Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title said, what brand do you use for battery tender ?
looking for one just charge once a while. I ride local everyday and don't really go on freeway that much to charge the battery fully. i just feel like the battery is weak. so the battery tender would help. thanks guys for answering.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Most use 'battery tender' brand battery tenders from Deltram. There are two popular models, the 'Plus' and the 'Junior'. The junior is a basic trickle charger that automatically shuts off when the battery is charged. The plus does the same but also 'cycles' the battery. You'll get more battery life if you use a battery tender 'plus' or another 'smart' battery charger, over an 'automatic' charger.

That's basically how you'll find them advertised. I would strongly suggest staying away from any 'manual' chargers, even if it's a trickle charger, as they can damage the battery. They work fine for recharging a dead battery but will overcharge and damage your battery if left unattended. Next up will be an 'Automatic' Charger, again, that's one that will shut it's self off. You can leave those on as long as you'd like, they won't damage the battery, and they will keep it 'topped off'. And, finally, a 'smart' charger, which will cycle and float your battery to help eliminate sulfates and other nasties.

Here's the 'smart' model:
http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product/deltran-battery-tender/321-2100.aspx

What's cool about the Deltran models (and some others) is that they include pigtails you can install on your battery. You can leave them under the seat or leave them hanging out of the seat, and then when you pull it in the garage, just plug in the pig tails! If you can, plug it in to a smart charger whenever it's at home, it'll keep your battery lasting it's longest!

You may also consider a 'battery desulphator' or a model that does desulphation. Batteries can fail in a lot of ways (worn plates, shorting, etc.) but the most common is sulphate buildups. Now, I don't have any experience with this myself, but I have a family friend who has a 1995 Goldwing with the original battery in it. He has this high end battery tender with a desulphate mode on it, and each winter when he stores it, he turns it on that mode. Takes a few days for it to complete, but then the battery is good as new each time. Again, haven't tried it myself, but it's hard to argue with a 17 year old motorcycle battery.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Make sure that the tender is not covering up another problem or you might find yourself pushing.
+1 what he said. Check out the sticky on the 900 forum on the Stator information. Do those tests outlined there and post your results. Stator failures are common on the 900 and often start slow. If you feel like the battery is weak it could be anything from the charging system to a failing battery. Take the battery to a dealer or somewhere that specializes in motorcycles and have them test the battery. (Sfair can confirm but I've been told that automotive grade load testers cannot accurately determine if there is a problem on a motorcycle battery).

How old is the battery? What reason do you have to think it's 'weak'? Does it have trouble starting? Does it crank slowly? Does the battery need to be charged from time to time?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Most use 'battery tender' brand battery tenders from Deltram. There are two popular models, the 'Plus' and the 'Junior'. The junior is a basic trickle charger that automatically shuts off when the battery is charged. The plus does the same but also 'cycles' the battery. You'll get more battery life if you use a battery tender 'plus' or another 'smart' battery charger, over an 'automatic' charger.

That's basically how you'll find them advertised. I would strongly suggest staying away from any 'manual' chargers, even if it's a trickle charger, as they can damage the battery. They work fine for recharging a dead battery but will overcharge and damage your battery if left unattended. Next up will be an 'Automatic' Charger, again, that's one that will shut it's self off. You can leave those on as long as you'd like, they won't damage the battery, and they will keep it 'topped off'. And, finally, a 'smart' charger, which will cycle and float your battery to help eliminate sulfates and other nasties.

What's cool about the Deltran models (and some others) is that they include pigtails you can install on your battery. You can leave them under the seat or leave them hanging out of the seat, and then when you pull it in the garage, just plug in the pig tails! If you can, plug it in to a smart charger whenever it's at home, it'll keep your battery lasting it's longest!

You may also consider a 'battery desulphator' or a model that does desulphation. Batteries can fail in a lot of ways (worn plates, shorting, etc.) but the most common is sulphate buildups. Now, I don't have any experience with this myself, but I have a family friend who has a 1995 Goldwing with the original battery in it. He has this high end battery tender with a desulphate mode on it, and each winter when he stores it, he turns it on that mode. Takes a few days for it to complete, but then the battery is good as new each time. Again, haven't tried it myself, but it's hard to argue with a 17 year old motorcycle battery.
+1 on the Deltran Plus. They also have a two battery model so you can use one unit for two bikes.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I use a Deltron Plus. I picked it up when I got my new Ducati 748 and the battery was weak (it was a year old, new bike when I bought it, which I think might have killed the battery). I could literally ride all day and the battery wasn't strong enough the next night to start the bike, luckily it WAS strong enough to start it the next morning. I put the tender on it and it never failed to start for the next 5 years until I sold the bike, and kept the tender, haha.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Using the battery tender junior. I ride enough to cycle the battery. Seems to work well to keep the battery topped off.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

thanks for the reply, very detail answer i'm looking for and i remember while i was installing the speakers, 2012 model do came with pigtail that i can hang out of the seat, what a nice touch. i just plug in and charge with the battery tender.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
+1 what he said. Check out the sticky on the 900 forum on the Stator information. Do those tests outlined there and post your results. Stator failures are common on the 900 and often start slow. If you feel like the battery is weak it could be anything from the charging system to a failing battery. Take the battery to a dealer or somewhere that specializes in motorcycles and have them test the battery. (Sfair can confirm but I've been told that automotive grade load testers cannot accurately determine if there is a problem on a motorcycle battery).

How old is the battery? What reason do you have to think it's 'weak'? Does it have trouble starting? Does it crank slowly? Does the battery need to be charged from time to time?
Its 2012 model i just bought in april, bettery seem fine, bike start right up.
But after i installed the pair of rumbleroad ultra amped speaker, i tested around and may have drained some battery while testing and i ride local only. so maybe the reason never charged up fully. I'm not saying right now at this moment the battery is bad, I just want it to be fully charge up once a while. I know its hard to charge up a battery if i only ride local everyday and each way about 8 miles plus i listen to the music while riding. dont want the stator work too hard keep charging th battery because it was low, maybe ?? i think.
just something to help out the charge. nothing major.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use a Deltron Plus. I picked it up when I got my new Ducati 748 and the battery was weak (it was a year old, new bike when I bought it, which I think might have killed the battery). I could literally ride all day and the battery wasn't strong enough the next night to start the bike, luckily it WAS strong enough to start it the next morning. I put the tender on it and it never failed to start for the next 5 years until I sold the bike, and kept the tender, haha.
thanks, seem like everyone saying good stuff about the "Plus" from Deltron battery tender.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Using the battery tender junior. I ride enough to cycle the battery. Seems to work well to keep the battery topped off.
Ah, i see. so i dont really need the "plus" since I ride everyday, i only need the "plus" if im storing up the bike more months. thanks, good info.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Your 2012 model probably didn't come with those pigtails, the dealer probably left them on. Most dealers around here install battery tender leads on all bikes and rotate them through to keep them charged. They usually take the leads off when they sell the bike but it sounds like you got lucky! Unless you are referring to the accessory port, in which case, that's NOT the same thing. A battery tender should be connected DIRECTLY to the battery, not through any of the bikes wiring.

I'm still concerned about you feeling you have a 'weak' battery. If it was just the isolated event, running your speakers then riding, no problem. But, ESPECIALLY while you are still under warranty, I'd keep a close eye on that. Battery tender is a great idea but I'd still be watching that electrical output!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your 2012 model probably didn't come with those pigtails, the dealer probably left them on. Most dealers around here install battery tender leads on all bikes and rotate them through to keep them charged. They usually take the leads off when they sell the bike but it sounds like you got lucky! Unless you are referring to the accessory port, in which case, that's NOT the same thing. A battery tender should be connected DIRECTLY to the battery, not through any of the bikes wiring.

I'm still concerned about you feeling you have a 'weak' battery. If it was just the isolated event, running your speakers then riding, no problem. But, ESPECIALLY while you are still under warranty, I'd keep a close eye on that. Battery tender is a great idea but I'd still be watching that electrical output!
yup, i know its not acc port, its a pigtail the dealer forgot. lol
Bike seem fine and did the check up not long ago. ordered the junior and getting a digital voltmeter tomorrow just to see if the stator work proberly.
use to work for radioshack so i get employee discount. lol

·
Registered
382 Posts
I dont want the stator work too hard keep charging the battery because it was low, maybe ??.
I think stator-type charging systems (also found on lawn tractors) are kicking out 100% capacity all the time, and the excess energy is dissipated by the, crap... I forget what it's called... it's like a voltage regulator. In the 900s its down by the oil filter.

·
Registered
365 Posts
thanks, seem like everyone saying good stuff about the "Plus" from Deltron battery tender.
I consider it an investment, you can get cheaper tenders, but my Deltron Plus has been keeping me going for 10 years on the Ducati, KLR650, EX 500, my teardrop trailer, ER6N, Suzuki S40 and now my VN900. Everything I get gets a lead, and gets plugged in.

·
Registered
53 Posts
$29.99 from Walmart. Only use it in the winter. Everywhere I ride is about 20 miles one-way & I don't have a lot of extra power drain items for the stator to be an issue. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
+1 on Deltran Plus charger, I've used one (with pigtails installed) one my last two bikes, and have had no batt problems or replacements so far. Also +1 on Roman's excellent brief on chargers, batts and batt maintenance above.

By all means spend a few extra bucks and get a "smart" charger, it's a one-time investment and the "smart" circuitry will take care of your batt's insides while it stuffs it full of electrons, and definitely get a charger that uses a "pigtail" (fused, in the case of the Deltran) so you can charge directly to your batt's terminals and the charger can "see" the batt's state of charge and internal condition clearly. Also, when charger is not connected, the pigtail then gives you unswitched 12VDC output direct from the batt for accessories, cell phone charger, ipod, etc.

SH

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
No need to check stator output, etc, etc, at this time. When you get your meter, this is what you do:

1. Start engine and take a voltage reading across battery, all accessories off.
2. Rev engine up to guestimated rpm that it turns at 30mph in the gear that you normally drive. (say, 2200rpm.) Take another voltage reading.
3. Holding that rpm, turn on the accessories that you normally use and take another reading.

Be sure and post back with any questions.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts