Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Usually I don't build my routes off a bunch of waypoints per se. Typically I put the start and destination then, if I want to change the path, I drag the route to how I want it to be. When you do it that way I have found you want to place the "dragged" points a little before and/or a little after turns so the map has time to update if it needs to before you are actually there. And, enough so that it actually forces the route. You know the "drag", right? Put the hand over the route place you want to move, then hold down the Alt key, click and hold the mouse button and drag to where you want it?

With a little practice and experimentation you get the feel for what works fairly quickly.

Where the roads and turns are more wide open, so to speak, you need less shaping, generally. Where the turns and such are closer, say trying a specific route through a city, you may need more shaping.

But, for the waypoint method you are working on, once you have built the route, click on the route so you can see the list of points in the route.

Then, for the ones where you don't want notifications, do left click or maybe it's right click on that point and you should see an option to disable notification/alert (or whatever it's called) for that point. That turns those waypoints into what are called shaping points. Repeat as necessary/you see fit.

Unfortunately, it may also have some to do with the specific unit you are using. Some years back Garmin changed the routing engine. On the models after that change, each segment is like a little trip itself, all strung together in a series. Prior to that change the route was more like a complete thing start to finish, with points along the way.

It may seem like semantics but a before and after unit side by side is a clear difference. The earlier models being preferable in this regard. I think only the MC specific and the high end Montanas (or whatever they are now still use the older routing engine or something like it, anyway).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thank you Whoaru99 it was easy to change them in the route plan and as you mentioned about not having the points close to a corner i also had that problem announcing i was at the corner but neglecting to tell me which way to turn, as i said that trip was very annoying. Next year will be better.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
I have a TomTom Rider 400. Very pleased with it. Before that, I used a car TomTom. I kept it dry in an AquaBox, which is designed for using non-MC GPSs on a MC. For route planning, I use MyRouteApp.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts