on without the liner. With the liner will make you sweat if over 40 degrees. In all, both jackets can be worn in the summer, they have plenty of ventilation. The lighter color of the non leather jacket might reflect some heat from the sun as well. Happy with my commuting gear, could just use a pair of gauntlet gloves and high waterproof boots. To mention, I just put a cobra rack on the back of my ride as well as have two saddle bags to stash stuff in.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts