Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am getting close to replacing my rear brake pads and my fronts aren't that far behind.

I wanna hear you guys opinion on new brake pads.

what are the best quality brands?

Anyone have any suggestions for more of a stronger biting brake pads?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EBC HH pads are the way to go. Everyone I ride with has switched to these and after last months change i know why, they've got the stop.

EBC Brakes FA174HH Disc Brake Pad Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00666CJ0G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_JS4qIxUTu7saQ

15-18 KAWASAKI EN650SA: EBC HH Brake Pads (Front) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZY8DJC9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_8Lhadi4jRklN4

Are those both the front and back for our bike?

I have heard good things about those brakes but wasn't sure

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi B3hulk
Wished I’d asked that question a year ago , brake pads needed doing looked on internet found a set front and rear for my vn900 , reasonably priced ( think it was on amazon ) within 2 weeks one of the front pads had become un bonded leaving me with no front brakes . When I got home ( without dying ) did another search for the best pads for my bike found a company called EBC brakes ordered a set , cost twice as much as the first set , changed them had no problems at all . Lesson I learned “ if your changing brake pads don’t go cheap “ . Hope this helps ride safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
494 Posts
Agreed...safety items should NEVER be bought on the cheap and your brakes are the #1 safety device on any vehicle.

If you can't safely stop your vehicle you're...well...uuummm...DOOOOOOOMED!!

Don't be the cause of your own demise by pinching pennies on your brake pads!!!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
2 items you should never ever go cheap on, tires and brake pads, get the best

·
Registered
103 Posts
Advice from a OG (Old Guy)

Stay away from sintered pads - unless you do track days.

https://ebcbrakes.com/articles/what-is-sintering-2/

Put new pads on my Vulcan 900 most local shops pushed the sintered pads - Why??

Sell more parts - sintered pads put more wear on your Rotors. - sell more parts - rotor for a bike about $300.

Organic pads are the way to go and EBC is a good brand.

:nerd: read the link!!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Biebs is right. HH or full sintered pads are hard on your rotors. I am trying EBC Semi-Sintered pads. I like em. Don't know about their wear rate as I have only had them on about one month. But, I would rather replace pads 10 to one over rotors.

·
Registered
654 Posts
...sintered pads put more wear on your Rotors....
It's pretty important to include some amount of ware on your rotors otherwise they will glaze and lose braking power no matter what pads you have. The right recipe for pads is a true art form and it varies for how you use your brakes.
I'm coming up to needing pads on my bike so it's a great topic you've raised Hulk.
How many km's have you done so far to need a pad change. I've recently gone 44,000km but I'm very clutch bias and admittedly don't ride as hard as I did when the bike was new.
Have you checked your rotor thickness is still within spec too?

·
Registered
654 Posts
EBC HH pads are the way to go. Everyone I ride with has switched to these and after last months change i know why, they've got the stop.

EBC Brakes FA174HH Disc Brake Pad Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00666CJ0G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_JS4qIxUTu7saQ

15-18 KAWASAKI EN650SA: EBC HH Brake Pads (Front) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZY8DJC9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_8Lhadi4jRklN4
Unfortunately USA Amazon blocked out Australia as part of a trade deal with the Aussie government so they could secure a localise version of its website with a 10th of the products at heavily inflated prices compared to US market. I really miss buying from the US with dirt cheap Amazon shipping.:frown2:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hello Hulk I've used EBC , AP Racing and Galfer all three sintered they all have lasted reasonably long without any defects (unbonding ) also none of them had any annoying squeal , the type you choose should correspond to your riding style the more agressive the harder the pads should be wich in turns wears your discs faster .

·
Premium Member
944 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys for the feedback but judging on everyones thoughts and their riding styles, I will go with the sintered brake pads.

I use my bike daily. I have had it less than a year and have 20 xxxkms on it already.

I have noticed a huge lack in stopping power lately and I need something that has a lot more of a bite.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
sinter metal pads the best

·
Registered
142 Posts
I didn’t really want sintered bc it’s not a sport bike and would have liked to preserve my rotors. I went ahead and ordered them though bc I couldn’t find semi-sintered ones for the front. Did for the back.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I recently installed the sintered brakes on the bike and woah, what a difference.

I did the usual bedding and didn't really noticed anything until I had a sudden stop to do.

Car in front of me had to stop because the car in front turned off without an indicator ( yes it was a bmw) I pressed hard on the rear brakes and the bike stopped!

I am really happy with this brakes ,a lot more bite and responsive. Only issue , they are louder than the stock in the first 200-300 kms.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts