Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

What color should I paint, if necessary?

• orange

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • white

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • red

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • yellow

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the deal: I bought a Memphis Shades Batwing. Then, I promptly found out the Kawasaki blue is an incredibly difficult color to match. After dropping 185 dollars on paint, the color isn't even close. Tomorrow, my painter is going to yell at the Sherwin Williams guys, since they said this was the matching color. He believes they are going to tell him they never guaranteed the color would match and tell me to shove off. If that is the case, I'm thinking about forgetting the color matching and choosing a new color all together. If the color ends up getting changed all together, that's what your opinions are.

Which of these colors do you think would look best on the VN900?

1. Orange

Obviously, something similar to that color on the bike.

2. White

3. Vaquero Red (dark red)

My problem with this red is, I think it looks so good because the rest of the bike is mostly black. Would it look weird with chrome everything that comes stock chrome on the VN900?

4. Yellow

Not yellow and black, just yellow, like on the Victory.

Let me know what you all think.

Oh and here is the fantastically mismatched paint from Sherwin Williams.

The piece on the left is my side cover, and the one on the right is the horribly mismatched MS BW. I need to talk to my painter, since I'm starting to think it was a labeling accident. If that is the case, then Sherwin Williams better make it right. Anyways, here is another picture.

I am hoping that this will be corrected by the SW, and that I won't have to blow any more money on paint, but if push comes to shove, what colors do you like?

-Hayes

·
Registered
941 Posts
I haven't been following posts as well as I should have. What is the hoped for finished project to look like.? Personally I always say black. Flat Black done proper. and nice shinney chrome to smooth her out.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mostly, my goal is a nice bike I can ride the hell out of. I want the fairing, but it is turning out to be a nightmare to match the factory blue paint. My girlfriend has been offering insight and a level head (I just got angry) to the situation. She said it might be worth choosing a whole new color for the bike instead of wasting money trying to match the factory paint.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think what you really need is a new painter.

Joe
The guy is a great painter, I have seen his work before. This is a screw up of the paint shop, not the painter. SW did their color matching thing, but the obviously did a crappy job. Hopefully, they will accept the fault.

·
Banned
334 Posts
The guy is a great painter, I have seen his work before.
I'm not questioning his skill with a spray gun, but he should have caught the color problem before he started painting.

Did he have your side covers so he could double-check the color before he shot the paint?

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
he did, but because it was a candy, he sprayed a coat to make sure it wouldn't lighten. Have you ever dealt with paint? The dry color is always different than the wet color...

·
Banned
334 Posts
The dry color is always different than the wet color...
The point is that if you're trying to figure out who should pay for this mistake, I'd say the blame falls equally on SW and the painter. SW gave you the wrong paint, and the painter should have checked it more carefully before proceeding. That's my opinion, any way.

If you're going to repaint the entire bike, I vote for orange. Red and chrome will look like a fire engine. ;)

Joe

·
Registered
450 Posts
hmm I'm sorry for your misfortune could contact kawi and try n find the paint code but if you end up having to go a whole new color I'd be interested in the yellow, I don't think I've ever seen a yellow 900 and I do love the victorys. The vaquero red is gorgous I do think it would go well with chrome aswell. But I'ma vote yellow for different and awesome color.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're going to repaint the entire bike, I vote for orange. Red and chrome will look like a fire engine. ;)

Joe
First, the painter is eating all the time he has put into the fairing so far, which is about 5 hours with prep,primer, base and the (horrible) color. I met him at the SW to pay for the paint because he didn't want to float the cost (I don't blame him), so it could be as much my fault as it was his. The can said Candy Blue though...

Second, That's what I was thinking about the red. Orange would be interesting, as I don't think I have seen an orange VN900, but my girlfriend said she doesn't like orange, so I'd have to convince her for that color.

hmm I'm sorry for your misfortune could contact kawi and try n find the paint code but if you end up having to go a whole new color I'd be interested in the yellow, I don't think I've ever seen a yellow 900 and I do love the victorys. The vaquero red is gorgous I do think it would go well with chrome aswell. But I'ma vote yellow for different and awesome color.
That's kind of why I picked the yellow... It would be loud and obnoxious, but you would see me coming and all my friends would know it was me. HA HA.

-Hayes

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmm I'm sorry for your misfortune could contact kawi and try n find the paint code
I tried three Kawasaki dealers, and the code they give is a code that is only good with Kawi, and they don't sell paint.

Basically, I found out that most motorcycle companies use proprietary colors, meaning you can only get the paint from them, and they don't sell it... Quite a PITA, but it could mean for a much more unique ride...

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Banned
334 Posts
I have heard from numerous sources not to use them... I contacted several painters before I chose the guy I am using and all said not to use them.
Let me guess... they all said the color wouldn't match properly, right?

Good luck in your quest. I'm sure you'll find a solution sooner or later. If all else fails, do like my son does - Krylon flat black rattle cans. :laugh:

Joe

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
My vote is for the Yellow. I almost,, and almost is the key word here, traded for a Honday1300 over the weekend because of the yellow color of the Honda. Looked great and if it were not for the great range of the 900 between fill-ups, I would have made the trade......

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
there are only two serious colors for motorcycles. black and red. everything else is.. well, girly. yeah, go ahead. flame on w/yor girly colors. black and red still win. ponch out

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Honda has a Gold Wing that has a dark red similar to the Vaquero's red paint job, and chrome goes well with it. I'd go with the red. It's nice looking and classy.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
It takes a strong inner self to not worry about what anyone else thinks about a color. If I wanted to be like everyone else, I would have bought a Harley. :-0 Go for the unique look instead of the old worn out Bla, Bla,Bla, black or red. How much imagination does it take to go with those colors.....

·
Registered
491 Posts
Bike paint

there are only two serious colors for motorcycles. black and red. everything else is.. well, girly. yeah, go ahead. flame on w/yor girly colors. black and red still win. ponch out
First, if you carried your side cover in they should have been able to perfectly match your paint. They should stand behind their product and remix the paint and reimburse the painter for repainting your fairing. If they refuse to, I would contact the BBB (Better Business Bureau) and report them! Most the time just mentioning the BBB will move them.
Second, I would goggle BD Cycles and contact them, they can repaint your fairing and it will match your tins. If you indeed decide to repaint the bike they can paint it any and all colors you prefer. They do amazing work and are among the Best!!!!
Third, if you repaint I have to go with Ponch, red or black or best of both worlds red on black. Good luck. :cool:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Where's the option for "You know what you want, so why ask us?" That's what I would vote for. It's not our bike, it's yours. :D By making the choice yourself, based on what you really like, you can't ever say "I shoulda chose xxxxx color instead of listening to those guys on the forum. Oh well..."

Regardless, I'd say Sherwin Williams owes ya for some paint.

Good luck, and post pics of your new color scheme when ya get it done!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts