Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm investigating the carb on my VN800a and took off the cover to get to the needle valve.

These two washers fell out.

What are they for??

·
Registered
20 Posts
I believe they are to hold the stop spring (not the spring in your picture) in tension. Google your bike name, size and "carburetor diagram" and you will find a schematic.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes! Exactly! To protect a little snap ring on the needle. Nothing else.
Oh, I guess I should put them back on?
Because the needle has several slots cut in it for the snap ring, I figured I would just move the snap ring to the slot that corresponds with the position that the washers would place it, and leave the washers off.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yes! Put them back :) The snap ring and those grooves are for adjusting the needle height, but the washers are generally just for preventing the whole combination to misbehave while moving.

Actually, some guys say that it would be enough with only one washer there. Yes, that's true. :) (And in my opinion nothing bad would happen even with no washers at all. ) So, why there are two washers? Well, there's no exact answer. I red a lot of ideas. Nothing convinces me really. Some guys believe that these washers also are used for adjusting the needle height. In the way, If You use only one washer it's thinner than one big groove step, but the combination of two washers together are thicker than one big groove step. Or something like that....
Personally I don't believe in such a religion. This carb is not so accurate by default :) So, the best way is to leave them there and do other interesting adjustments ;)

P.S.
If someone has a better explanation of this, please share Your thoughts here. It would be interesting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm investigating the carb on my VN800a and took off the cover to get to the needle valve.

These two washers fell out.

What are they for??

Funny! I was cleaning and checking my carb last night and the same thing happened. "Where did these come from" I asked myself. I figured out that they had to have come off the needle. I put it back together and everything ran fine so i guess i was correct.

Mike

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
those 2 little washers come in a dynojet kit with adjustable needle, and they go directly on top of the e-clip that's on the needle, the reason for the 2 washers is to keep the needle from bouncing up and down when your bike rides over bumps in the road, those 2 washers take the place of the thickness of the stock needle head that fits neatly inside the underside of that white plastic needle holder

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
those 2 little washers come in a dynojet kit with adjustable needle, and they go directly on top of the e-clip that's on the needle, the reason for the 2 washers is to keep the needle from bouncing up and down when your bike rides over bumps in the road, those 2 washers take the place of the thickness of the stock needle head that fits neatly inside the underside of that white plastic needle holder
They go on top!

That makes sense because I do not recall removing the needle prior to the washers falling out.

Okay, so I have to put the clip back in the right place and then put the washers on the top of the clip, not the bottom.

·
Registered
234 Posts
gtrdave43,
In theory, if these washers are used as an extra way to adjust the needle height, they should be only on the long end of the needle. It means, only under the snap ring. Otherwise, there is no reason to use any. In some resources they are being called "needle shims".
If You doubt me, there's an interesting site about how some guy was re-jetting the Triumph CVK.
https://triumphbonneville.org/re-jetting-the-keihin-cvk-carburetor/
See Shim 1.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
i am confused to what dave is trying to do, why did he remove the carb in the 1st place

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gtrdave43,
In theory, if these washers are used as an extra way to adjust the needle height, they should be only on the long end of the needle. It means, only under the snap ring. Otherwise, there is no reason to use any. In some resources they are being called "needle shims".
If You doubt me, there's an interesting site about how some guy was re-jetting the Triumph CVK.
https://triumphbonneville.org/re-jetting-the-keihin-cvk-carburetor/
See Shim 1.
Yeah, after trying a washer on top and a washer on the bottom, there's no physical way that the washer on top would stay in place. It just flops off the top of the needle. The spring and plastic barrel do not even hold in in place, so I put them both on the bottom w/ the clip back in it's original location.

Also, HUGE NEWS: I discovered why my bike was running so badly.
The dual clamp around the hose that mates the carb to the intake manifold? Well, one side got over tightened and worked its way off the hose, causing the hose to be misaligned with the intake and letting in gobs more air than should have been allowed.
I'd read about this very thing, but didn't suspect anything because I couldn't see the bottom of the hose and clamp UNTIL I removed the carb and hose.
I wondered why the ends of the two sides of the clamp were at different gaps when supposedly tightened.

I just reassembled everything and started the bike.
OMG! The thing started right up with no hesitation and bogging and idled perfectly even after sitting for 2 weeks in the cold. :smile2:

I'll take it for a test ride tomorrow...AFTER I investigate why the rear tire decided to go flat. :frown2:

If it's not one thing...

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
with your adjustable needle and those tiny washers, if you put the washers above the e-clip, it does not affect the gas flow thru the main jet, but if you put any washers BELOW the e-clip, yes it does affect the gas flow and changes the fuel/ratio mixture, putting washers below the e-clip raises the needle upwards

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
ok, tell us what do you have on your bike, like airbox intake type, pipes, why does the bike have an adjustable needle? what notch was the e-clip set at on the needle, what size main jet and pilot jet size is in the carb

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i am confused to what dave is trying to do, why did he remove the carb in the 1st place
I had a bog/hesitation/popping issue for months and one of the suggestions to check was the air cut-off valve which requires carb removal.
While in process of removing said carb, I noticed a problem with the carb-to-intake hose and clamp and figured that it might be the cause of all of my problems.
It was and the bike now runs as good as new.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, tell us what do you have on your bike, like airbox intake type, pipes, why does the bike have an adjustable needle? what notch was the e-clip set at on the needle, what size main jet and pilot jet size is in the carb
Airbox is stock, pipes are Cobra drag pipes and the adjustable needle was installed by a previous owner during, I assume, a carb rebuild.
The clip was on #2 notch from the top and washers are now under said clip.

I have no idea what size jet and/or pilot jet I have as I didn't dig into the carb that far, but the bike once again runs as perfect as the day I bought it. :smile2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts