Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I'd start a little thread here.

Like the title says, got any winter project plans for the 9'er?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll start;

I've got some hard bags on the way, that'll be first. While it probably won't happen this winter, I'd also like to add a fairing with 6x9 speakers in it, and get the trailer hitch on the bike. Wife and I are planning on taking our vacation next fall camping off of the motorcycle. Like to get a trailer to haul our gear in for that.

Then NEXT winter, I should be 'finished' with my bike (yeah right, I'll think of something), and I'll paint the whole thing! I've been looking at what it would cost to paint the bags/trunk/fairing in the Kawa two tone and, because Colorrite is the only company I have found that has the paint and it's ultra expensive, it'll actually be just as cheap if not cheaper just to paint the entire bike a custom color. Planning on doing this:

With pearl white accents/trim.

How about you? What plans do you have for your bike?

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
Jeff have you not been paying attention?..... NEXXA autocolor paints and most likely RM (basf) paints have all the kawi colors.....

btw just razzin ya i know ya dont read every post on here....

·
1,172 Posts
As for my winter plans... a crash bar and a set of harley type lower fairings with speaker pods ... just wish the 9 had a bit better charging system so i could put a set of subs in the pods and an amp to power them!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Personally I intend to ride the wheels off the thing. If I wanted to work on one I'd buy a second one to work on and keep one to ride. :rolleyes: Which is something I'm thinking hard about. Discovered a 2K engine complete with wiring and all electronics and fuel controls for cheap. Who knows? But I'll be riding the 9 all winter long.:)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Jeff have you not been paying attention?..... NEXXA autocolor paints and most likely RM (basf) paints have all the kawi colors.....

btw just razzin ya i know ya dont read every post on here....
I'm John, not Jeff! :p

Huh, I'll look into that. But my mind is pretty set on the Dupli-Color Paint Shop setup there. Silver base with a translucent orange on top. I like the look and, at any rate, when you're doing a fairing, bags, and trunk, a tank and a couple of fenders doesn't add much. Then I get a cool custom setup rather than just matching the stock paint.

Personally I intend to ride the wheels off the thing. If I wanted to work on one I'd buy a second one to work on and keep one to ride. :rolleyes: Which is something I'm thinking hard about. Discovered a 2K engine complete with wiring and all electronics and fuel controls for cheap. Who knows? But I'll be riding the 9 all winter long.:)
Yeah I'll ride too but the winter is still a good time to get things done. If for no other reason than I just don't have much going on in the winter. I stopped commuting with the bike this season. Just don't like dealing with all of that warm gear when I get there. So I mostly just ride on the weekends or a warm afternoon. Dunno where you're at but our highs are barely breaking 50 degrees right now, just not ideal riding conditions for riding every day like I do in the summer!

As for my winter plans... a crash bar and a set of harley type lower fairings with speaker pods ... just wish the 9 had a bit better charging system so i could put a set of subs in the pods and an amp to power them!!
Dunno if that would work with your lower fairing plans but I've got the Kawasaki Fire and Steel highway bars and they look really good on the bike. Nice and solid too. Mine are actually for the custom, but I shimmed up the floorboards with some flat washers so they would work with the mount (which is intended to bolt up to the Customs forward controls)

Like to see how that turns out! Wouldn't mind a similar setup in the winter. Mutazu has a set of H-D lowers.

I think in the end you and I are gonna have just about the same bike, except for yours having the bicycle tire up front in stead of a real motorcycle wheel :p (just kiddin') Now you just gotta get a tour pak and I've gotta get a fairing and we'll match! LOL

·
1,172 Posts
lol ya i did mean John.... but someohow Jeff is what came out ... lol and hey i dont blame ya for wanting that orange, its a nice color!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've added so much this year, all I have planned is some OEM lowers to help keep the chill off, 'coz I'M NOT GONNA STOP RIDING BECAUSE IT'S A LITTLE COLD!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bags on the way - Viking.

New Pipes arrive today - Road Burner Large Radius curved in matte black.

New gas gauge connector - the one it has now is a bit mangled - with the 270 ohm resistor soldered on.

then ride the heck out of it! Does't snow much down here in GA, so as long as it's over 40 F, I'm on it!

Doc

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well, before it goes into storage, I am going to change the plugs (first time taking the tank off) and do the oil. I also plan to get accent lights (LED) at the Bike Show in January, so will install them and that is about all. Really love the bike just as it is.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I'm tired of hearing about if you should only run two thousand miles, or three thousand miles on diesel oil, instead of just running motorcycle oil and not having to worry about it.
I'm going to try running on turkey drippings collected from Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. A local Boston Market said I can have their chicken drippings, but I'm thinking that chickens don't have the same viscosity as turkeys. The chicken stuff would be more plentiful though, so maybe if I change it every 500 miles, it won't shear too much from operating inside the transmission. I don't know if I'll be able to report on the long-term effects since I don't ride much during the winter.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Almost 4000 miles past the recommended valve clearance check. When the snow comes I'm gonna dive into that project.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Almost 4000 miles past the recommended valve clearance check. When the snow comes I'm gonna dive into that project.
I need to do that too! Got the shims... just gotta find where I put the time!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I plan on riding it! Year round riding here in Texas. YeeHAWW!
I'm gonna have to put a disclaimer. Everyone thinks they are soooooooo clever posting 'I'm gerrnna ride it!' because apparently they ride 24/7/365 and don't even shut the motor off, so there's no way they could add any accessories over the winter!

LOL, just kiddin' ya man. Can ya tell I'm very jealous? Come summer time when it's 80 degrees and I'm cruisin' and it's 110 down there it'll be different. But, yeah, the HIGH... the HIGH today is 42. I'm not happy. LOL. I rode all last winter, it never really got cold. I'll ride down into the 40's, but when the HIGH for the day is the lowest I'll ride in, that means I have like a 30 minute window to ride! Sheesh. Stupid weather! LOL

Supposed to be upper 60's this weekend. You know where I'll be!

Give me a couple weeks though and I'll be so sick of not riding I'll suit up and ride down into the 30's!

The biggest problem I have is all the clothes and gear associated with riding in the cold, and how dark it gets as soon as it does. It's miserable when it's dark and cold! I don't mind wearing all the gear, but it's a pain to deal with whenever you get where you're going.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm gonna have to put a disclaimer. Everyone thinks they are soooooooo clever posting 'I'm gerrnna ride it!' because apparently they ride 24/7/365 and don't even shut the motor off, so there's no way they could add any accessories over the winter!

LOL, just kiddin' ya man. Can ya tell I'm very jealous? Come summer time when it's 80 degrees and I'm cruisin' and it's 110 down there it'll be different. But, yeah, the HIGH... the HIGH today is 42. I'm not happy. LOL. I rode all last winter, it never really got cold. I'll ride down into the 40's, but when the HIGH for the day is the lowest I'll ride in, that means I have like a 30 minute window to ride! Sheesh. Stupid weather! LOL

Supposed to be upper 60's this weekend. You know where I'll be!

Give me a couple weeks though and I'll be so sick of not riding I'll suit up and ride down into the 30's!

The biggest problem I have is all the clothes and gear associated with riding in the cold, and how dark it gets as soon as it does. It's miserable when it's dark and cold! I don't mind wearing all the gear, but it's a pain to deal with whenever you get where you're going.
don't feel bad. I live in Floriduhhh and it was 43 this morning. I ain't riding in that either so yeah, I doubt everyone gets to ride all the time, although I see posts about storage and that is crazy talk...well here anyway:p

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
don't feel bad. I live in Floriduhhh and it was 43 this morning. I ain't riding in that either so yeah, I doubt everyone gets to ride all the time, although I see posts about storage and that is crazy talk...well here anyway:p
I agree. Storage goes against everything I believe in :p.

I might not get to ride it for a couple of weeks, and it does go on the tender! But that first warmish-not-death-cold-ish day I'll be on it!

I do change the oil before the 'end' of the regular riding season, and start adding seafoam with each fillup though. Seafoam is a good fuel stabilizer, and the oil change is usually close to due anyway.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I agree. Storage goes against everything I believe in :p.

I might not get to ride it for a couple of weeks, and it does go on the tender! But that first warmish-not-death-cold-ish day I'll be on it!

I do change the oil before the 'end' of the regular riding season, and start adding seafoam with each fillup though. Seafoam is a good fuel stabilizer, and the oil change is usually close to due anyway.
yep, Seafoam is my friend too, actually year round for me... good stuff

·
Registered
498 Posts
Oh yes there are plans nothing to serious. I decided I am going to paint my spokes to match the tins. I will pull my front fender and put some orange on it to match the rest of the bike. Hopefully get a none bent headlight ring and get it replaced. Wet sand and buff the entire bike( I never did when I painted it this summer I figured it was a winter project. Make some custom risers for my 1 1/4" bars. I have a friend that is trying to talk me into painting the frame. So maybe that will happen. Then I only need to find a primary cover and replace the front signals with LED like the rear. Thats my short list for this winter.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts