Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A co-worker showed me this beauty and we have spent quite a while trying to figure out what it is. He just found it on the web and made it his wallpaper. This is the best resolution photo we have and making out the badge and other markings is difficult. Just curious if anyone knows off hand.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
is that a heel-toe shifter on the right? That might indicate reversed controls and the Brits did that a lot. That's all I got man, looks like something Harley Earl would dream up.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
it is a 1957 Aermacchi Chimera

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
is that a heel-toe shifter on the right? That might indicate reversed controls and the Brits did that a lot. That's all I got man, looks like something Harley Earl would dream up.
That is what I was going to say. It looks like it could have been an old Norton or something from the UK. Just from the styling. But as for what it really is, I have no Idea.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
659 Posts
"This 175cc bike was a sales flop. Harley Davidson bought Aermacchi Chimera in 1972."

Seems they have a penchant for buying flops and losing their shorts...
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/harley-davidson-sells-mv-agusta-castiglioni/
I mean, to buy a company with 109M of debt and turn around two years later and sell it back to the family for basically $1, is ludicris. There was no letter behind that number it was ONE DOLLAR.
Then before that to kill off Buell when they had multiple chances to sell to Bombardier...
http://rideapart.com/2010/03/report-harley-could-have-should-have-sold-buell/
Then of all things, just after the Buell shut down HD had the audacity to ask via their facebook page what their fans would like to see in their racing program. Needless to say they got a good ribbing for shutting down the only sport oriented bike they ever really had. But I digress, glad you found out the make of the bike.

·
Registered
182 Posts
That is what I was going to say. It looks like it could have been an old Norton or something from the UK. Just from the styling. But as for what it really is, I have no Idea.
You may be thinking of the Ariel leader and Golden Arrow from the 1960s. Very similar styling. These bikes were 250cc 2 Strokes and were quite fast for their time.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
You may be thinking of the Ariel leader and Golden Arrow from the 1960s. Very similar styling. These bikes were 250cc 2 Strokes and were quite fast for their time.
Probably so. I am not that familiar with classic European motorcycles. I just knew that some of them "back in the day" looked similar to that. Guessing by your avatar pic you are more educated than me on the topic of European bikes. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts