Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
That's right everyone, I mounted a Nomad 1700 backrest on my 900 Custom this week. What do you think?

I also added a National Cycle 2-Up windshield to my bike. I've never rode a motorcycle with a windshield before; it'll make a huge difference when I'm out riding all day.

Since it has a quick release feature, the CHiPs shield comes off super fast!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wouldn't work visually on a stock Custom but with the seat and bags that you have it looks pretty good. And the grab bars are a big bonus for a pillion or for helping tie down extra luggage.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Methinks the passenger will like it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have the same bike. The only diff is the hypercharger. I have the smooth one. The back rest having the quick release feature is great. I wish mine had that. It would never be on the bike unless the wife or my daughter was with me.
Again you have a very nice bike.

Tim

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think it would look real good with enging guard. With the quick release you can just take it off when not two up. I am looking for something really comfortable fot the wife. I think she would feel secure with the same as you have.

·
Registered
16 Posts
sorry to burst your bubble guys but I believe that only the windshield is a quick detach, especially since he has what looks like modified brackets to the hold the backrest.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all!

Yeah, it's only the windshield that has a quick realease. I can make the rear end 'stock' in about 5 minutes, but I generally leave the bags and backrest in place. The windshield comes off whenever it's just a quick trip. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'd like to see some pics of the mounts of the backrest (where it bolts to the frame) if possible. Your bags are hiding the view !! But yeah it looks good with that seat.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's why the bags are there, to hide my backyard fabrication! Yea, I'll share some pics of the mounts I've made for the backrest and the bags (tomorrow).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Did the Nomad 1700 backrest fit with no problem, Or did you do a lot of mods to make it fit?

Looks good, might have to do it too, If it will work with my 900 Classic

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is the view of the backrest mounts with the saddlebag removed. The front mounting point is the stock location on the 900. On the rear mounting point, I made an aluminum bracket to attach the backrest (please see the second picture). The horizontal aluminum bar you see is for the saddlebag mount. It's totally 'home-school', but most will never know it. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That looks mighty nice. Will be interested in hearing how the windshield performs.
The windshield performs as it should; it does a great job of keeping the wind and road debris out of my face. The quick-release brackets work like a champ and I was able to install the windshield in about 20 minutes. I'd definitely recommend the National Cycle Switchblade to anyone!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Here is the view of the backrest mounts with the saddlebag removed. The front mounting point is the stock location on the 900. On the rear mounting point, I made an aluminum bracket to attach the backrest (please see the second picture). The horizontal aluminum bar you see is for the saddlebag mount. It's totally 'home-school', but most will never know it. :)

Interesting, this gives me an idea. I was thinking about converting my non-quick connect Cobra backrest, by notching the stock holes. Of course that would comprimise the chrome. Seeing what you've come up with, I see I could add a bracket (I need spacers and such anyway because of my "universal" hard bag brackets) and make THAT quick release. Thanks for the inspiration!

Looks good by the way, gotta love customization using a little ingenuity, instead of just bolting on parts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts