Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

5321 - 5334 of 5334 Posts

·
Super Moderator
543 Posts
31C here today too, and high humidity. Heading out for a ride tonight with a group of buddies. Hopefully it cools down a little.

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
Changed out my stock windshield for a 6 inch. Horrendous head buffeting with the stock..almost unri5deable farther than 30-40 miles..5 screws..if its no better it might not be on for long.
Unless you got a windshield with an aerodynamic flip, you will probably get more, not less buffeting, but you will be cooler.

·
Registered
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Classic LT
52 Posts
Added a set of windshield lowers to my bike today. Found a used Kawasaki set with a slight bend on one side. Straightened it out and installed it on the bike. Need to get some polycarbonate sheets as the shields in there are cracked. But, I am hoping it fixes the buffeting issues for my bike.

Dan

·
Registered
52 Posts
And cut them out and replaced the broken ones with my new ones. I may have made them a bit longer than stock, but I'll give them a try for a while.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
543 Posts
Shouldn't they come up to the bottom of the windshield? I may be wrong but I would think a lot of air would still be able to slip through there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Since the windshield is adjustable, and I have it as high as it will go, that allows for that gap. I compared it to the broken stock pieces, so the height and width are the same. I do notice a difference though. Sure, there is still some minor buffeting, but so far, at 70mph, I don't feel like the wind wants to yank my helmet off of my head. I am thinking of making a pair of shoelds that are a couple of inches higher as I still have plenty of polycarbonate, but so far, I already notice an improvement.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
543 Posts
I'm considering a set for mine but around here they are over $200 and I'm not really getting enough buffeting to warrant spending that much for a slight improvement. It's mostly just more wind across my face than I'd like but it's not that bad. I know without a fairing I'm not going to get a pocket of calm air anyway. If I can find a used set or find a cheaper set I might try them.

·
Premium Member
2012 Nomad
293 Posts

I have found bigger lowers is better- cardboard template, cut out of poly, all up cost $20. Don’t forget small cutout on the sides to allow for hard lock turning

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tourer

·
Registered
310 Posts
We played hooky from work and did about 300 miles.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
took the front fairing off to look for the pesky windshield nuts. Switching from the 6 inch back to the stock, I had somehow lost three of them. Followed a you tube video and it was actually fairly easy. Found 2 of the three nuts wedged down in the fairing. Decided I would take the time to clear up a few things and install a few accessories while I had it apart.
Air Horn and relay
Led body lights
12 volt outlet(originally changed the 12v plug to a dual 5v usb plug) need for Midland handheld CB radio
on/off switch(later project)
thread thermometer lead into fairing

hopefully it all goes back together...

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
"pesky windshield nuts" Certainly a much nicer description than I usually give them. 🤣

5321 - 5334 of 5334 Posts