Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
5,301 - 5,320 of 5,362 Posts
My bad here. The way I structured my post makes it look like the new battery went click, click, click. That was the old battery telling me that it was done. The new battery install is working perfectly. Sorry about my misleading post. I need to proof read my posts better.

Cheers and Thanks!
Mike

I have recently rebuilt the carb on my '97. I keep forgetting that when I'm in gear I need to be pulling the clutch, or it won't start. Bonehead move. Just want to make sure nobody else is as big a bonehead as me...
SIGH! Not a bonehead at all! I think that we are ALL prone to these moments of "cerebral flatulence" from tine to time. Like panicking because the bike won't turn over and then realizing that you had accidentally hit the engine off switch. Crap happens man! Figure it out, remedy it and enjoy the ride!

Cheers and Thanks
Mike

Reactions: Tourer and March411
Changed the stem bearing to All Balls Tapered, and changed the front axle bearings. I took her for a short ride and I am not sure if it is psychological, but it seems like a new bike without a washy front end.I had to weld up a little tool as I didn't have an Allen wrench big enough for the axle. I welded two 7/8 wheel nuts together. All good now!

That's a creative way to make a tool. I picked up a set of Allen sockets at Princess Auto (Canadian version of Harbor Freight) that had the correct size (biggest one in the set) for about $20. No, they aren't Snap On quality, but for all I'll use them I'll never wear them out or break them. If your stem bearings were as bad as mine (groove cut into the race) then it's not a psychological sense of better handling. New roller bearings made a big difference in mine.

Four new spark plugs, Progressive Suspension's front fork springs, also their new rear shocks, Checked the tires for pressure and wear. Coming up next Oil change. Oh, I almost forgot I switched to a LED headlight.

That's a creative way to make a tool. I picked up a set of Allen sockets at Princess Auto (Canadian version of Harbor Freight) that had the correct size (biggest one in the set) for about $20. No, they aren't Snap On quality, but for all I'll use them I'll never wear them out or break them. If your stem bearings were as bad as mine (groove cut into the race) then it's not a psychological sense of better handling. New roller bearings made a big difference in mine.
Princess Auto is my go to here, and I think better than Harbor Freight in the south, but just IMO. I wanted to get it done so just welded those together and it worked. The bearings and race were not bad at all, but maybe a tad loose. The tapered brgs are so much better design and should give support.

I installed a dual USB charger on my Classic LT. The charger is a simple little cube with two USB ports on one end and an SAE connector on the other. I got it at a local auto parts store, but units similar to this are common on Amazon and eBay.

I ran a cable with an SAE connector on one end under the gas tank to the battery. I used ring terminals to fasten the other end of the cable to the battery posts. I put a 3 Amp fuse inline near the battery post connection for protection.

Initially I was going to zip tie the charger to the handlebar, then I got the idea to use two sided tape. I stuck it to the Classic LT's left hand windshield bracket It's out of the way, but easy to reach and it holds tight.

Looks good I have a 12volt connector (cigarette lighter) but with the increase in chargeable devices, this looks like a good idea.
Thanks.. I considered installing a 12V cig plug adapter that also had USB ports, but like you say, just about everything is USB nowadays. I only use the adapter for my phone or tablet..

I have a similar one on mine but I found it online. I tried every Canadian Tire store in town (3) and even though they showed them in stock no one could find me one. Mine has a switch and a cover for the ports but otherwise looks like yours. I ran the power from the accessory connector in the headlight bucket. Kept all the wiring at the front end. I'm considering a 12V plug so I can carry an electric tire pump.

Ah, you spotted Canadian Tire's famous Motomaster brand :)

Mine doesn't have a switch.. I don't believe it draws much current at all when nothing is plugged in. One thing I might try is to stick an ammeter in series and see if there is any current draw when the adapter isn't in use.

It worked great today. I went on a 5 hr ride. I was using my iPad as my GPS.. It kept the iPad fully charged the whole way.

Yup, the brand was a dead give away. ;)

Mine keeps my phone fully charged as well. Last week we did a 15 hour ride and after 10 hours my Bluetooth earbuds started to die though. They don't work while charging so I plugged them into the other plug and in a hour they were charged enough to use the rest of the way home. Quite impressed with how well it works.

31*C here today. Gave her a bath in the shade and took her on a 50 mile round trip to see my grief therapist and back. Brutal session today. My two wheeled chrome pony let me enjoy the ride home and forget about sh%% for a while.

Cheers All!

Mike

Reactions: Lesblank
5,301 - 5,320 of 5,362 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.