Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just talked to a former boss. He has been with our company for 40 years and just turned 60. I was asking him about retirement and he said... "what would I do"?

If I have an opportunity for early retirement, and see that I could make it financially, I believe I would jump all over it. I don't see that happening!

I seem to think that I would at least like to try and see if I could make use of my own time rather than someone elses.

So, I have 2 questions if you guys would be willing.

What type of work do you do, how far from retirement?
and
If you are retired or semi-retired, what are you doing with your time?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I work as a document management supervisor for a large insurance company.

I can retire 2023. That's 11 years.... :cool:

Thankful for my job!

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
I retired 2 years ago. I'm 47 and volunteer a lot of time at my daughters school. I also help the neighbors out some and work in my shop here at home.

I worked for Coca-Cola for 27 years and also spent time in the reserves. I had been a mechanic/welder for Coke, and a medic, cross trained as mechanic in the reserves.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Took an early retirement at 63, buy out I couldn't turn down. Now, I spend my time at the Sheriffs Office (SO), as an Aux. Deputy (60 to 80 some hours monthly). Last Oct I became a Certified Glock Armorer and this past Feb. I became an IL certified Police Firearms Instructor. Both courses financially supported by the SO. I really enjoy my days now!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Took an early retirement at 63, buy out I couldn't turn down. Now, I spend my time at the Sheriffs Office (SO), as an Aux. Deputy (60 to 80 some hours monthly). Last Oct I became a Certified Glock Armorer and this past Feb. I became an IL certified Police Firearms Instructor. Both courses financially supported by the SO. I really enjoy my days now!
Doing stuff that you love... :)

That's the way I envision retirement!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I retired 1-1/2 years ago at 53 from municipal police dept after 27 years. My pension covers the expenses. I cut grass for "mad money".

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just switched from being a basic mechanic for 7 years to being a software engineer working on prototype unmanned aircraft systems. I've been working in this industry since mid January.

Retirement is a long way away, but I'm 30, so I have a while to figure out what I'd do when it came time to retire.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I was in retail management for 26 years before going back to school, earning an Assoc in Bible & Theology, my chaplaincy in Palliative & Hospice Care, my BMin & MMin in Pastoral Care & Counsling. Became a hospice chaplain. Retired as a paid chaplain a few years ago. Became a part time volunteer chaplain for both a hospice and a veterans group. Also meet one on one with guys who just need to vent or use me as a sounding board. Visit veterans in health care facilities. Have an Internet ministry of both old and new friends who sometimes need prayer, advice/confirmation, or have questions about faith or biblical matters. Also joined the Southern Cruisers Motorcycle Riders.

·
BOTM Winner, August/2012
201 Posts
I am 8 years away from retiring...from the military. Then I have to find a real job for the next 20 years...hopefully to retire at ~60.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I am 34 years old, and the general manager of a custom wire manufacturer/fabricating shop. (Wire displays, shelving, racks, that sort of thing). I have a REALLY long time to go before retirement.

I started my life out as an industrial maintenance mechanic, got my license as a Millwright, and worked as a mechanic for about 11 years. I moved into a supervisor role for a few years. Then I switched companies and was a maintenance manager of a staff of 30. Unfortunately a strike caused me (and the entire plant) to lose our jobs. Luckily I had lined something up before I was let go.

I went to a wire mesh manufacturer/fabrication shop (which was a move up the ladder) as the operations and engineering manager. I looked after shop personnel, all quality issues, scheduling, shipping, did lots of sales calls (technical sales mostly), looked after maintenance, ISO implementation and upkeep, design work (CAD) and all prototyping and machine set up when the need arose.

After about 4 years there, I moved on to where I am now. I have been here for just over a year. The company I work for was both a supplier and a customer to my last company. I knew the owner well, and knew what type of boss/employer he was, what type of company it was, and I wanted to be a part of that. The opening was there, I made the call, had some discussions, and here I am. I enjoy it very much. I have lots and lots of vacation time, and we only work half day fridays. Plus we have a lot of cool equipment. (I also program dual arm robotic mig welding cells here).

My wife stays at home with the kids, so when I get home she is usually ready for a little break. That means that I usually don't get to ride as much as I would like, but if I was retired, and my kids were older, you could bet your ass I would be riding all over the place (weather permitting!). Not that I'm complaining though. I love my kids, and love spending time with them.

Matt

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I work for a carpet manufacter for now. Figure about 16 years before I can retire, maybe. Am 51 now, by the time I turn 67, I'll be 6 weeks short of 20 years with this co., if still there. Would like to tour the USA on my bike when I retire.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Took a special from from Ford/visteon as a mechanical / electronics/electrical designer.Worked there for 25 years.Also did 45 auto repair ,browning and s&w repair and custom guns and Goldwing rallies and installations.Decided I wanted a normal life due to grandchildren.Worked security at k-mart headquarters for 17 mos.Am currentky employed doing plumbing sales.Waing to collect my full amoung Soc Sec on 1 1/2 years

·
Registered
26 Posts
Advanced Care Paramedic, Captain in the fire department. Teach a bunch of alphabet cources (ACLS, PALS, MFR, CPR, first aid) Ride with the Red Knights Nova Scotia 1. Retirement? Another 12 years freedom 55 would be nice.

Sent from my SGH-I957M using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'm retired AD Air Force but everyone who is retired military knows that is just a career change. Military pension is a joke. So I now work in civil service. Retired? Sort of, but not if you consider I work about 0 hours a week.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I'm a United Methodist Pastor. Uhh retirement? Well, I guess I'm eligible in 2042 or something like that :p Don't have a choice once I turn 72. But that's a long way from now. We'll see where the future leads. Gotta see where God wants me to be, not doing it for the income anyway. (Though it is nice to get paid to do ministry like this, so that I can devote my time to it.)

Heh, I guess I'm the young one in this bunch... I just sent in my paperwork to start my pension plan last year... so yeah, that's how far I am from retirement! LOL

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
I'm a senior software engineer. I've been with the same company now for 12+ years, but I'm a LONG way from retirement.. I'm only in my early/mid 40's. Got another 20 years of work.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Retirement? I'm a Family Practice Physician for the past 30 years. 58 years old. Where did the time go? Still have 2 to put through college, ages 17 and 14. The government is making sure my income drops yearly. Increasing overhead and decreasing reimbursement. Don't even get me started on Obama Care! 98% of all americans have no idea what it is and what is involved. I wish I has one of those cushy government jobs with paid vacations, benefits and and guaranteed retirement checks.
I'm up at 4:30 AM, at hospital by 6AM, begin office hours at 8, home by 6.
Hope to retire at 67, but who knows, congress may see to it that I can't afford to stay in practice before that.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Retirement is still a dream for me. I am 27. I have been an AutoCAD/GIS Technician for 8 years now. It is all I have ever done but I have paid in to a IRA or 401K since I have been 19 so maybe when the day comes that I might be able to retire I might have a little bit of money.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
58 years old. Where did the time go? Still have 2 to put through college, ages 17 and 14.
I thought that I got a late start. I'm 53 and youngest will soon be 15. Daughter is 20 and in 3rd year of college. Wants to be a nurse.

I am like you with my concerns about what our political leaders are trying to do with healthcare... and probably a good thing that we do not know as much as you about what may be coming.

We are teaching our kids the value of their education because we do not want them to struggle the way we have. When I look at the past, we really had it good but the future for them looks somewhat hazy.

Retirement? Only God knows!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts